Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Hardly needs a link to say that a spint rep. said that the 755p is replacing the Treo 700p and will be available in May.
    Thats just heresay. Where's the beef?
  3.    #4  
    The rep I spoke with said that they didn't have anything in their computers, except it was called Treo 755p, was replacing the Treo 700p, and would be available in May. When the 700p was rumored to be coming out I had spoken with someone from Sprint (a few months before release) and they had this same kind of information, name of device and release date. I believe it to be pretty solid information based on past experiences.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    So the slimmed down treo 755 will appear in may, and the palm sherlock will debut in june?
    I gotta have more cowbell
  5.    #6  
    I am thinking the 755p's codename was Sherlock, I could be wrong though.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Oh, Jimmie... If Sherlock is Hawkins killer device, it better be more than just a 755P. We need a WOW product, and I mean one that really "Wow's" - not like the hype of Vista.

If the 755P is a cdma high-memory EVDO treo with most or all of the 700P problems licked, I may bite once it reaches verizon. (Please let it have great battery life and standard SD card slot!) My 650 contract is up for renewal soon. But the Hawkins Device must be so much more.

I really don't want Palm to finally get control of it's own OS & Fate, only to be absorbed into someone else. They could use the money from a sugar-daddy, but I'm afraid it would be for naught. They need a killer device to ward off the Wolves of Wall Street.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    My guess is, it will be a mild upgrade that will support EVDO Rev A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6 View Post
    My guess is, it will be a mild upgrade that will support EVDO Rev A.
    EVDO REV A if I recall requires simultaneous voice/data which PalmOS can't handle (because of multitasking), so I wouldn't hold your breath, unless they happened to revamp the FrankenGarnet to support this...so if they did it might be more than a mild upgrade
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    I think we are looking at a CDMA 680 with the 750's camera and rubberized skin. What I don't get is why didn't they just release this INSTEAD of the 700p? Did they really develop this innovative antenna-internalization technology(TM) between June 06 (when they released the 700p) and Aug 06 (when they announced the 750v)?
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    EVDO REV A if I recall requires simultaneous voice/data which PalmOS can't handle (because of multitasking), so I wouldn't hold your breath, unless they happened to revamp the FrankenGarnet to support this...so if they did it might be more than a mild upgrade
    Well Palm did buy the POS5 back. They probably can hack that into the phone. You can make calls and go to calculator/memo/GPS app with the 700p anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    You can make calls and go to calculator/memo/GPS app with the 700p anyway.
    That doesn't count

You can't use voice and data at the same time
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    That doesn\'t count

You can\'t use voice and data at the same time
    Name one Sprint phone without WiFi that can. lol
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I am thinking the 755p's codename was Sherlock, I could be wrong though.
    For palm`s sake and for all those holding shares in its stock, I hope to God the sherlock is not just a 755, which sounds like a minor upgrade to the 750.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    That doesn't count

You can't use voice and data at the same time
    I am saying 700p can do limited multitasking even though POS can't do it in theory. Are you telling me running a data connection in the background is more complicated than running a GPS app?

BTW I can use the "USB Modem" app and make calls at the same time. Although the data connection doesn't work when I am on the phone, but my PC think the modem is still connected. Don't ask me how.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    vw2002,

Sherlock is not going to be Palms next big thing. Read Hawkins latest interview with palmaddict. He clearly drops the hint that their next big thing will be released by the end of the year. Historically by the end of the year in Palm's language means November, which makes sense to capture the Christmas shopping season. Also it is the same time that Sprint will roll out its WiMax network, of course assuming that it has got something to do with WiMax. The other thing is that it doesn't make any sense to come out with something big at the same time that iPhone is coming out. It is going to get overshadowed by Apple's advertising campaign, no matter how big it is.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Right. Palm has admitted that the reason there is no 3G (WCDMA) Palm OS Treo is because Garnet is not capable of simultaneous voice and data. EVDO RevA will have the same capabilities so until we see a WCDMA PalmOS device (a 750p), I won't expect to see a RevA PalmOS device. I'd be willing to bet that when we do, it won't be running the Garnet version of PalmOS.
    Name one Sprint phone without WiFi that can. lol
    None yet, because there are no EvDO Rev A phones out yet.

I am saying 700p can do limited multitasking even though POS can't do it in theory. Are you telling me running a data connection in the background is more complicated than running a GPS app?
    Yes, basically. Being able to run an app while on a phone call is not exactly true multitasking, not the kind required for simultaneous voice and data.

BTW I can use the "USB Modem" app and make calls at the same time. Although the data connection doesn't work when I am on the phone, but my PC think the modem is still connected. Don't ask me how.
    Well yes the modem is still connected, but it doesn't mean your PC thinks it's actually transferring data. The whole point is that with Rev A, you would be able to actively transfer data and be on the phone.

For example. You're using your phone as a modem to surf the web on your laptop/computer. Someone calls you and asks for directions to some place. While you're still on the phone talking to them, you look up the directions and give them to the caller, all while keeping your active data connection.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    I'm wondering the with naming game Palm has been playing there must be some kind of upgrade besides the adding Garnet OS to a 750.
    If not I would think Sprint would release a 750p just like the 700 series.
    Since PalmOS is now officially GarnetOS, you'd think they'd name it 755g.

I suspect they'll somehow keep the PalmOS name though, as some have speculated. (I think it was Andrew from Treonauts.)
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast