Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's here... Location Based Reminders for your Palm Treo...

http://www.swCP3.com/TreoSpot/TreoSpot.GIF ...http://www.swCP3.com/TreoSpot/TreoSpotEdit.GIF

See: http://www.swCP3.com/TreoSpot/TreoSpot_User_Manual.html

Only for GSM phones, sorry CDMA guys...

Last edited by GreenHex; 03/10/2007 at 07:30 AM.
    Game over!
  2.    #2  
    Released v1.1b3

Release Notes:
    • Serial communication code clean-up. Instant response to location queries, now.
    Game over!
    How exactly do I add a location?
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    How exactly do I add a location?
    Press the "X" button below the list (next to where the GID is supposed to be), it will add the current location.

When you are travelling, it can automatically add a (new) location if you have enabled TreoSpot (and have *not enabled* the "Disable when Data Session is Active" checkbox).

In case you know the GID of your location (not an easy thing to know) you can edit the list manually.

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 03/11/2007 at 02:00 PM.
    Game over!
    I used TreoSpot yesterday while driving all over the Atlanta area and it was awesome! It works like a charm on the 680 and I was so excited.

With TS enabled, each time I would enter a new tower area the Treo would beep to let me know to enter the new location. Then, on the way home, it would alert me each time I passed the locations I had entered. It was very cool!

I'll try v1.1b3 today...thanks GreenHex!
    I tried it yesterday and had so pretty severe issues with the application freezing and not allowing any other actions. Unfortunately, it also froze on reset, so I had to be pretty quick in disabling and then removing the app to keep it from freezing after reset.

It could be related to the way I have other apps set up on my 680. On the weekends, I have both chatter and 4cast set to turn off the GPRS connection they update. Is it possible that this was causing my instability?

I'm going to try running again today.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    It could be related to the way I have other apps set up on my 680. On the weekends, I have both chatter and 4cast set to turn off the GPRS connection they update. Is it possible that this was causing my instability?

I'm going to try running again today.
    I hope you are using the latest version v1.1b3. The problems that you mention were probably there in previous releases.

On my Treo 650, I have ChatterEmail running full blast (3 mail boxes), continuously, and with some other apps downloading news, stocks, weather and what-have-you throughout the day (the joys of unlimited data plans!). I've not had problems running my Treo like this.

In fact, TreoSpot shuts down any open GPRS connection and gets the location info. Then Chatter (always on) re-opens it again once TreoSpot is finished. This is the way TreoSpot has been running on my Treo for the past 10 days or so... and no resets.

But that is not to say that you (or others) may not have problems. I suggest you install the latest version and try it. Also I suggest you manually delete TreoSpotDB and Saved and Unsaved Preferences (with FileZ or similar) under 'TrSp' before you install the new version. I changed the layout of the database in one of the previous releases and this could be the reason for the rests.

Post your findings here.

- mvk
    Game over!
    I was going to try it, but I don't like the idea of it shutting down GPRS on me. When does this happen? Could it happen while I'm on the web, downloading email, in an IM conversation, etc?

I know Chatter handles the connection going up and down a bit, but VeriChat wakes the Treo up to do its work to get reconnected, so I wonder how much that will cause a problem.

And could you expand on how it works? Is this a tower ID, so as soon as you have a certain signal from a specified tower, you're "near" it?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I was going to try it, but I don't like the idea of it shutting down GPRS on me. When does this happen? Could it happen while I'm on the web, downloading email, in an IM conversation, etc?
    Ok... it works like this:
    • Every time there is a "registration" the phone sends an event and TreoSpot grabs it.
    • If it is a successful registration (home or roaming) TreoSpot checks to see if the GPRS connection is up.
    • If GPRS is up, it tries to shut it down.
    • If GPRS is shut down, then TreoSpot opens a serial connection to the phone modem and queries for location information.
    • If GPRS cannot be shut, TreoSpot shuts-up.
    • If TreoSpot can successfully acquire location info it closes the serial line immediately and does the alert stuff.
    • If TreoSpot cannot acquire location information, it closes the serial line and exits.
    • On exit if any program requires a GPRS connection, it (*not* TreoSpot) automatically brings it up. Any disconnected session is reconnected.
    The above is how TreoSpot works and it is unfortunate that the (documented) serial connection needs to be shared with GPRS. I've tried to make the whole thing as benign as possible.

