Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I am on my 4th 700p from Verizon. My good friend has also gone through 4 from Verizon. The lag problems when typing or drive me crazy. The system freezes up for exactly 11 seconds. I count to eleven and then it is usable again. Another friend has a Cingular Treo 700p and he has never had a single lag on his phone. Could the problem be Verizon 700p's stink and Cingulars dont?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    That's the only lag I get as well, but only when I have the device set to clear the cache on exit....and the lag is when that happens, since it doesn't happen if I don't clear the cache on exit....
    You called it . . . . . I have clear cache on exit set . . . but I believe I read elsewhere that clearing the cache keeps things running smoothly. . . . .which my 700P has been doing. . . . .
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    After working through 4 700p's and being a long time user of all that is Palm, I ended up going with an xv6700. All I can say is it works. I have since gone back to a laptop for email with employer provided cell card. I will eventually go to a "candybar" dumb phone just because of the simplicity factor and a tablet pc.

good luck
    Cigar
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    My humble recommendation is to not give your money to Palm. Just do your homework, check the forums. I don't think they have a single model that hasn't had a major flaw. You'll be doomed praying for a patch that, like the 650, might never come. Palm sells defective products period.

My theory is that Palm's management is taking care of their stockholders by coming up with new 'hot' products that will generate income while not spending money in supporting products that no longer generate money for them. This is done to maximize profits. By lowering expenses and raising income the company's value increases for a future sale. Then a new group of investors will come along, buy it, and squezze the company in a similar fashion. The cycle then repeats itself. In the meantime employees and customers are going crazy. And that's why Palm's history is so rocky [again just a theory]. This instability has made it impossible for the OS to progress. The only way to break the cycle is to see through the marketing hype and realize that the odds off Palm coming out with a true killer phone are small.

Now these are my thoughts...

Anyone have anything to say regarding WM6? What are the odds for the 6800? Will the iPhone be the first kller phone?

RicardoG
    Quote Originally Posted by jfarm1 View Post
    I am on my 4th 700p from Verizon. My good friend has also gone through 4 from Verizon. The lag problems when typing or drive me crazy. The system freezes up for exactly 11 seconds. I count to eleven and then it is usable again. Another friend has a Cingular Treo 700p and he has never had a single lag on his phone. Could the problem be Verizon 700p's stink and Cingulars dont?
    Since when did Cingular/ATT start selling the 700p?

Stalker768
    As for testing 3rd party apps, RemoveIt from BlueNomad let's you do this. There's a package deal for, I believe $40, that comes with RemoveIt, BackupBuddy 2, BackupBuddy VFS Pro, and Swordfish (digital wallet type app., I never use it). That, in my opinion, is one of the best purchases I ever made.

For the cache, mine's set to hold 4MB. I think, once it gets to 4MB, it starts deleting files on its own. I'm not sure if what I'm told is left includes the 4MB block or not, but, I have 30MB free, so I should be fine.
    I have actually been toiling over this question over the last few days ....My 700p had recently been broken due to hittinbg the ground at a pretty decent velocity. Thank goodness for insurance.. ...I actually had my Treo 650 and have been using that....they actually sent me a brand new 700p... so i have been trying to figure out if it worth activating the 700p or sticking with the 650 until something better comes out... im expiriencing the same BT and Lag probs and i hate making these types of decisions........hhhmmmm
    When I waterlogged my 700p I jumped ship to the Moto Q, and I have barely looked back since. As a Palm loyalist it was a difficult move to make BUT I enjoy NOT having to endure the SMS lockups. I also prefer the phone quality (sound and signal strength) of the Q to the 700p.

At the time I made the switch, I also vastly preferred the price of the Q to the 700p - Verizon cut me a $99 deal on a Q, but wanted me to pay almost full price ($450) for a replacement 700p which was only six months old (no insurance), so I slipped the Q into my dress shirt pocket and a theoretical $350 into my wallet...
    For those with 700Ps (as I used to have), the easiest way to get onto WM would be to get the 700wx series of phones, i had said this somewhere else, the Off button, the silent switch, touchscreen, obviously the form factor..

That said, the Q, as Keefer noted, has been really great. I'm so impressed with it.. I think it's worth taking on a 15 day trial journey, you'll realize you can pretty much do anything you can with the Wx and more than Palm OS devices (as a whole, I mean).
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    My Treo 700P connects to my Treo BT headset 100% of the time and never disconnects.

I do not have resets.

I use all PIM functions, VersaMail and Blazer.
    I sync to the Palm Desktop software.

3RD PARTY Software installed and used:

BOLD = daily or greater usage. (The rest, a minimum of weekly, except for CardSpeed and VFSMark.)

BackupBuddy VFS Pro
    Bejeweled
    CardKeeper
    CardSpeed VFS
    Chess Tiger
    Core Player
    DiddleBug
    Diet Assistant
    Documents to Go 8.0
    Due Yesterday (Student software linked w/ daughter)
    eReaderPro
    EZConvert
    FileZ
    finCalc
    GoogleMaps
    iPedia
    Kinoma 4Ex
    KwikMaps
    MegaClock
    MobileTS
    Monopoly
    Movie Guide (Leonard Maltin)
    mSafe
    mVoice
    On Demand (or Pocket Express)
    Pocket Checkers
    Pocket Chess
    Pocket Quicken
    Pocket Tunes
    RealPlayer
    Silent Threat
    SlovoEd
    Snap
    Solitare
    Sprint TV
    TextPlus
    TimeReporter4
    TreoCiel
    VFSMark
    VoiceDial
    VolumeCare

20mb of internal memory free, 4gb SD card (340mb left free)

My only "issue" has been a 2-3 second lag, on occassion, coming out of an internet connected application. I would buy my 700P, again, no question.
    Perry, can you tell me which BT headset you use? i tried my voyager 510 and have problems with it.

Thanks
    I bought the Palm Treo BT headset 2 years ago with my 650.

Simple, does what I want it to do and uses the same charging equipment as the 650 and 700. That was the main selling point for me -- no 2nd set of chargers for car and home!

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    iphone
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    My Treo 700P connects to my Treo BT headset 100% of the time and never disconnects.

I do not have resets.
    I know that the build quality of Treos fluctuates wildly (my first one was one of a series they apparently released with "bad RAM" which failed within a week). But it's really amazing to me to read about your success with the 700p, Perry.

Your build might be extremely useful for Palm to do some forensics on, as they've been working for 9 months on a "fix" for the bluetooth-drop issue which you have apparently never experienced. At least you should talk with some higher-ups at Palm and get them your serial so they can compare it to the vast majority that definitely lose the pairing. It could be they substituted some better/different hardware for a while and that's the key to nailing this problem down. (It can't be third-party stuff, as people report problems with dropped pairing running complete stock devices).

As one who was tearing his hair out for days trying to diagnose why a brand new zeroed-out device was constantly resetting - I KNOW the hardware quality fluctuates.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I've been using Palms since the 270 (GSM version of the 300) in '02. Last year I was as happy as could be when the 700P came out. But I've grown tired of it. Sprint won't replace it for the minor problems I'm having, such as when the phone is silenced, it will vibrate at random, for different lengths of time. It's very annoying.

The 6800 is looking pretty sweet. Looks like they got rid of all the things I didn't like in the 6700.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    I know that the build quality of Treos fluctuates wildly (my first one was one of a series they apparently released with "bad RAM" which failed within a week). But it's really amazing to me to read about your success with the 700p, Perry.

Your build might be extremely useful for Palm to do some forensics on, as they've been working for 9 months on a "fix" for the bluetooth-drop issue which you have apparently never experienced. At least you should talk with some higher-ups at Palm and get them your serial so they can compare it to the vast majority that definitely lose the pairing. It could be they substituted some better/different hardware for a while and that's the key to nailing this problem down. (It can't be third-party stuff, as people report problems with dropped pairing running complete stock devices).

As one who was tearing his hair out for days trying to diagnose why a brand new zeroed-out device was constantly resetting - I KNOW the hardware quality fluctuates.
    One interesting thought -- I bought my 700P on 12/23/06 from Sprint Retentions. . . . . . how long it had been sitting in the warehouse is another issue. . . .
    How could the quality control be so bad on these things? How can I (with virtually no 3rd party apps) have a pretty bad lag on my phone app and others not? This was also true with my first 700p that had terrible lag. Palm is just not consitently making good-quality stuff anymore. Such a bummer.
    Perry, how is it your headset never disconnects from the 700p? You must be the only one. Can you honestly sit there and tell me that after a 2-3 minute call, when you hit end, if you watch your 700p for about 2-5 minutes, the screen never lights up and the bluetooth icon never goes from the headset to the blue bluetooth icon? I even bought a headset on the palm compatibility list, the JX-10, and it still is booted off and disconnected by the treo, its saving grace is that the JX-10 will actively try and reconnect to it, so it looks like a sustained connection, but every time I end a call, within the next few minutes I notice the treo will light up several times to a disconnected bluetooth icon, then the headset reconnects.

I've confirmed that this is what the Palm BT headset does as well, so don't tell me there isn't a problem there. To say there isn't would be a insult to me and every other 700p user who's complained about it and had to deal with it since May. My point is, Perry, we all know how much you love the treo, and we know how much I loved it, but no headset seems to work consistently with it, and Palm screwed up. They screwed up BIG. And it's instances like this, where everyone is frustrated that there STILL isn't a fix, and it's looking more and more like Palm's releasing a 755p to fix it because they may not be able to fix it through software, that a fanboi like yourself will start to be met with anger and frustration instead of the excitement we all had before the release of the 700p. Case in point, look at me, I was as excited about you about the 700p. I basically bought two, that preproduction one that Palm ended up just taking away, and I never heard from them again, and the retail one when it was released. I can't tell you how frustrated I am, with the money I've spent, that 9 months into this product's supposed 12 month life cycle, these issues are still outstanding with no solution whatsoever. That's 75% of the product's life and counting. Oh, and I'm on my 4th replacement 700p (all new, no refurbs as none of the stores had any).
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Perry, how is it your headset never disconnects from the 700p? You must be the only one. Can you honestly sit there and tell me that after a 2-3 minute call, when you hit end, if you watch your 700p for about 2-5 minutes, the screen never lights up and the bluetooth icon never goes from the headset to the blue bluetooth icon? I even bought a headset on the palm compatibility list, the JX-10, and it still is booted off and disconnected by the treo, its saving grace is that the JX-10 will actively try and reconnect to it, so it looks like a sustained connection, but every time I end a call, within the next few minutes I notice the treo will light up several times to a disconnected bluetooth icon, then the headset reconnects.

I've confirmed that this is what the Palm BT headset does as well, so don't tell me there isn't a problem there. To say there isn't would be a insult to me and every other 700p user who's complained about it and had to deal with it since May. My point is, Perry, we all know how much you love the treo, and we know how much I loved it, but no headset seems to work consistently with it, and Palm screwed up. They screwed up BIG. And it's instances like this, where everyone is frustrated that there STILL isn't a fix, and it's looking more and more like Palm's releasing a 755p to fix it because they may not be able to fix it through software, that a fanboi like yourself will start to be met with anger and frustration instead of the excitement we all had before the release of the 700p. Case in point, look at me, I was as excited about you about the 700p. I basically bought two, that preproduction one that Palm ended up just taking away, and I never heard from them again, and the retail one when it was released. I can't tell you how frustrated I am, with the money I've spent, that 9 months into this product's supposed 12 month life cycle, these issues are still outstanding with no solution whatsoever. That's 75% of the product's life and counting. Oh, and I'm on my 4th replacement 700p (all new, no refurbs as none of the stores had any).

Sorry Merlyn_3D, I reported my experience accurately. I am in the car for 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night. My Palm Treo Headset has never disconnected. . . . before, during or after a call or multipe calls.

I do not dispute that other's are experiencing problems -- but do not insult me by saying that I am lying about my experience with the device.

Yes, I have used Palm devices for 10 years --and it will take alot for me to switch away from Palm -- because I would have to re-purchase much software to get the utility of my device recreated in some other format.

FanBoy has always been such a dismissive term for me. . . . . . . I have always posted fairly and in most cases indicated that there is evidence to the contrary. I feel that your attack was unjustified. You may be angry and frustrated -- but do not dump on me because of it, I expected better from you.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...12&postcount=8
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...00&postcount=3

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/08/2007 at 01:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    What I want to know is where were the supposed "product reviewers" when it came to the 700p. Every review I read about it talked about all its strengths. I can't think of one review that mentioned bluetooth problems, crashes, resets, lag or anything else. The only negative thing I can remember in a review was the lack of battery life. I guess these people didn't want to offend Palm and risk any future advertising and free phones. F*%! the Hypocrisy.
    I am actually actively doing research on the Sony M600i now. I think its time for me to switch to a much smaller phone.

It has TomTom and A2DP, that's all I need. I just need to find a cheap screen protector and battery.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast