1.    #1  
    Hello,

I'm a first time poster, long time reader.

I'm trying to figure out whether my issue is with my Treo 700p or with the Sprint PCS network. Ever since I got my Treo 700p, I've had virtually no coverage inside my apartment (I live in New York City, NY) and in the surrounding area.

Several trouble tickets to Sprint's networking department haven't yielded any satisfactory results (they said that everything is just fine on the network). However, if I set my Treo to force roam on VZW, I get full coverage and everything works as advertised.

So, my question is - could that be a Treo 700p issue or is that a network issue that I need to keep pestering Sprint about?

Thanks!
    Have your phone updated.. But so far next to sanyo phones the treo has excellent signal. My old samsung phone could not even pick up single in my basement and as soon as I had my treo activated I could call people from my basement. Also get signal in the familys vacation condo before I would have to go outside and talk, even the sanyos have trouble getting a signal inside the condo. (but after an update of one of the sanyo phones that changed)

Try a PRL update, then ***** more to spring sounds like a local issue.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    Have your phone updated.. But so far next to sanyo phones the treo has excellent signal. My old samsung phone could not even pick up single in my basement and as soon as I had my treo activated I could call people from my basement. Also get signal in the familys vacation condo before I would have to go outside and talk, even the sanyos have trouble getting a signal inside the condo. (but after an update of one of the sanyo phones that changed)

Try a PRL update, then ***** more to spring sounds like a local issue.
    I tried a PRL update already - it helped somewhat, but not really (usually I have a flat 0 bars - but not "No Service").
    Treo seems to have soso signal strength. I was hiking up in the Rocky Mountains and a friend's Sprint phone had a signal and could make calls while my Sprint Treo couldn't.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    Treo seems to have soso signal strength. I was hiking up in the Rocky Mountains and a friend's Sprint phone had a signal and could make calls while my Sprint Treo couldn't.
    I think that might be true when your talking about mountainous terrain - but how does that translate into a supposedly well-covered area in a major commercial city?
    ive tried them all, and sanyo by far has the best signal, but i have to admit the treo has pretty damn good signal also. if you cant get signal with your treo, theres not much you can do.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhuebner View Post
    ive tried them all, and sanyo by far has the best signal, but i have to admit the treo has pretty damn good signal also. if you cant get signal with your treo, theres not much you can do.
    Yes, but my question in this case is that is it possible that I have a bad/corrupt Phone app or broken radio?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mripguru View Post
    Yes, but my question in this case is that is it possible that I have a bad/corrupt Phone app or broken radio?
    I'd asume by the nature of your first post that you had a Sprint phone before and now you upgraded to a 700p. Is that true? If so I'd pay more attention to option 2 comment. If you did not have Sprint service before, then start with option 1 and if that shows a somewhat reliable connection, pay close attention to 2.

OPTION 1. Corrupt/Bad Hardware

If you have a friend that also has a Sprint phone, try comparing the signal strenghts in the same place (your appartment would be the prime location to try this out). The best of course would be to try with another Treo 700p from Sprint.

There may be differences in the hardware yes, but this help gauge the network reliability. If the other Sprint phone has, say, 1 bar inside the app. and 3 outside in the immediate vicinity of your Treo, then yo may have to replace your Treo.

Another way would be to test it in your place of work and/or elsewhere with Sprint phones. If anyone can get a strong signal but you can't, could be the indication of a bad receiver. Antennas can count yes, but all in all the Treo has the best antenna since it is external to the device. Anyhow, compare the phones side by side to see who gets the more bars.

OPTION 2. Your environment at home changed.

The esoteric mojo behind network coverage is too complex to cover in a post like this, but basically your problems may be due to something called multipath. When a wireless signal travels through space (air), it gets bounced, reflected, blocked and attenuated by all the obstacles between the base station and your current location. All of those effects can cause a signal to completely dissapear in a specific point in space, while in other locations the signal gets... and it may sound counter-intuitive... the signal "strenghtens" and you get reliable coverage.