I hope the above is clear enough. Do ask in case you have any questions. And no harm trying it out... You can always delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Is this a tower ID, so as soon as you have a certain signal from a specified tower, you're "near" it?
    This is the MCC (Mobile Country Code) + MNC (Mobile Network Code) + LAC (Location Area Code) info. The CellID is ignored (for the time being) as it changes too frequently.

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 03/12/2007 at 10:49 AM.
    Game over!
    Had some problems with the latest version I just downloaded today. *Version 1.1b3*
    Upon enabling, it prompts me to Enter Location Name, unless I accept immediately, it flashes several more prompts up obscuring input to the first and preventing any keypresses from exiting the application. The only action I could perform was to remove the battery to reset (I have a Treo 680), sadly when the phone came on after the reset, TreoSpot did exactly the same thing by flashing up several prompts and locked out all input.

Let me know if I can provide any more details to help you resolve this.
    Last edited by tomtastic; 03/12/2007 at 11:28 AM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    Let me know if I can provide any more details to help you resolve this.
    You are using v1.1b2 or v1.1b3?
    • If you enter a name, does it successfully exit?
    • Are you getting a different GID for each alert? If so it means that the GID is constantly changing and is being registered.
    • The prompts that you mention, are they "Alerts" (has a button) or is it a "Progress Dialog" (no button)?
    I suggest you delete TreoSpotDB and 'TrSp' Saved and Unsaved preferences and try again. (Like I mentioned before, I changed the DB layout and this may cause problems). Maybe shut down GPRS for initial testing.

The statistics so far..
    • 1 user using it without problems
    • 2 users having lockups (even after a reset)
    • 1 user weary of trying...
    I wish some others would post feedback too...

Released v1.1b4
    Last edited by GreenHex; 03/12/2007 at 11:19 AM.
    It seems to be working better now. I wonder if it is because I have chatter turning the GPRS back on (always on), or if I have updated to a more ribust version.

What does 'disable if data session active' throw into the mix?

Should we remove all TrSp files when updating from 1.1b3 to 1.1b4?
    I was using 1.1b3, but have just installed your latest 1.1b4.

* If you enter a name, does it successfully exit?
    Yes, but sometimes there was only a period of a few seconds until another alert popped up and locked the input.

* Are you getting a different GID for each alert? If so it means that the GID is constantly changing and is being registered.
    It's hard to tell, when I'd look at the screen it would be locked up prompting to "Enter Location Name". This still happens with 1.1b4, it's so reproducable that I got a good look at the alerts flashing up and the GID is the same I believe. To reproduce, I enable TreoSpot (add locations to DB is ticked), switch phone connection off then on, seconds later about 4 alerts pop up one after the other and input is locked out.
    It works fine if "Add New Locations to DB" is NOT ticked.

* The prompts that you mention, are they "Alerts" (has a button) or is it a "Progress Dialog" (no button)?
    They're alerts.
    Last edited by tomtastic; 03/12/2007 at 11:50 AM.
  14.    #14  
    It seems to be working better now. I wonder if it is because I have chatter turning the GPRS back on (always on), or if I have updated to a more ribust version.

What does 'disable if data session active' throw into the mix?
    That really is a relief... I was dreading another long night figuring this out.

If you Enable "Disable if data session is active", then TreoSpot does nothing in case GPRS is up (connected). If one manually shuts down GPRS or some other application shuts it down, then TreoSpot will do its bit.

Should we remove all TrSp files when updating from 1.1b3 to 1.1b4?
    No it is not necessary. That change was from 1.0bx to 1.1bx.
    Game over!
    Ouch! removed 1.1b3 (and all TrSp files), installed 1.1b4, invoked program and clicked on (X) to get ID... reset! Then after reset, phone comes up and i get multiple trespot location id dialogs. On the final one, I am unable to input anything (even though I can see the text entry spot and the two (accept) and (cancel) buttons. (Is there a dialog underneath that I can not get to?)

