1.    #1  
    I dont have much crashing on my 700P Sprint, but sometimes the unit freezes (maybe 2 times a day)

anyone here use reset doctor? and does it work for them?
    Do you know the reason for the freeze? Is it because of the DB cache being cleared I use Reset Doctor on my 700p because I got tired of manually checking and clearing it myself. In addition, it can automagically backup the preferences, lock them, clear the registry of naughty entries (rogue entries), et cetera.

To answer your questions - yes on both. Ben
    I purchased Reset Doctor shortly after it first came out (when it was still called Pref Doctor). At that time, I had a 650 which was prone to losing preferences. When I upgraded to a 680, the preference loss issue went away. However, I still kept Reset Doctor loaded for its dbcache clearing function. It seems to clear cache more completely than other tools like MemInfo and can be set to clear automatically at a user defined level. I am also impressed with the developer's responsiveness to customer feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    ...clear the registry of naughty entries (rogue entries), et cetera.
    How do you do this?
    It has a setting for clearing rogue entries: miscellaneous utilities ---> a little below the middle is "Keep Exchange Manager Clean" - enable it. When I first got the 700p that was an issue; however, I have not come across it in a while.

Ben
    My 700 resets at an unacceptable rate. For a time I was getting 1-2 resets per day but it has recently decreased. I found that I lost my preferences after about 25% of the resets and this made the reset issue even more of a PITA. In this regard, Reset Doctor has been invaluable. I have not found the db cache flush to be very helpful. Engaging it hasn't sped up my P nor has it enhanced stability which unfortunately is the reason I'm sorry I purchased the 700 in the first place.
    It has a setting for clearing rogue entries: miscellaneous utilities ---> a little below the middle is "Keep Exchange Manager Clean" - enable it. When I first got the 700p that was an issue; however, I have not come across it in a while.

Ben
    Got it. Already had it enabled.

Thanks Ben!
  8.    #8  
    Do you know the reason for the freeze? Is it because of the DB cache being cleared I use Reset Doctor on my 700p because I got tired of manually checking and clearing it myself. In addition, it can automagically backup the preferences, lock them, clear the registry of naughty entries (rogue entries), et cetera.

To answer your questions - yes on both. Ben

so i just got the software. whats the magic number of cache i should set it to?
    The developer, Rob, says about 1/2 the amount free, somewhere around 10. At 10mb, it clears too often for me, I have it set at 4mb and no resets.

Ben
  10.    #10  
    installed it, cleared my cache and now my 700P LAGGGS! (infamous white screen lags)

i guess ill just revert to my old backup and deslete reset doctor.
    One thing I found a year or so ago, is if I told the app (in my case dbcache tool) to clear cache after a reset (or had the magic number set too high) it would cause the type of lag you're talking about. Might not want to delete just yet.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Highly recommended. 5 meg cache clear works for me.
    It takes a while to clear the DB cache on a 700p. Once the cache is cleared, the white screen stuff is not a function of Reset Doctor - you need to look elsewhere to solve that issue.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    installed it, cleared my cache and now my 700P LAGGGS! (infamous white screen lags)

i guess ill just revert to my old backup and deslete reset doctor.
    The developer, Rob, says about 1/2 the amount free, somewhere around 10. At 10mb, it clears too often for me, I have it set at 4mb and no resets.
    I have done the same here.
    Couple of comments:

1) Reset Doctor can sometimes make things seem worse. That's arguably a good thing, because it lets you realise there is a problem and you ca recreate it (most of the time) by doing a manual cache flush.

If this applies to you, then this article:
    How to fix a cache crash
    explains what is going on and what you can do to track down the troublesome app. (trim81 - I'm guessing this may apply to your freezes)

2) make sure you have the latest Reset Doc (1.73) it gives you some control over the speed of cache flushing.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Yeah, I too brought over Reset Doctor while I was having my 650 where Pref loss is a common syndrome of Treo 650. But even with my new T680 it had happened once so i would say even T680 is not prone to this Palm OS' nasty bug, Pref Loss.

So ResetDoc beauty comes very handy where you don't have to re-enter every darn register key for all the apps on your device when this happens. Palm should actually fix this, since they don't, better to keep Reset Doctor enabled all the time.

DB cache cleaning also comes handy, but I normally use Off Flash for this. If you put a high value DB Cache to be clean automatically, it may cause a reset or a lagged device, so put a half or even less value so your Treo will be happier.

Cheers!
    R
    Chan
    Treo 680 Mobitel GSM Sri Lanka.
    I never lose my preferences - is this app still needed? (treo 680)
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I too agree that reset doctor ( should be called "reset nurse" after the babe of a nurse in the icos!! ) is a necessity! It has saved my a$$ many a time with my crash prone 650.

Plus mr. confused verlon is a FANTASTIC developer. I also feel his phone technician and butler programs should be treo staples.

-dale
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I've been using Resetdoctor to help w/ the crashing of my 700p. It has helped alot but it hasn't been completely perfect. I'm still experimenting w/ different settings. It's certainly worth a try.