Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Having installed and run the DST update, can the .prc then be deleted? I am surprised the palm instrstructions don't say...

Jim
    It can be deleted, however, if you need to hard reset you will lose the updated DST settings (in which case you need to run it again). I keep mine saved to SD in case, as well as in my hard drive of my PC.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    I am not going to update my PC's DST because Microsoft insists that I update my XP to service pack 2 (which bricks my entire computer).

I sync my Verizon Treo650 with my PC's Outlook. Am I correct in assuming that if I'm not going to run the DST update on my computer then I shouldn't run it on my Treo?

Thanks.
    Treo 650, Verizon
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercoffee1 View Post
    It can be deleted, however, if you need to hard reset you will lose the updated DST settings (in which case you need to run it again). I keep mine saved to SD in case, as well as in my hard drive of my PC.
    Good point. Forgot about the reset situation.... I'll keep a copy on the PC. Thanks for the reply.

Jim
    If you use a good backup app (I use NVBackup) it WILL restore the DST changes made by the updater WITHOUT the updater still on the device. I tried it and confirmed it.
    Treo 650 Verizon
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    I'm dense. I thought my phone gets it time from verizon. Since verizon knows about the change in DST, why do i need to update my phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfone13 View Post
    I am not going to update my PC's DST because Microsoft insists that I update my XP to service pack 2 (which bricks my entire computer).
    Slightly OT, but do you have an AMD processor? If so, http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=8769 might help you.

/duckman
    Philips PR95 (NMT) > Nokia 232 (AMPS) > Nokia 5190 & 5110 (GSM) > Ericsson R520m (unlocked GSM) > Treo 650 (unlocked GSM) on Fido
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    I'm dense. I thought my phone gets it time from verizon. Since verizon knows about the change in DST, why do i need to update my phone?
    That's true, but some people have reported problems with the network time sync and have disabled it, in which case you would definitely need the patch. Also, if you schedule appointments in advance using the built-in calendar, or DateBk, or Agendus or whatnot, you'll want your Treo to be aware of the new timezone settings so your appointments don't show up incorrectly after the time change. Apparently there's a problem with timestamps on emails as well. The patch from Palm (which you can find here) updates all of the affected timezones.
    I just changed them manually. It only took 10 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman View Post
    Slightly OT, but do you have an AMD processor? If so, http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=8769 might help you.

/duckman
    Thanks duckman, but I don't have an AMD processor, it's a Pentium. I just have a 5-year-old computer that doesn't want to go to service pack 2.

I think I'll follow Aussie Joe's example and change things on my PC and Treo650 manually. It really only affects the dates between the new DST and the old DST. I just never seem to have much luck with software updates and patches. I don't want to take the chance of bricking my Treo or killing my PC.
    Treo 650, Verizon