Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Since PalmOS is now officially GarnetOS, you'd think they'd name it 755g.

I suspect they'll somehow keep the PalmOS name though, as some have speculated. (I think it was Andrew from Treonauts.)
    Palm owns the Palm name now, and they also acquired the perpetual rights to use/modify/innovate on top of Garnet and use their changes exclusively on Palm devices, and call it the Palm OS. That's why Jeff Hawkins and Andy Brown have been sending the message lately that Palm is now in control of their own destiny.
    Did they have the explicit right to call it PalmOS? I missed that.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    Since PalmOS is now officially GarnetOS, you'd think they'd name it 755g.

I suspect they'll somehow keep the PalmOS name though, as some have speculated. (I think it was Andrew from Treonauts.)

No. Palm's OS is PalmOS. Access's OS is GarnetOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    I'm wondering the with naming game Palm has been playing there must be some kind of upgrade besides the adding Garnet OS to a 750.
    If not I would think Sprint would release a 750p just like the 700 series.
    Nar. If new phone is 6 months after the previous model -> add "50" to the model number; if new phone is 3 months later than the last phone, add "5" to the model number.
    It had better have a faster processor. And it had better be compatible with older accessories. I think I'm going to be a little gunshy on this one.
  6.    #26  
    Yea, Palm will call it 755p for Palm OS. They can call it Palm OS since they acquired the perpetual license, as Ballistic pointed out. After reading Brown's statements, and listening to the audio version, Palm is potentially in the best shape they've ever been. Get ready for Palm to once again rise back to the top of mobile computing. You can tell by Brown and Hawkins' statements that they are very much in control, and are doing a lot of stuff we don't know about yet. Palm is back to being Palm again, and from the way they are talking they've got a lot in store for us.
    Jimmie Geddes
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    EVDO REV A if I recall requires simultaneous voice/data which PalmOS can't handle (because of multitasking), so I wouldn't hold your breath, unless they happened to revamp the FrankenGarnet to support this...so if they did it might be more than a mild upgrade
    it has nothing to do with multitasking in the convential sense. Do you know Linux has to be modified to be able to do simultaneous voice/data for OpenMoko? Do you think Linux can't multitask? Have you ever played an mp3 and downloaded something at the same time on the treo. That's multitasking.

I believe it has to do with uart line disciplines and being able to multitask a uart which most OSs were not originally designed to do
    I hope you are right, Jimmy. It would be really sad to see Palm get assimilated after all that has been done recently to finally get them in control of themselves again- what a waste that would be.

I hope the 755P is BT2.0, Stereo BT with the control capability (can't remember the acronym), lots of memory, standard SD, EVDO speeds, fixed headset jack, good battery life, and more goodies I can't imagine.

If the Sherlock is the 755P, I hope the Folio is the new Hawkins device...
    Maybe a UMPC (possibley as a linux box - that would explain the hiring of Linux techs over the years), bundled with openoffice and other Portable Aps. It could be a non-Apple alternative to the MS/Gates/vista regeime.
    Ballsy, (could bomb) but potentially revolutionary if done right. It could be very portable, and even incorporate a phone by using a BT headset.
    The Name Folio would fit.

Am I just dreamin' in the PPR?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I just hope the new Treo uses regular SD as opposed to mini or micro. I really don't want to have to buy more memory but that looks like the direction we're heading in.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I hope the sherlock isn't elementary, my dear watson.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    WHOOPS, did you post to the wrong forum?

I figured you were still lurking.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    After reading Brown's statements, and listening to the audio version, Palm is potentially in the best shape they've ever been. Get ready for Palm to once again rise back to the top of mobile computing. You can tell by Brown and Hawkins' statements that they are very much in control, and are doing a lot of stuff we don't know about yet.
    Do you mean doing stuff like making statements to position the company for a buyout?

Based on Hawkins previous business moves, I'd say that is what he is setting up.

If Hawkins wants to do what I think he wants to do, he is going to need a different company name for any sort of success.
    Hmm .. no wonder all the "deals" on the 700w and 700p phones ..

Maybe the 755? will have the Nextel walkie-talkie application?
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    correct, sprint just gave me a 700p for free before any rebates ($350 charged to credit card and $350 credited to my account!!) for opening adding a new line of service (at 9.99, didn't even know they had 9.99 add-a-lines)
    Here is my speculation. Informed only by the fact that I have been with Palm and this board since the 300, that I USED to correspond regularly with a number of Palm types both execs and engineers (back when the 650 came out) and I know some big-wigs at Sprint both in corporate and locally (from my telecommunicatins attorney days) and I read lots of stuff!

Going back to the 650, it was clear to me that many problems were both from the demands of Sprint (they demanded external antena and no wi-fi) on Palm AND the disfuctional way the two companies worked together. For example, Sprint insisted on testing that took a long time (hence the delay in the 650 being released), but that "testing" mostly involved giving 650s to VPs who had no clue out to use them or test them. That is why the memory problems never became an issue until REAL users got their hands on them.

Sprint hates having to deal with customer problems and hates having multiple platforms, phones and OS's. They can't control all of that, but I get the definate feeling, they would not be upset if Treos were all windows. Further, now that they carry other popular "smartphones" (all -except BB-- of which use Windows) and as even "regular" phones have lots more featrues like sprint-tv, they don't have the same reliance on the Treo as their high-end offering like they used to. Finally, To my knowlage, Sprint is no longer bankrolling development of Treos. Thus, they both literally and figurativly do not have as much invested in the Treo anymore and that will affect the development of the device.

Lastly, although Palm is not evil, they don't WANT to **** users off, they seem to have a type of arrogance that blinds them to things they themselves have not thought of. I am reminded of the Treo Roadshow where they were bragging about the hard switch to turn off the sound. They are rightfully proud of that, but seem almost bewildered by anybody that questioned putting the reset button under the battery cover. Why is that a problem? I was asked? Its not that they were bad people, they just didnt get it. In other words, they are very slow to realize that something is an issue or a problem unless they thought of it first.

So here be my thoughts:

-The 755p IS the "Sherlock" The may/june date is just too close together to be anything else. Perhaps it was originally going to be june but the announcement of the 755p has been moved up so as not not be burried by the I-phone.

-The 775p will be FrankenGarnet, and will be the LAST FrankenGarnet phone. I think Palm felt it needed to give PalmOS users one more phone to hold them over until they either figure out this Linux thing or until sufficent time has elapsed in the market so that they can abandon PalmOS totally for WM without looking like even bigger idiots for selling and buying back the OS rights. Depending on your point of view, you could say they are responding to their loyal PalmOS user base, or that they are just trying to shut us up.

-It will include many amazing features that Palm and Sprint have JUST decided that customers might be interested in, like internal antena and wi-fi. I don' t think it will have true multi-tasking (voice/data). I think that is too difficult to do with Garnet without causing all sorts of stability problems. They might be willing to try that if Garnet was a platform that they would support going forward, but that is not the case. Why do so much work and create so many hassles and CSR calls for something they don't plan on keeping?

-Although it was not originally designed as a "fix" for the 700p problems, it will have addressed many of those issues thanks to all complaints of the lowly power-users. Lag will be better, P-Tunes wont skip, SMS will be better. At the same time the 755p comes out, there will be firmwhere patch for the 700p (yeah the "1st Q" date will slip!). The patch won't solve all the problems, but its all 700p users are going to get.There will be the hope that this will satisfy all the complainers out there -- or at least they will go away.

-The 755p will, however, have a whole bunch of NEW problems that somehow wont be caught in testing. My money is on poor wi-fi implimentation and bad CDMA radio reception from the internal antenna. Again, the (begin sarcasim mode) extensive real-world/power-user testing that Palm and Sprint will do will, somehow, fail to catch these.

-Palm and Sprint will be washing their hands of the 700p after the firmware patch. No more updates, trade-up will be only option.

-Don't expect a lot of updates on the 755p either. This is the end of Garnet and nobody at Palm is going to be dedicated to really working on an OS that is being dropped.. All efforts will either be into Linux or WM. Indeed the decision to drop PalmOS totally may have already been made, but they cant admit that right after buying the rights to the OS. With the approx. two year product lifeline for Treos, that means that by the end of 2008 or early 2009 we will either have the Linux OS or there will be an announcement that Palm is going totally with WM. By that time, they may think that they wont look as stupid for buying back their own OS.

If Palm gets bought out, the situation could be even worse as there will be little incentive to keep with PalmOS. Nokia or Moto or whoever is likely to see WM as the future. Even if a Linux OS comes out, if a new company owns Palm it may not have anything to do with the PalmOs we use now.

-After the 755 is out, there will be a new WM device announced that will **** all of us Palm users off since it will have something really cool that we wish would have been on the 755p.

-The I-Phone will have monster sales and Palm wont understand why. Well, everybody except the Apple guy they just hired, but he wont be able to explain it to anybody else!
    Midmofan, great post!

The timing of the T755p comes at a great time, for me at least: I'm currently month-to-month with Sprint on my original T650. This May, I'll be eligible for the "every two years / $150 off" deal. In any case, I'll be on the fence (decisions, decisions: T700p; T755p; T700wx w/Windows Mobile 6 Update; The new rumoured(?) Jeff Hawkins device later this year; iPhone; current non-Palm smartphones on the marketplace; other devices we don't know about just yet) 'till this May/June.

Who knows? After the 755p comes out and if/when all the bugs are fixed(!), I just may hold off even longer, keep my account with Sprint and see what Sprint, Apple, Palm and Access will come up with in the next few years. With the exciting news mentioned today, am really anxious to see how Palm will compete with Apple on its iPhone.

If I go with the latter (paragraph), I'm hoping my T650 will last long enough!
    Last edited by KevMeister; 03/09/2007 at 04:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Midmofan, great post!

The timiing of the T755p comes at a great time, for me at least: I'm currently month-to-month with Sprint on my original T650. This May, I'll be eligible for the "every two years / $150 off" deal. In any case, I'll be on the fence (decisions, decisions: T700p; T755p; T700wx w/Windows Mobile 6 Update; The new rumoured(?) Jeff Hawkins device; iPhone in June) 'till the 755p comes out.

It actually works out well for me also, assuming that the 775p does not have really serious issues. I was all set to get a 700p when i found out our area was not scheduled to have high-speed data for some time (we still dont, this summer supposidly)

I also have the $150 Sprint credit, so if the 755p is available in May, I will have a couple of months to monitor the boards to see if it is a disaster or not before EVDO rolls out around here. Probably will buy mine around July

Then I will just hope for the best
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    quick advice to all of you holding out for the cost savings by going 2 years and getting their $150 off deal. Buy the phone at full fare or online without that gift. The freedom to move from one carrier to another based on the newest technology will far outweigh the paltry $150 off they are promising. Think about how little money that is when you consider the time you are promised or wed to their service.
    Quote Originally Posted by robkz View Post
    quick advice to all of you holding out for the cost savings by going 2 years and getting their $150 off deal. Buy the phone at full fare or online without that gift. The freedom to move from one carrier to another based on the newest technology will far outweigh the paltry $150 off they are promising. Think about how little money that is when you consider the time you are promised or wed to their service.
    Except that if you buy the Sprint phone you're still stuck with Sprint. Then again, some of us *cough* like Sprint and am happy enough to wait for our little upgrade bonus.

(six more months... six more months...)

Oh, and for you Sprint customers who are unhappy with how long it may be until you hit the two year mark, Sprint does also offer a $75 one-year upgrade bonus.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast