Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker View Post
    This is pretty cool.

1. What about CDMA?
    2. What about allowing GoogleMaps to utilize the location-based data?

oooh! you are thinking way too far ahead. But that is the aim.

Going from the GID to a location on a map is a big jump. But at least that is what I aim at with TreoSpot.

CDMA is completely different. The main reason I've not got into it is I don't have a CDMA phone here.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    If a picture paints a thousand words this video should give you a better idea of whats happening.
    tomtastic, and jaytee...

I got the problem. It appears like jaytee has said, that it tries to get the GID before the phone is up. Now you guys take a break (its too late here too for me to even keep my eyes open).

On the video it appears that you have no signal (or at least a very weak one).

I'll fix this problem shortly and post soon.

- mvk

PS: both you guys have the 680, right?
    Yep... at least I have a 680.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    tomtastic, and jaytee...

I got the problem. It appears like jaytee has said, that it tries to get the GID before the phone is up. Now you guys take a break (its too late here too for me to even keep my eyes open).

On the video it appears that you have no signal (or at least a very weak one).

I'll fix this problem shortly and post soon.

- mvk

PS: both you guys have the 680, right?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Yep... at least I have a 680.
    Uploaded v1.1b5

Release Notes:
    • It's all fixed-up (reset problem etc. on the 680). It should have been done this way from the begining, but I got lazy... (I don't have a 680, but there should not be any problems anymore).
    http://www.swCP3.com/TreoSpot/TreoSpot.zip

Post feedback here.
    Ok... it works like this:

[...]

I hope the above is clear enough. Do ask in case you have any questions. And no harm trying it out... You can always delete it.
    Sounds clear enough.. Yeah, I'll just have to see how it works.

This is the MCC (Mobile Country Code) + MNC (Mobile Network Code) + LAC (Location Area Code) info. The CellID is ignored (for the time being) as it changes too frequently.

- mvk
    So what kind of area are we talking (assuming dense city here, not in the boonies with towers up on hills), 1 mile? 5 miles?
    I wasn't experiencing any of the reported problems using v1.1b3, is it because I don't use Chatter? A couple of times I did have TreoSpot do the recurring "retrieving data" thing, but pressing the home key got me out of it without needing a soft reset.

I've been using v1.1b4 all day and it was also fine...perhaps the other apps using the GPRS signal had an effect. I'll try v1.1b5 next... (GreenHex, that's the "wondering" smiley, I'm not rolling my eyes!)
    Okay, that's the rolled eyes smiley. The latest version (1.1b5) won't let me add any locations. When I hit the "Add" button, it just flashes and goes back to the TreoSpot screen. I deleted the previous version and it's database before I installed this one.
    Some functionality questions for GreenHex:

• When the phone is off and one tries to tag a location by pressing the 'X', could TreoSpot ask the user whether the phone should be switched on, instead of just doing nothing?
    • When accepting an alert for a new GID without entering a location name, could a default name be stored instead of doing nothing?
    • When an alert is displayed for a new GID and nothing is done, it's possible for several new alerts to overlap each other, would replacing the alert be possible instead so that the user is only left with a single alert to choose whether to name or cancel.

TreoSpot no longer locks up my 680 with overlapping alerts, instead each alert can be dealt with one after the other.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    The latest version (1.1b5) won't let me add any locations. When I hit the "Add" button, it just flashes and goes back to the TreoSpot screen.
    Still having the problem? Is the "Add new locations to DB" enabled?

I think what is happening is, you already have the location in the DB AND an alert active, clear it and things should be fine.

From now on, please don't delete your TreoSpotDBs, just disable TreoSpot, replace with new PRC and move on... You can't keep building new databases with each release...

I don't indend to modify the DB layout anytime soon.

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 03/12/2007 at 10:12 PM.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    So what kind of area are we talking (assuming dense city here, not in the boonies with towers up on hills), 1 mile? 5 miles?
    The GSM documentation says... "2 km to 20 km" and in some cases ("pico cells") down to 150 m. I've found cell locations in my area (quiet a dense city) to be at the lower end of the spectrum (2-5 km).

Obviously, you'll get best results if the (active) alert locations are widely spaced (physically).

Actually, TreoSpot is not software that is useful right out of the box. You need to set-up the databases, and become aware of your surroundings and get used to TreoSpot's response to it.

It can all be interesting - or frustrating if you are not in the mood for it.

- mvk
    The GSM documentation says... "2 km to 20 km" and in some cases ("pico cells") down to 150 m. I've found cell locations in my area (quiet a dense city) to be at the lower end of the spectrum (2-5 km).

Obviously, you'll get best results if the (active) alert locations are widely spaced (physically).

Actually, TreoSpot is not software that is useful right out of the box. You need to set-up the databases, and become aware of your surroundings and get used to TreoSpot's response to it.

It can all be interesting - or frustrating if you are not in the mood for it.

- mvk
    Nah, I like tinkering with stuff. Just curious what to expect. Like for instance, I shop very near work. So if I go to work, it's going to tell me to pick up bread, and when I go to shop it's going to tell me to make sure I bring home my laptop for my late night teleconference
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Nah, I like tinkering with stuff. Just curious what to expect. Like for instance, I shop very near work. So if I go to work, it's going to tell me to pick up bread, and when I go to shop it's going to tell me to make sure I bring home my laptop for my late night teleconference
    That's exactly the scenario were TreoSpot will be useful.

I like to tinker too, but what I normally do is install it, and immediately push all the buttons. No questions asked.

Anyways...

Uploaded v1.1b6

Release Notes:
    • Some enhancements/ modifications suggested by you guys.
    Last edited by GreenHex; 03/13/2007 at 06:21 AM.
    I'm still getting pretty nasty reset scenarios when I have Chatter and treospot both contending for attention when the treo reboots. I am guessing that Chatter tries to turn ON the GPRS and Treospot tries to turn it OFF. Sounds like a day at the races to me.

All is well if I do not enable Treospot and then reset. If I haIve Chatter restart the phone (radio) automatically, even if Chatter isn't running, I get a bunch of dialogs with 0000:000 etc in them and then a reset. Chatter turns the phone (radio) on about 5 seconds after boot up, but it still seems like (on reset) Treospot doesn't wait long enough after detecting the phone is on.

(The phone is on, but it hasn't registered with the carrier yet, I think)

P.S. That wasn't a very long nap! I hope you take a power nap this afternoon!

P.P.S. I finished getting my monsoon presentation ready for class tomorrow. You guys have rainfall data all the way back to 1871 for 300+ stations! And over 1800 for the last 50 years! Nice! (And some very good atmospheric electricity studies right there in Pune I believe.)
    Last edited by jaytee; 03/12/2007 at 10:54 PM. Reason: misspelled Pune (yikes)
  14.    #34  
    I'm still getting pretty nasty reset scenarios when I have Chatter and treospot both contending for attention when the treo reboots. I am guessing that Chatter tries to turn ON the GPRS and Treospot tries to turn it OFF. Sounds like a day at the races to me.
    I think I got your problem... I'll fix it today... I assume that everything is fine once your Treo is successfully booted and running... and this is just a start-up problem.

(The phone is on, but it hasn't registered with the carrier yet, I think)
    This is what I fixed in 1.1b5

P.P.S. I finished getting my monsoon presentation ready for class tomorrow. You guys have rainfall data all the way back to 1871 for 300+ stations! And over 1800 for the last 50 years! Nice! (And some very good atmospheric electricity studies right there in Pune I believe.)
    Must thank the British who set-up all the basic infrastrucuture to mange this huge and chaotic country...

Pune incidentally has IMD (India Metereological Department) just a stones throw away from my work place.
  15.    #35  
    Uploaded v1.1b7

Release Notes:

• Ignores new location registration within three minutes of any particular registration. This is to prevent spurious alerts resulting form hunting, or lockups due to serial line contention with GPRS. This may result in missed alerts, and will be fixed in a future release.
    • Display last visit time in Edit form.

http://www.swCP3.com/TreoSpot/TreoSpot.zip
    Still having the problem? Is the "Add new locations to DB" enabled?
    - mvk
    I'm so sorry...my inner ditz is showing

I had soft reset my phone and it was off the whole time. I didn't notice it until this morning when I went to try v1.1b7. It's all working fine now...
    I notice I'm getting a lot of very similar GIDs. I suspect they are really the same location. They appear like this:
    310-:410|:10CD:----
    310-:410":10CD:----
    310-:410<:10CD:---

and a few more with characters I can't find easily on the keyboard ;-)

(This is with Cingular/ATT in Atlanta)
  18.    #38  
    I notice I'm getting a lot of very similar GIDs. I suspect they are really the same location. They appear like this:
    310-:410|:10CD:----
    310-:410":10CD:----
    310-:410<:10CD:---

and a few more with characters I can't find easily on the keyboard ;-)

(This is with Cingular/ATT in Atlanta)
    Yeah... I've fixed this, and I now have a near final release that I'll be posting soon (tonight/ tomorrow).

The second number that is changing (MNC) is supposed to be two digits or three digits max. The spurious characters are causing problems.

1st number MCC is 3 digits
    2nd number MNC is 2 or 3 digits
    3rd number LAC is 4 digits
    4th number CellID is 4 digits (we ignore it for the time being)

Anybody getting resets when TreoSpot is displaying alerts?

- mvk

- mvk
    I haven't had any resets at all...
    I only get resets if i have chatter set to automatically start after resets. Then I think Chatter and Treospot contend for the line at the same time (Chatter turning on GPRS and Treospot assumming or turning it off).

Yeah... I've fixed this, and I now have a near final release that I'll be posting soon (tonight/ tomorrow).

The second number that is changing (MNC) is supposed to be two digits or three digits max. The spurious characters are causing problems.

1st number MCC is 3 digits
    2nd number MNC is 2 or 3 digits
    3rd number LAC is 4 digits
    4th number CellID is 4 digits (we ignore it for the time being)

Anybody getting resets when TreoSpot is displaying alerts?

- mvk

- mvk
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast