Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    However, at least one regional airline (Mesa/US Airways Express) bans the use of Treo's, blackberries etc. all together, most likely because they can't tell if the thing is in flight mode or not. Their announcement says "no smartphones, even in safe mode".
    That must be a new rule. I just flew with them back in February and heard no such announcement. Many times on planes, I have been asked to turn off my Treo while the splash screen is (still) showing its "Powering off" message. Perhaps this is the cause of the ban

Airplanes are so noisy it'd be futile to try and carry on a cell conversation while in the air, IMHO.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsdmems View Post
    "When I fly commercially I see the cell phone ban as blessing; it allows me to... eat lots of peanuts."

You must mean cashews... The food allergy police won't let us (even the NON-allergic ones of us) eat peanuts any more!
    I flew on about 8 different flights last month - each time I got peanuts. That you SWA.
    Forensic Scientist

"When I fly commercially I see the cell phone ban as blessing; it allows me to... eat lots of peanuts."

You must mean cashews... The food allergy police won't let us (even the NON-allergic ones of us) eat peanuts any more!
    LOL!
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    For the folks that say there's no data to support the interference:

http://newsmine.org/archive/9-11/fli...s-on-plane.txt

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06060/662669.stm

When it comes to people's lives what we think we know may not be good enough...
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    That must be a new rule. I just flew with them back in February and heard no such announcement. Many times on planes, I have been asked to turn off my Treo while the splash screen is (still) showing its "Powering off" message. Perhaps this is the cause of the ban

Airplanes are so noisy it'd be futile to try and carry on a cell conversation while in the air, IMHO.
    It is a little inconsistent. I've been on some flights where they have not done it. But on most, they do.

Cashews are better anyway
    Fortunately I like all sorts of nuts, except the ones with two feet.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  8. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    ...I can tell you that it is illegal and refusing to turn off your cell phone is considered interfering with the flight crew - and every week a few folks get to visit with the local LEOs and the FBI once the plane lands and ultimately are arrested for that....
    Cheers

Charles
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    ...I can tell you that it is illegal and refusing to turn off your cell phone is considered interfering with the flight crew - and every week a few folks get to visit with the local LEOs and the FBI once the plane lands and ultimately are arrested for that....
    Thats plenty of reason right there. If you are asked to power off your electronic device by the flight crew, you must do so asap.

My experience with this whole thing is not to make phone calls while in the air... that's annoying and I would slap someone for doing so. It's more of a data thing for me....

My laptop has been stowed and I've already read the magazine in the seat pocket. Having my treo in my hand and nothing to do... tempts me to send a txt, check email, or play a game during the taxi part of the flight. But if the flight attendant asks you to power off... there's no argument, I (and you should) simply do so.

IN ADDITION:

Read: The gadget geek's airline

news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9757104-7.html

Finally, airplanes are getting more and more tech friendly!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123