Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Sorry Merlyn_3D, I reported my experience accurately. I am in the car for 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night. My Palm Treo Headset has never disconnected. . . . before, during or after a call or multipe calls.

I do not dispute that other's are experiencing problems -- but do not insult me by saying that I am lying about my experience with the device.

Yes, I have used Palm devices for 10 years --and it will take alot for me to switch away from Palm -- because I would have to re-purchase much software to get the utility of my device recreated in some other format.

FanBoy has always been such a dismissive term for me. . . . . . . I have always posted fairly and in most cases indicated that there is evidence to the contrary. I feel that your attack was unjustified. You may be angry and frustrated -- but do not dump on me because of it, I expected better from you.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...12&postcount=8
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...00&postcount=3

Cheers, Perry.
    I never meant for my post to be viewed as an attack, because it is not. I have plenty of respect for you, Perry, and nothing against you. I'm sorry that you misconstrued it as an attack. Fanboy is not a term I use in the derogatory sense either. I'm not accusing you of lying either, but I'm just not sure you're seeing what I'm trying to tell you about these headset disconnects. Do the following after making a few calls with your headset connected for the call:

• end the call
    • leave the treo on your desk and allow it to turn off
    • watch it while the headset it still connected
    • see if the screen turns back on within a few minutes, if it does, look at the bluetooth icon, it's probably back to the plain bluetooth icon
    • hit ok to get past the keyguard and now look at the bluetooth icon, it's back to the headset icon because the headset reconnected to the phone, which is why the screen lit up in the first place

What I think you may not be seeing here is that the phone and headset still disconnect for a few seconds, but when the headset sees this happening, it reconnects to your phone so you don't perceive this as a disconnect because you don't know any better if the phone is in your pocket. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on here as well. Even if the end user sees this as it not disconnecting, it's still a big issue because I have gotten calls before the headset had reconnected to the phone, and I didn't know it and expected the call to be in the headset. It's also a drain on battery, both for turning the screen on and putting the bluetooth radio into active mode to reconnect both devices. I have confirmed this on Palm's own bluetooth headset as well, so I urge you to take a look carefully and see if your treo really does not disconnect from your headset.

Once again, I don't want my post to be read as an attack on you, because that's not what it is. I just want you to know that even the headsets on palm's compatibility list don't fully work. Granted, they work a LOT better than ones that aren't on it, but still. And you're absolutely right, I'm frustrated with Palm because I've lost a lot of money on the 700p, and seen no support, communication or anything of the like in return for what was and still is one of the most expensive mass market phones sold in the world.

At this point, the only thing palm could do in my eyes to redeem themselves is to offer to replace all the 700p's users have complained about with the 755 (if that truly is a hardware fix/replacement for the 700p). We have already paid up the wazoo for our phones, and received nothing but grief in return, and the lack of funding to buy another phone (in our cell phone budget) because of the expense of this one. I would also accept a full cash refund for the purchase price of both of the 700p's on my account plus whatever tax I had to pay on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    I never meant for my post to be viewed as an attack, because it is not. I have plenty of respect for you, Perry, and nothing against you. I'm sorry that you misconstrued it as an attack. Fanboy is not a term I use in the derogatory sense either. I'm not accusing you of lying either, but I'm just not sure you're seeing what I'm trying to tell you about these headset disconnects. Do the following after making a few calls with your headset connected for the call:
    • end the call
    • leave the treo on your desk and allow it to turn off
    • watch it while the headset it still connected
    • see if the screen turns back on within a few minutes, if it does, look at the bluetooth icon, it's probably back to the plain bluetooth icon
    • hit ok to get past the keyguard and now look at the bluetooth icon, it's back to the headset icon because the headset reconnected to the phone, which is why the screen lit up in the first place

What I think you may not be seeing here is that the phone and headset still disconnect for a few seconds, but when the headset sees this happening, it reconnects to your phone so you don't perceive this as a disconnect because you don't know any better if the phone is in your pocket. It took me a little while to figure out what was going on here as well. Even if the end user sees this as it not disconnecting, it's still a big issue because I have gotten calls before the headset had reconnected to the phone, and I didn't know it and expected the call to be in the headset. It's also a drain on battery, both for turning the screen on and putting the bluetooth radio into active mode to reconnect both devices. I have confirmed this on Palm's own bluetooth headset as well, so I urge you to take a look carefully and see if your treo really does not disconnect from your headset.

Once again, I don't want my post to be read as an attack on you, because that's not what it is. I just want you to know that even the headsets on palm's compatibility list don't fully work. Granted, they work a LOT better than ones that aren't on it, but still. And you're absolutely right, I'm frustrated with Palm because I've lost a lot of money on the 700p, and seen no support, communication or anything of the like in return for what was and still is one of the most expensive mass market phones sold in the world.

