1.    #1  
    I am bravely (for me, anyway) stepping into downloading some apps into my 680 this weekend...and want to be 100% sure that the apps I load are tried and true for working perfectly with the 680 w/o making it unstable at all. I am a total n00b to all this, and don't want to screw up a good thing.

Could some of you more experienced 680-users give me a rundown on some must-have software that you have on your personal phone, what it does, and how effective it is?

I am really wanting some stuff to easily set recurrent wake-up alarms, an app for a personal daily/monthly planner, an app for easy file managing and opening, a personal finance/budget app, and a great fitness/diet app, as well as some others. I might even want a volume app to raise the earpiece speaker and speakerphone volume a tad.

Thanks for the help!!
    In my opinion:
    Datebook 6 is a category killer app and very stable.
    Check the stickies at the front of some of the forums. There's usually a post about software compatibility or favourite apps. Also, do a search on your keywords (like planning or finance) and see what people suggest. Once you find a few apps, so another search on that and see if people are reporting problems.

First off, I suggest a good backup program because you never know. A HotSync is not the same as a full backup. I use RescoBackup.

If you plan on trying out software, I suggest getting Uninstall Manager first. It lets you delete what you tried and didn't like and gets all the bits and pieces. The built-in Delete from the Launcher doesn't always get everything.

DateBk6 works well on the 680 and will give you the alarms and planner. It does a whole lot more as well so take some time to go through the manual or you may be overwhelmed.

If you're talking about managing physical files, then FileZ will handle almost everything you might want to do. It's free.

If you're talking about launching applications, that's a whole different ballgame. If you're fairly new at Palm devices, I suggest using the built-in launcher for a while and then deciding what else you need. There are lots of alternatives.

For diet and fitness I use Diet & Exercise Assistant from Keyoe. I tried a bunch and liked it's combination of features and interface. There's also an optional desktop app.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    You might want to look at adding Uninstall Manager or the NeatFreak Pack first. That will monitor any additional apps you install and completely delete the ones you don't want to keep.

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-295.html (Uninstall Manager)
    http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-847.html (NeatFreak Pack)

You should already have FileZ if you sucessfully changed your dialpad skin . Did you see that three more colors were posted in that thread? Green, Orange and Pink...remember to delete the blue dialpad, using FileZ, if you want to change to another color. You can only have one on the device at a time. FileZ is the best file management system IMO.

I use PocketQuicken to manage finances...it syncs with Desktop Quicken, so it's nice if you're already using that for your finances.

KeyCaps is a nice program that eliminates the need to hit the Shift key for capital letters and the Option key for symbols. Much faster data input...

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-22.html

It says it's for the 600, but there is also a version listed for the 650 that works great on my 680.

Remember...go slow. And you can PM again anytime, if you need help
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    I am bravely (for me, anyway) stepping into downloading some apps into my 680 this weekend...and want to be 100% sure that the apps I load are tried and true for working perfectly with the 680 w/o making it unstable at all. I am a total n00b to all this, and don't want to screw up a good thing.

Could some of you more experienced 680-users give me a rundown on some must-have software that you have on your personal phone, what it does, and how effective it is?

I am really wanting some stuff to easily set recurrent wake-up alarms, an app for a personal daily/monthly planner, an app for easy file managing and opening, a personal finance/budget app, and a great fitness/diet app, as well as some others. I might even want a volume app to raise the earpiece speaker and speakerphone volume a tad.

Thanks for the help!!
    First software to have if you have any data or programs already on the Treo.. NVBackup. Back up the Treo to SD card before doing anything else. If it goes horribly wrong for some reason, you can easily restore it.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm a little embarassed, in my not going to the stickies first...or doing an advanced search, since I'm not exactly a newbie to phone forums...just one to Treos, and smartphones in general. I don't want to eff up my phone with the wrong stuff. Thanks for sparing me a major flame...

I'm going to take it baby-step easy for now, and see how things work.
    A search can yield good results but here....

Mobile Alarm
    Agendus 11.0
    Diet and Ex. Assistant
    Adarian Money
    File Prog (free)

I have all those on - best in class IMHO.....do a search for em here.....http://www.palmfocus.com/software.php
    Fred
    Cingular 680