Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    O, I have both Pocket Tunes 4 and Kinoma Player 4 Ex running on my Treo 680, along with the Exchange Active Sync patch. Both apps can do internet streaming of radio stations, making the Treo 680 a decent fm radio player. But, Pocket Tunes plays in the background so one can use other aspects of the Treo, Kinoma doesn't. In fact, when Kinoma is streaming internet radio and Versamail Autosyncs... whoops we get a socket error! I think it's a case of two many cooks hands in the broth. A soft reset got things working again. Also, when streaming using Edge/GPRS, it's a good idea to use small bit-rate streams, like 32kbps or lower, they sound fine, and play quite smoothly!
    Mike
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    O, I have both Pocket Tunes 4 and Kinoma Player 4 Ex running on my Treo 680, along with the Exchange Active Sync patch. Both apps can do internet streaming of radio stations, making the Treo 680 a decent fm radio player. But, Pocket Tunes plays in the background so one can use other aspects of the Treo, Kinoma doesn't. In fact, when Kinoma is streaming internet radio and Versamail Autosyncs... whoops we get a socket error! I think it's a case of two many cooks hands in the broth. A soft reset got things working again. Also, when streaming using Edge/GPRS, it's a good idea to use small bit-rate streams, like 32kbps or lower, they sound fine, and play quite smoothly!
    Mike
    I must agree. While I do use Kinoma to stream WMA streams, I would never choose it for streaming MP3. The fact that Pocket Tunes streams in the background is a huge plus. Also, I find that on lower bandwidth networks like T-Mobile (my network), PTunes is much better. I get real tired of seeing the Kinoma buffer and disconnect.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    I don't know. I like that Kinoma has all the content right there, so u can see it. But, I keep getting buffering errors and most of the time Kinoma repeats the same 2 seconds of a program. I've tried soft resets hard resets and tzones and tmobile unlimited internet. I can't get it to go away.

I've never had any issues with Ptunes. Works wonderfully each time and I can surf the web and do other things.
    Viva Ptunes.
    I recently purchased the Kinoma 4 upgrade for my 680. Without the benefit of a trial version, I made the purchase based upon all the glowing reviews I'd read. Unfortunately, I haven't had much success with much of the Media Guide content. It's likely that the Cingular Edge network isn't powerful enough to handle higher bandwidth streams, but PTunes seems to stream better for me. I also like PTunes' background play option and its ability to recognize user defined folders on the SD card. For videos, I still use TCPMP for most formats since it doesn't seem to suffer from stuttering during playback. The only thing I'm using Kinoma for is Windows Media and Flash Video. Even then, the playback isn't very smooth. Overall, I'm still waiting to be impressed by Kinoma.