At this point, the only thing palm could do in my eyes to redeem themselves is to offer to replace all the 700p's users have complained about with the 755 (if that truly is a hardware fix/replacement for the 700p). We have already paid up the wazoo for our phones, and received nothing but grief in return, and the lack of funding to buy another phone (in our cell phone budget) because of the expense of this one. I would also accept a full cash refund for the purchase price of both of the 700p's on my account plus whatever tax I had to pay on them.
    Hey Merlyn,

Sorry for the mis-construe . . . . it was out of character for you and I should have realized that. I will investigate as you suggest and report back. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    If I leave BT on I don't experience any problems. The other day I turned BT off for a bit, and it was a pain to get the the headset to be recongnized after that. Repairing wouldn't work. Eventially I had to delete all evidence of the headset, soft reset and then pair it. Since then I have left BT on and haven't experienced a problem.

I do see the "disconnected" icon after a call, but as mentioned its already reconnected before its needed, so I am not sure what the potential issues are with that.
    1st leg of trip home . . . 30 minutes . . . no disconnect. . . . I will try it on my desk tomorrow.

Speculation . . . . could this BT issue be related to the device going in and out of an EVDO connection?

As far as I know, I am always EVDO connected. Could the phone radio swapping between EVDO and 1x cause the BT to recycle?
    1st leg of trip home . . . 30 minutes . . . no disconnect. . . . I will try it on my desk tomorrow.

Speculation . . . . could this BT issue be related to the device going in and out of an EVDO connection?

As far as I know, I am always EVDO connected. Could the phone radio swapping between EVDO and 1x cause the BT to recycle?
    Nope, it's completely independent of 1x and EVDO connections. I've noticed it when I've been on the phone for a matter of minutes, then end the call (I don't think short calls, like 5-10 seconds, exhibit the same disconnect behavior). I first noticed it when my phone was on my desk as I was working on my computer. The screen lit up and I saw the normal bluetooth icon behind the keyguard. Once I disabled the keyguard I see the headset icon again, but I know for a fact that the phone screen turns on everytime the bluetooth headset connects to it, because the same exact thing happens every time I turn my bluetooth headset on.

This is one of the reason I feel so cheated by Palm on this bluetooth thing, though, because even though they say these headsets are 100% compatible, they really aren't. It's only because what makes these headsets unique is that they actively try to reconnect to the phone upon lost connection. The same problem that plagues other headsets plagues these too.

In addition, I do get some times (albiet rare with the JX-10) when I'll turn on the headset, I see the bluetooth icon turn from blue to white, then back to blue, and there'll be a good span of like 5 minutes where no matter what I do short of a soft reset, it won't connect to the phone.

Then there's also the matter of connecting your headset, turning bluetooth off, then on, and the 700p has problems routing the audio to the headset until you actually soft reset.

Then there's also the matter of certain calls to the bluetooth stack causing the phone to either completely freeze the reset, or reset altogether. The most critical of this (and another one I only noticed was happening after I noticed it when my phone was on the desk in front of me) is on some incoming calls, you'll see the phone screen turn on, then the outline of the incoming call dialog with the outline of the answer and ignore buttons, then the phone completely resets before making a peep or ring or anything. This is perhaps the most mission critical bug for a phone. There is no record of the call in the call log, so if the caller doesn't leave a voicemail, you're royally screwed. This ONLY happens if you have a bluetooth headset connected to the phone, and the general feeling is that when the phone interfaces with the bluetooth to tell the headset to ring, it's causing a reset in the phone. For those of you who have your phones in your pocket and a bluetooth headset connected, and you hear it randomly reset (and hear the startup sound as the phone turns on again after reboot), it's very likely that this wasn't so random, but that someone was actually trying to call you.

Mind you this was more than a freak incident, it has repeated many times across 3 different 700p's that I've seen, just on my account alone. And this was all with a JX-10, the one headset both Sprint techs and Palm techs highly recommended for this particular phone, and one of the few headsets on the Palm compatibility list for the 700p. I've also tried and returned that Motorola HS850 (which is also on the palm compatibility list) with similar results.

2nd leg home . . . 30 minutes . . . . also no disconnect . . .. as I said, I will try it at my desk for longer periods tomorrow.

Cheers, Perry.
    2nd leg home . . . 30 minutes . . . . also no disconnect . . .. as I said, I will try it at my desk for longer periods tomorrow.

Cheers, Perry.
    Usually happens in the minutes after you end a call (whether it's ended via the headset or the phone doesn't matter, I don't think).
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Usually happens in the minutes after you end a call (whether it's ended via the headset or the phone doesn't matter, I don't think).
    Hi Merlyn!

I started both 30 minute sessions with a phone call to my home answering machine, but each call only lasted 20 seconds. I will try a longer call duration, as you noted farther above, in my next go around.

Cheers, Perry.
    Hi Merlyn!

I started both 30 minute sessions with a phone call to my home answering machine, but each call only lasted 20 seconds. I will try a longer call duration, as you noted farther above, in my next go around.