Questions to ask to see if indeed your environment has changed:

- Is there a construction site nearby that wasn't there before?
    - Have you shuffled furniture around your apartment? Not to be a nosy neighbor but, have your neighbors bought new furniture and/or appliances? Have you heard them move stuff around?
    - Do you or nearby places have tinted windows or metallic blinds that weren't there before?
    - Are there more humans living in the building? It is a weird question I know, but more humans walking around causes more signal attenuation.

All of the above can drastically change the way your phone reacts to the base station. As an example, my phone in the office can go from 1-2 bars to zero coverage while sitting in its cradle. And the availability of coverage is directly related to how many people is in the building and how much stuff gets moved around (chairs, cabinets, what have you). I get perfect coverage early morning, lunch time and past 5pm, but nothing in between.

Anyhow, these are easy things to try out to discover what the funk is going on with your Treo.

waldo15
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i have weird issues too. i work in downtown chicago where there is very good Sprint coverage. randomly my signal will go to 0 or 1 bars while the phone is sitting stationary on my desk. of course when the signal gets down this low my treo goes nuts looking for a signal. it often finds a 1xrtt signal which it refuses to let go of until i force a disconnect. after a minute or 2 it goes back up to full strength. i'd like to turn off roaming but i use it almost daily.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    I'd asume by the nature of your first post that you had a Sprint phone before and now you upgraded to a 700p. Is that true? If so I'd pay more attention to option 2 comment. If you did not have Sprint service before, then start with option 1 and if that shows a somewhat reliable connection, pay close attention to 2.

OPTION 1. Corrupt/Bad Hardware

If you have a friend that also has a Sprint phone, try comparing the signal strenghts in the same place (your appartment would be the prime location to try this out). The best of course would be to try with another Treo 700p from Sprint.

There may be differences in the hardware yes, but this help gauge the network reliability. If the other Sprint phone has, say, 1 bar inside the app. and 3 outside in the immediate vicinity of your Treo, then yo may have to replace your Treo.

Another way would be to test it in your place of work and/or elsewhere with Sprint phones. If anyone can get a strong signal but you can't, could be the indication of a bad receiver. Antennas can count yes, but all in all the Treo has the best antenna since it is external to the device. Anyhow, compare the phones side by side to see who gets the more bars.

OPTION 2. Your environment at home changed.

The esoteric mojo behind network coverage is too complex to cover in a post like this, but basically your problems may be due to something called multipath. When a wireless signal travels through space (air), it gets bounced, reflected, blocked and attenuated by all the obstacles between the base station and your current location. All of those effects can cause a signal to completely dissapear in a specific point in space, while in other locations the signal gets... and it may sound counter-intuitive... the signal "strenghtens" and you get reliable coverage.

Questions to ask to see if indeed your environment has changed:

- Is there a construction site nearby that wasn't there before?
    - Have you shuffled furniture around your apartment? Not to be a nosy neighbor but, have your neighbors bought new furniture and/or appliances? Have you heard them move stuff around?
    - Do you or nearby places have tinted windows or metallic blinds that weren't there before?
    - Are there more humans living in the building? It is a weird question I know, but more humans walking around causes more signal attenuation.

All of the above can drastically change the way your phone reacts to the base station. As an example, my phone in the office can go from 1-2 bars to zero coverage while sitting in its cradle. And the availability of coverage is directly related to how many people is in the building and how much stuff gets moved around (chairs, cabinets, what have you). I get perfect coverage early morning, lunch time and past 5pm, but nothing in between.

Anyhow, these are easy things to try out to discover what the funk is going on with your Treo.

waldo15
    I actually had Assurion replace my Treo 700p with another Treo 700p (the device keeps consistently freezing/rebooting/crashing on ROM based apps) and so far (it arrived around lunch time EST) - it seems like the new Treo 700p (it wasn't a refurb) is doing better than the old Treo 700p (but not perfect).

So, with that in mind - is it possible that it's a combination of options 1 and 2? (I've confirmed that the A920 as well as an old Kyocera POS have the same issue).

There's actually quite a bit of in-building construction going on from what I can hear. So, that may be the issue - I guess I may just have to roam on VZW when I need to make a call and my native service isn't working properly.