Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Is the Slingbox EVER going to come out for us folks that have the 700p?

Yes, I know it's in Beta Version. But it seems like it's been in Beta Version forever! Maybe I'm too impatient, but I would have thought this thing would have been available to us TREO 700P people by now! Wouldn't you?

And please, please don't tell me it's expected to be out by the end of the quarter....which is what I've been 'hearing.'
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Is the Slingbox EVER going to come out for us folks that have the 700p?

Yes, I know it's in Beta Version. But it seems like it's been in Beta Version forever! Maybe I'm too impatient, but I would have thought this thing would have been available to us TREO 700P people by now! Wouldn't you?

And please, please don't tell me it's expected to be out by the end of the quarter....which is what I've been 'hearing.'
    I guess ya know Sling released the SlingPlayer Mobile Beta for the 700p this morning, or if ya didn't now ya do

A number of journalists have had it for a month, and had to stifle themselves as the reviews that appeared everywhere starting last night had to be held until the software was released. I worked on mine all last weekend.

Do you know what it's like to have a new product you want to scream to the world about and you can't? I've only been writing professionally for 22 years (so I'm kinda new at it .. but have also Beta tested countless programs and when a company trusts someone with unreleased software, not only do they expect you to keep it to yourself, but to hush up about it until they say otherwise.. most people repect and maintain that trust, but sometimes someone just can't resist premature blabbing..

One joker jumped the gun and released a review early.. Sling execs were not pleased by this, to put it mildly, and had to make a decision to either get that guy to take down his review, or tell all the other writers to go ahead and post.. totally screwing up their carefully planned strategy and causing them a LOT of extra work.. they chose the latter, which is why I got the green light to put up my review last night.. I was in touch with Sling for a couple hours last night waiting for them to tell me what the decision was..

Sling didn't want to release it until they were satisifed with it. A flakey first release can often make or break a comapny and their reputation.. I found some bugs in the first Beta they gave me a month ago, reported them, others duplicated them, and they were fixed. The Beta you can download is rock solid, in my opinion. The whole Slingbox concept verges on magic to me.. especially the ability to watch and control my cable teevee box on a phone! Bell or Edison's heads would explode if they were around and could see this kind of technology actually work..

Sling said first quarter, 2007, and they delivered.. with days to spare.. so go grab it and have fun. It truly is a killer app.. and gets a place of honor in my top ten all-time favorite PalmOS programs..

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 03/28/2007 at 12:38 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Thanks for the update. I'm a journalist myself, but guessed they didn't trust me.