Cheers, Perry.
    Mine also never disconnects. I use the Samsung WEP-200 headset. I have never had the screen light up on its own after ending a call. The only time that my headset losing connection (changes from the headset icon to the blue BT icon) is when I physically take my phone far away from my headset like when I run to the store and leave my headset at home. In that case, a single press of the button the WEP-200 reconnects and stays connected.
    I wouldn't change to any phone out right now that's for sure. First choice for future phones would be that Samsung UMPC for Sprint's WiMax network (backward compatible with EVDO), 2nd choice would be Treo 755p, and 3rd choice would be PPC-6800.
    I don't have the hard-reset problem, but as a Verizon 700p user, I have both the horrible SMS-text lock/freeze issue (varies from 30 seconds to 3-4 MINUTES!), and while Bluetooth started out great with my Jabra BT250v (previously used with my Treo 650 as well), it became spotty over time. What will happen is that suddenly during the course of a day, the phone will just drop BT connection with the headset. I can sometimes get it back by re-pairing it, if I don't, it may or may not re-engage during the course of a conversation (and lucky me, when it does, it always happens a minute into the conversation, cutting out 5-10 seconds of whatever we were talking about). Lag rarely occurs, but it mainly happens when I'm out of range. When it does, it's agonizingly slow.

I like the concept of Palm's devices, and I love some of the available apps. I really want a working one (closest I've seen was my Treo 650p with the 1.05a ROM update, it was good, though not perfect) and I'd like a few features Treo users have been begging about for ages (read: voice dialing over Bluetooth, native MP3 ringer support, battery life equivalent to the 650p on their newer 7xx phones). Based on mine and other 700p users' experiences, I don't think I'm going to get it.

I'm still waiting for the perfect smartphone out there that will let me and my colleagues tell Palm where they can stick it. When it arrives, that's what I'll go with. It's just too bad it isn't there yet, and that is why Palm can continue to sell a less-than-perfect product.

Note: I really wish we could see more Symbian-OS devices in the U.S. I'd like to see what it offers.
    Hi Merlyn!

Cheers, Perry.

So far this morning -- did a 3 minute phone call thru the headset, ended the call -- the screen went off and it was 90 minutes before I had to end the test with no screen activation having occurred. (Very rarely do I get incoming calls between 6am to 8am, so this is a good time to test it.) I will try again tomorrow.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/09/2007 at 08:26 AM.
    I will not be trying any of the currently existing phones. Before I chose my Verizon 700p I tried a Cingular 750 and 680, and they were just unaccebtable in my understanding as smartphones. See my very first thread, if interested.
    I just flew back home 1st class and half the cabin had Palm smartphones that looked like my 700p. They could have been 700xm, or 600/650, but not very likely. Verizon has the best phone service and 700p is the best Palm smartphone that is available through them. The fact that there are a lot of people here who b**ch about this phone only tells how polular it really is. Go to any product forum and you will see half positive posts and half problem posts.

The iPhone will not be any useful to me until it has a Cingular 3G internet. But even then, Cingular serivice is only rarely available in two of the places where I work. It also remains to be seen how easy it is to type on a flat screen, and what kind of organizer Apple will come up with.
    What kind of organizer does Apple need to come up with? iCal? AddressBook? Email? That stuff's been around for a while, and, as far as I know, is just going to be a "touchscreen/kind of mini" version in the iPhone. Not that I'm singing the iPhone's praises, but, just wanted to make sure everyone knows Apple's had organization apps for a while.

Now, if it was coming to Sprint, I'd be singing from the mountain tops.
    So far this morning -- did a 3 minute phone call thru the headset, ended the call -- the screen went off and it was 90 minutes before I had to end the test with no screen activation having occurred. (Very rarely do I get incoming calls between 6am to 8am, so this is a good time to test it.) I will try again tomorrow.

Cheers, Perry.

Repeated the process this morning for 90 minutes. . . . still no screen activation. . . . .
    My WEP-200 still has never unpaired or disconnected either. The BT is 100% rock solid on my 700p. It stays paired for hours and hours.
    Repeated the process this morning for 90 minutes. . . . still no screen activation. . . . .
    Hmm....well you can continue if you'd like, it's weird. At first, we were all sure this was a software issue, but slight hints in Palm's letter's to us, as well as issues the 700wx seems to be having, are pointing to the fact that this may actually be hardware related. Interesting. In that case, I would expect nothing less than for Palm to replace all of us who have file complaints about the issues with this phone to replace the phone with working hardware of equivalent or better specs, whether that be a 700p (HW version B, no there isn't one of these yet), or a 755 (Sherlock).
    Back to the original question:

Blackberry - I have been a loyal Palm owner since the mid-90s and have owned 2 Treos (650 and 700p) much to the chagrin of my IT department which greatly prefers Blackberry. Although I like the Palm w/ Goodlink apps, reliability has always been a bit of an issue. The specific factor that will make me switch in May when my Verizon contract ends will be Palm's abhorrent level of support. My 700p is now pretty stable, but really no thanks to Palm. The Blackberry is a more restricted environment from the standpoint of available apps, but what it does, it does very reliably with good battery life as well. I'll miss Palm, but I don't think that I would trust them enough to buy their next new widget.
    Why not just get a 650? They are 100% stable when you make your own ROM and they do BB Connect just fine.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast