Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I appologize if this thread is duplicated elsewhere, if so please ignore and let this quickly sink to the bottom of the pile

So I have a Treo 680 showing up this week (Copper... myeh, beats Graphite IMO) and I'm trying to make sense of all the work that needs to be done to get this thing "fully operational" Seems to be a lot of threads about this so wanted to make sure I'm not missing some cruicial piece.

From what I can tell there's:
    - a DST Patch and Camera Battery life patch to download (MS Email one too but I don't use that)
    - I should let it charge fully upon first use, and over the next few days / weeks the battery life should improve if I keep fully charging it every night (not sure on that, seems to be a lot of questions about battery life here)
    - Keep third party software to a minimum (and reference the already stickied thread about what works / what doesn't on the 680)
    - Hot Sync with a new profile (not from an old Treo or anything, which should'nt be a problem since I've been Palmless for over a year now)

Is there anything else that as a 680 noob I should be doing? Any "must have" utilities to help extend the usefulness in some critical way? Any Bluetooth tweaking that must be done to get it working optimally? I'll have to check out the threads about compatable hardware. Probably going to buy a Seido Inno Dock Jr for charging it at home.

I'll be installing Chattermail (which will hurt the battery life of course, might buy a second battery) and possibly a third party Calender App (Can't remember the name of the one I used on my 600, will have to check if there's a 680 edition) but other then that probably keep at a minimum.

Thanks, here's hoping the 680 was the right choice
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    The 680 is a cool device. I am posting this using Blazer, at a Starbucks, whilst listening to SkyFM Smooth Jazz streaming over Pocket Tunes!

A couple more things you'll want:
    - at least a 2gb memory card for apps, data, music, videos, etc. I have a 4gb card.
    - Kinoma Player so you can watch movies and videos!
    - Filez to help you manage all that data
    - The update to Pocket Tunes, which has a nice internet radio directory built-in and does background play and streaming
    - a truly unlimited data plan with your cell service... I am up to 150megs a month now and that will increase with media streaming

Good Luck!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    See this thread for tips on battery life.

Don't know about keeping third party software to a minimum, but definitely install one thing at a time to be on the alert for conflicts. And if you are going to get into playing with third party software, I recommend installing Uninstall Manager from NorthGlide first so that you can uninstall cleanly.

There are lots of must-have utilities. The question is what is must-have to you. The best bet is to take it easy for the first few weeks and get used to the new toy. See what you think is missing. Chances are there's something that fits. Do a search here and on Google. If you can't find anything, post.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    a couple must-have freewares:

- Google Maps
    - Directory Assistance

Good luck and enjoy the 680
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    The 680 is a cool device. I am posting this using Blazer, at a Starbucks, whilst listening to SkyFM Smooth Jazz streaming over Pocket Tunes!

A couple more things you'll want:
    - at least a 2gb memory card ...
    Interesting. I have a 4Gb card, and it's not the memory that was a problem with streaming music. How do you find the battery holding up? I found streaming mp3 used more power than anything, except maybe GPS...between 10 and 20% of battery power per hour. How is yours?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the tips, now all I need is the device in my grubby hands and I should be good to go. I've got a 1 gig card for now, I'll see how that holds up. My Data plan is unlimited GPRS through a grandfathered plan on Fido up here in Canada... I'm hoping they re-introduce this up here, right now data is unbelieveably expensive otherwise ($60 for 30 megs? no thanks!)
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    Th
    - at least a 2gb memory card for apps, data, music, videos, etc. I have a 4gb card.!
    I'm out of touch with a 650.....I presume from this comment that the 680 now accepts greater than 2 gb cards (without patches, rom formats etc)?
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I did'nt think it would, but checking the forums out it appears it does do the 4gig thing.
    One post that talks about it:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=4gb
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Squires View Post
    I'm out of touch with a 650.....I presume from this comment that the 680 now accepts greater than 2 gb cards (without patches, rom formats etc)?
    Correct, the patches being used for SDHC came from the 680. FAT32 was already in the unit. 4GB & 8GB SDHC are working. However it shows the free space based on 4GB max so you have to have over 4GB loaded on an 8GB card to see the acurate free space.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Correct, the patches being used for SDHC came from the 680. FAT32 was already in the unit. 4GB & 8GB SDHC are working. However it shows the free space based on 4GB max so you have to have over 4GB loaded on an 8GB card to see the acurate free space.
    Way cool. I am finally tempted.

But really---I'm still jonesing for wi-fi. How dumb can Palm be not to put out a wi-fi model?
    I shudder to think of the battery life if there were wifi.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    8 gig??? Whoa.

If the 750 would'nt have cost me like $900 to import to Canada I probably would have gone with that since it can run WiFi via mini-sd (even if not "well) I'm hoping now that Palm can hack Garnet to hell and back they'll find away to at least support a wifi card in POS/GOS on a Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I shudder to think of the battery life if there were wifi.
    Yes, well, that is the 2d reason I haven't upgraded.

It's hard to believe that they issued the device with a battery this puny. In the history of civilization, when has power ever gone DOWN?