1.    #1  
    This folows on from Aryeh's post in the thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...137462&page=24 about pairing the Treo 700wx with two headsets (one of which is a stereo Plantronics Pulsar 590a). I decided to split the thread so that we could talk about this (IMHO) great headset and also ask a general question about stereo headsets and driving.

I just tried the phone with both headsets (didn't take long for the curiosity to get the better of me). I actually found it easier with two headsets and one phone than I did with one headset and 2 phones.

I started by turning on my Motorola headset. The first time I tried this, it actually worked without "Setting as hands free". Luck I guess. From then on I had to "manually set as hands free" with the plantronics turned off if I wanted the motorola to be the main headset.

The cool part was using the Plantronics. I used the pause/mute button to activate A2DP on the Treo. Once I had done that, the Plantronics was ready to activate calls by double pressing the call button to do last number redial. In other words I was able to connect without touching the Treo. Sweet.

Now, to open this up to others on the list - is there a precedent for approved usage of headsets/headphones on the road.

I know that in Massachusetts covering both ears is illegal, but the way the law is worded (MGL 90 13 for those with time to waste) it seems like they make no distinction between both ears covered and a standard Jabra headset if it is not used in the direct maneuvering of the vehicle (i.e. if you are talking about anything other than how to get from A to B it is illegal?!?).

I thought from my radio ham days that anything went as long as only one ear was covered, so if you put the other phone behind your head, you are ok. But it appears that this might be a dangerous idea (particularly if you like to break every other rule on the road to entice cops to pay attention to you). Not a good idea to start arguing the law after you have been pulled over.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

I also have to add that the headset is actually quite comfortable when worn with one muff behind the ear.
    Quote Originally Posted by calebu2 View Post

I know that in Massachusetts covering both ears is illegal, but the way the law is worded (MGL 90 13 for those with time to waste) it seems like they make no distinction between both ears covered and a standard Jabra headset if it is not used in the direct maneuvering of the vehicle (i.e. if you are talking about anything other than how to get from A to B it is illegal?!?).

I thought from my radio ham days that anything went as long as only one ear was covered, so if you put the other phone behind your head, you are ok. But it appears that this might be a dangerous idea (particularly if you like to break every other rule on the road to entice cops to pay attention to you). Not a good idea to start arguing the law after you have been pulled over.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

I also have to add that the headset is actually quite comfortable when worn with one muff behind the ear.
    Hi,

Sorry. I have been away with minimal access to a real computer. I tried doing it from my Treo but I had poor reception.

I agree with your interpertation of the law. It makes sense that it should be no different than wearing a standard bt headset that only covers one ear.

I also agree that they are very comfortable.

Unfortunately, I am still having some issues with them and this is even if I only have the Plantronics paired. i'm wondering if I have some kind of unstable file somewhere because I have also been having a problem with my launcher program where after a soft reset not all my shortcust to my programs show up as the proper icon. they just show up as a generic icon.

Here are the issues I'm still having:

1) They still have intermitent drop-outs especially when I answer a call while listening to a stream. It almost always drops the evdo and does not pick it back up.

2) I can't have both my Plantronics and my standard Treo headset on at the same time because the Treo gets confused when a call comes in and won't connect either headset.

3) When I play music is WMP, the volume will sometimes be at 0% and sometimes at what the last value was

4) the controlls do not always work from the headphones

So that's where I'm holding. I also hate that I have to set as wireless stereo each time I turn them on. Thanks though for the wonderful tip of doing it from the headphones. Works usually. I hope someone comes up with a good fix soon.

Thanks,
    Aryeh
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by calebu2 View Post
    Well, my argument for having something on both years is that you can not hear traffic either while you cruise arround listen to loud music anyway, so i do not think it will make any difference. Of course the law might differ.

I also think that the danger from mobile phones while driving is NOT that you can not hear other traffic, but that you can not concentrate on driving while talking on the phone. So again i dont think that covering both ears should be breaking the law. But the law might disagree.

Thats why i would advocate getting a nokia HS-12w, because it is hanging arround your neck and then there are wires up to the actual ear plugs, which are regular ear plugs, not in ear like sony ericssons similar device.

So, you can let the ear plugs hang free and only plug them into your ear when the phone is ringing. Or one ear.