Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Skahmo View Post
    And now to you guys who feel entitled to belittle someone for beginning a thread with his first post: WTF? I have few posts, so by inference I suppose I'm only slightly less stupid than david_angel, but I know that I found this forum when experiencing issues, and I came here for help. That's why most of us are here. If you gain some kind of strong personal feeling of self-worth through the sheer number of your posts, then fine -- just don't project those standards onto others. A post telling someone to "avoid wasted space" is in itself wasted space.
    Thank you, Skahmo. I have to apologize for my addition to this with my "cute" little sarcastic post. It was uncalled for, and only supported another members criticism of the OP.

I had heard on another very large mobile phone forum that out of all the Treo-specific forums...this one was the one to lurk on, because in addition to the huge amount of information to be gleaned, there was also the wrath of some mega-post members if you asked a "stupid" question that you could have searched for, or had been asked 1000 times before by 1000 newbies...or you used your first-ever post to start a thread. I have asked some "stupid" questions here...even have started a "stupid" thread or two in my budding experience here...and have never been flamed or unduly critisized. In fact, I have been baby-step coached (and am still being helped) by a couple of very experienced members that volunteered their services without my asking. EVERYBODY was a n00b at one time...and some have more post numbers than real experience. To remember that this form is about sharing information and having a "community" of people with like-interests in the Palm Treo product, and not a vehicle for individual egos or agendas is paramount to us all growing and becoming more educated...and our devices becoming more fun and usable in the process.

Thanks to those who helped me...and to continue to offer help.
  2.    #22  
    You do not want to just sync your 650 to your 600's userid. It will create a brick, the 650 chokes on prior software settings on the 600 brought forward in this manner.

Do a last hot sync with your 600 and then follow these clean install instructions:

1. Install the Treo 650 Desktop from it's CD -- it put's 650 conduits into place.

2. Hard Reset your 650, creating a "just out of the box" 650 (unless it is just out of box)

3. Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold) ...Hopefully that's the path that Handspring used, but you get the idea. (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)

4. Before you proceed, right click the Hotsync Manager icon in the program tray, choose Custom and check the action of your PIM conduits (Calendar, Tasks, Memos, Contacts); if any are set to "Handheld overwrites desktop", change them to either Synchronize or DT overwrites HH - otherwise, you will delete all the PIM data on the desktop.

5. Hot Sync the 650 to your userid.

You should have a clean Treo 650 with only your PIM data brought back from the 600.

Now install your desired 3rd party software fresh onto the 650 -- NOT from a backup! (Also, get the newest version, while you are at it.) When you Hot Sync again, a new backup folder is created, with the freshly installed 3rd party software backed up the way the 650 likes it.)

You should be good to go. (Do not HotSync the 600 to this userid again -- that will mess things up.)

Cheers, Perry.
    david_angel -

??? Wrong thread for this response?
    I have to admit that with all the headaches the 680 has caused, it's far better than the 650 was when it first hit the market. It took, what, a year before most of the bugs were ironed out and three(?) firmware updates.

I'm hoping Palm nails most of the problems with the 680 with its first update.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12