If I cancel them out _very quickly_, I can get to the point where I can manually invoke Treospot and disable it. I then turned on "Disable if Data Session Active" and re-enabled the app.
    Definitely something weird going on while starting up. Maybe it is because I have my phone set to automatically start GPRS on reset. I noticed the following:

1. Reset
    2. Phone Off
    3. Network Search
    4. TreoSpot Dialog
    5. Attaching GPRS
    6. Signing On
    (5&6) overtop the Treospot dialog
    7. 000--:000[]:1000:----
    8. Network Search
    9. Reset

Then it would just reset in a loop, until I managed to get to the launcher and remove it.

P.S. I'm studying the Monsoon circulation for the past few weeks, and will present a review of a paper entitled, "Increasing Trend of Extreme Rain Events Over India in a Warming Environment". Get set for more thunderstorms!
    Last edited by jaytee; 03/12/2007 at 12:04 PM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    It's hard to tell, when I'd look at the screen it would be locked up prompting to "Enter Location Name". This still happens with 1.1b4, it's so reproducable that I got a good look at the alerts flashing up and the GID is the same I believe. To reproduce, I enable TreoSpot (add locations to DB is ticked), reset (remove battery), enable phone when the Treo has switched back on, seconds later about 4 alerts pop up one after the other and input is locked out.
    If you have some time, you could do an experiment (with v1.1b4):
    • Uninstall everything... TreoSpot.PRC, TreoSpotDB, 'TrSp' Saved and Unsaved preferences.
    • Switch on phone (if off), but switch off GPRS (only for this experiment).
    • Install TreoSpot v1.1b4. (don't reset the phone, yet)
    • Start-up TreoSpot. It will be enabled by default. DISABLE it.
    • Now check if "Add new locations to DB" is enabled.
    • Uncheck "Disable if Data Session is Active" (if already enabled, it shouldn't).
    • Exit TreoSpot... by pressing any hardbutton.
    • Launch TreoSpot... you settings should be intact.
    • Now press the X below the list box (next to the GID) and see what happens.
    Now, if you feel confident enough that things are ok... and as it should be, you can enable TreoSpot, and maybe switch off and switch on the phone.

- mvk
  18.    #18  
    P.S. I'm studying the Monsoon circulation for the past few weeks, and will present a review of a paper entitled, "Increasing Trend of Extreme Rain Events Over India in a Warming Environment". Get set for more thunderstorms!
    Yeah... the Northern part of India is under a spell. Here (West) things are as sticky as they normally are and is getting warmer by the day.

So... there is a start-up problem with the Treo 680. That, I'm trying to fix. Nothing should happen at start-up even on a Treo 650, though there are no problems with it.
    The procedure listed below works just dandy. It finds a GID and I can enter the location.

Trying it now after a reset with the automatic restart of chatter on reset turned off and treospot enabled.

It still resets. It appears to be enabling treospot and trying to get a GID before I have registered with the Cingular network. (lots of 0's in the GID)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    If you have some time, you could do an experiment (with v1.1b4):
    • Uninstall everything... TreoSpot.PRC, TreoSpotDB, 'TrSp' Saved and Unsaved preferences.
    • Switch on phone (if off), but switch off GPRS (only for this experiment).
    • Install TreoSpot v1.1b4. (don't reset the phone, yet)
    • Start-up TreoSpot. It will be enabled by default. DISABLE it.
    • Now check if "Add new locations to DB" is enabled.
    • Uncheck "Disable if Data Session is Active" (if already enabled, it shouldn't).
    • Exit TreoSpot... by pressing any hardbutton.
    • Launch TreoSpot... you settings should be intact.
    • Now press the X below the list box (next to the GID) and see what happens.
    Now, if you feel confident enough that things are ok... and as it should be, you can enable TreoSpot, and maybe switch off and switch on the phone.

- mvk
    This is pretty cool.

1. What about CDMA?
    2. What about allowing GoogleMaps to utilize the location-based data?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast