1.    #1  
    I'm having looping problems with my unlocked-GSM 650. I've read the list high and low but cannot find a solution. Here's my situation.

(1) A few days ago I picked up a Transcend 4GB SD card, learned on TreoCentral how to update my ROM with fat32.prc, and did so using grack.com's romtool. I've got a mac, so I did the update using Parallels (i.e., via Windows running on the mac). The update procedure was straightforward (I downloaded the Treo's ROM, replaced fatfs.prc with fat32.prc, and uploaded back to the Treo). Bingo, my new SD card showed 3.8GB. However, it was extremely (unusably) slow. I tried formatting the card on the computer to set a larger cluster size but it was still really slow.

(2) For the time being -- while searching for another solution to my SD card problem -- I decided to restore fatfs.prc. I realized this would limit my card size to 2GB, but at least it would be fast. So I replaced fat32.prc with the original fatfs.prc in the ROM folder and used romtool to upload. Rats: reboot led to endless looping. Warm reset, hard reset, zero-out reset, nothing would stop it.

(3) Fortunately I could still get into rainbow bootloader mode. So I tried going back to the ROM version using fat32.prc (willing to settle for a slow SD card, as long as I had a usable treo!). Grrrr --- more endless looping!

I'm not sure how this has happened, since I only changed a single file in the ROM folder (i.e., fatfs <--> fat32). Does it sound like the ROM has somehow gotten corrupted, or is there another explanation?

Advice would be tremendous. Could I impose on someone to send me a clean 1.20-ENA ROM? (Pretty please?)

Thanks!
    did you keep a backup of your unmodified ROM?
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
  3.    #3  
    Sadly, no -- but I really don't understand how I could have corrupted anything? I replaced exactly one single file (fatfs with fat32), and that worked fine -- but now reverting back to fatfs = looping -- and reverting back (back) to fat32 also = looping?
    Try downloading the original Palm updater then follow these steps to extract the ROM

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&postcount=32
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Don't you have to delete two files (MMCBulverdeIntelDrv_Device.prc and FATFS) and replace them with three (SlotDriver_SDIO-sdsd.prc, SmartTextEngine_Device.prc and FAT32) to get FAT32 to work? Did he only delete FatFS and replace it with Fat32? Would omitting the rest of the steps cause a reset loop?
  6.    #6  
    James, that did the trick, Treo restored! Thank you very much, you're my hero of the week!

After downloading / extracting from the Palm updater, I discovered that the file count in my "old" (corrupt) ROM folder was one higher than in the "new" (Palm) ROM folder. I didn't bother to trace which file, but obviously I inadvertently copied something in here.

Christinac, are those other files perhaps to support an SDHC card? (Mine is a straight SD -- and the fat32.prc file did work, just too slow.)

So, thanks all for the quick replies, especially from James!
    Quote Originally Posted by dneufeld View Post
    James, that did the trick, Treo restored! Thank you very much, you're my hero of the week!

After downloading / extracting from the Palm updater, I discovered that the file count in my "old" (corrupt) ROM folder was one higher than in the "new" (Palm) ROM folder. I didn't bother to trace which file, but obviously I inadvertently copied something in here.

Christinac, are those other files perhaps to support an SDHC card? (Mine is a straight SD -- and the fat32.prc file did work, just too slow.)

So, thanks all for the quick replies, especially from James!
    Oh yeah...that's right! There are so many modifications floating around, I get confused
    I was linked to this thread to possibly help my problem...

I have a Cingular Treo, but cingular gave me the unlock code so now I can use my T Mobile sim in it. A while ago my phone crapped out, and now its stuck on the rainbow Bootload V 0.24 screen. Any kind of reset doesnt do anything

How can I get the origional rom and repair this? I've been using a motorola SLVR for the past while and im going NUTS without my smart phone :'(

Ok I've connected up to ROMTool and now it added USB into the blue bar on the rainbow screen and gives me this error:

"Device Status: Upload Error: Does your phone have a security password?" and I dont know how to get past that, the phone doesnt do ANYTHING so how can I find out/input the security password to make it connect?

Thanks
    Last edited by theratdude64; 04/06/2007 at 01:49 AM.
    clear your password. it is in the way of RomTool.
    The weather in Richmond, B.C. is

The weather in MY Place is

For Car and Pictures Enthusiast!
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cars
    http://www.ngkhai.net/cebupics