Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Greetings! This ought to be a sticky! I just discovered today, that if you hard reset your Treo 680, installed patches are not restored!

The Camera, Daylight Savings Time and Exchange Active Sync patches are not part of the built-in rom, and therefore won't exist when you hard reset. This may not be a big deal for those of you who hotsync, but my 680 doesn't touch pcs. It is a standalone device that gets its data directly from Exchange and a 4gb sd card. I didn't realize the camera patch was no longer installed, and have been draining my battery today! Lucky for me I brought a charger!

Thought people might like to know!
    Mike
    ps. When will Palm release a ROM image upgrade to make these important changes permanent? Heh, when they figure out how to prevent users from modding that ROM for their own purposes, that's when!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Yup, my experience as well. I think it's been discussed in previous threads so sticky might not be a bad idea...
    There's a DST update patch? Where? I couldn't find it on the Palm website.
    yup....

The patches are installed to Ram. When a hard reset is done, this wipes the Ram memory.

If you don't want to hotsync, you can backup the Ram with a backup application to the card. And do a full or selective restore of the Ram after a hard reset with the backup program.

Or you can use a file manager and create a folder on the card, and save the patch files in that folder.

When you have to do a hard reset, you can copy the saved patch files back to Ram...

Palm states that these patches will be lost during a hard reset.
    I suspect that they will only become permanent in the next Firmware update (whenever that is).
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    There's a DST update patch? Where? I couldn't find it on the Palm website.

Nevermind -- an email just came in from Palm a few moments ago. The patch is here: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...mh=dm13.129641
    Got a question....

do you need the patch if your clock/calender sync's with the network?
    Well they'll be permanent in the next firmware update :P
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I put them in my \palm\launcher dir on my SD so I can run them at any time. I had to do this with my Zire71 because all the patches were always lost after a hard reset.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Got a question....

do you need the patch if your clock/calender sync's with the network?
    You should. The DST patch will set the appropriate time zone. So when the time changes, you'll be in DST rather than EST (or wherever you are). Depending on what you use your device for, this distinction can be important. The DST patch also changes the DST settings for the cities built into the device. So while you might get the right time from the network, the time for other cities in World Clock, for example, would be wrong.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    Is it imperative to download the patch? I realize that I manually set the time/date on my clock when I first set up my phone. If I continually just update the phone myself, this should be fine, right? Or will it conflict with my mobile provider??
    It's rarely imperative that you use a patch. You just "suffer" the consequences that the patch was designed to resolve. Is there a reason you don't want to install the patch?

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    yup....

The patches are installed to Ram. When a hard reset is done, this wipes the Ram memory.

If you don't want to hotsync, you can backup the Ram with a backup application to the card. And do a full or selective restore of the Ram after a hard reset with the backup program.

Or you can use a file manager and create a folder on the card, and save the patch files in that folder.

When you have to do a hard reset, you can copy the saved patch files back to Ram...

Ditto on the backup suggestion. The most useful application that I have found recently is NVBackup. Free and it works great at recovering from all kinds of problems. I keep 3 days of backups. You can even selectively restore files. Take a look.

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...&prodID=121637
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    Why does Palm's website say to not install the EAS update on a Cingular Treo?
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Cingular doesn't want their users to make use of EAS because (I believe) they don't feel their network is ready for the added traffic, and they don't have a cost model to overcharge their users yet. But don't worry, when they can track EAS usage and bill for it, it will work on a Cingular Treo. My guess is if you take the Versamail files with the patched bits and load them on a Cingular Treo it would work just fine.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    Cingular doesn't want their users to make use of EAS because (I believe) they don't feel their network is ready for the added traffic, and they don't have a cost model to overcharge their users yet. But don't worry, when they can track EAS usage and bill for it, it will work on a Cingular Treo. My guess is if you take the Versamail files with the patched bits and load them on a Cingular Treo it would work just fine.
    I disagree. Cingular currently makes EAS available on all WM devices including the Treo 750 and all WM Smartphones.
    Mike