Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been battling with this decision for about a month and find myself not making a single bit of progress.

I have the 680 and when it's working, I like it. The problem is that it freezes up with regularity. From turning on the phone to checking email it goes into a coma about once a day and always when I need to use the phone NOW. I've adjusted to the bismal battery life but the instability is getting frustrating.

My options... go to the 750, go to the BlackJack or try another 680. The Cingular slider phones are too bulky and I don't want to pay the extra bucks for a Blackberry package.

I use the phone primarily for calender and contact management, email, and internet access.

Any suggestions on an option to get a fairly stable phone? Are any of the options I'm considering better than the other? Am I missing anything? I'm also tempted to go back to the Motorola Razor but I hate going back to the numeric keypad and the smaller screen.
    Who is your service provider? Is your phone box-stock...or are you running a lot of apps? I am a relative newbie...but I hear that not all apps play well with the Palm OS, and not even with each other.

I had the Samsung Blackjack (since you mentioned it...I assume you're with Cingular)...and although it's a good phone, I couldn't get comfy with the Windows Mobile 5 OS at all, hated the little screen, and hated the weirdly laid-out quasi-qwerty keypad. I actually exchanged it for the Treo 680.

The 750 is also a Windows-based phone, and although I considered it at first, the OS and the cost factor kept me away.

I would suggest, if you really like your 680...that you call Cingular Technical Services from a landline and ask them to do a forced re-register of your phone to the network. This took care of an initial instability problem I had...and have not had one since freezing problem since. It may solve your problem also...at least it's worth a try. If that fails to satisfy...try another 680. My first one went into a deep-dark coma that made me exchange for another within the first 10-days...and this new one has been pretty glitch-free overall, after some "tuning" from Cingular Tech. and going to a 64k "2G" SIM.
    Last edited by davistld01; 03/06/2007 at 10:08 AM.
    Isn't that the name of a song?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    The 700w,750 series are a great way to get onto the Windows Mobile platform because they behave very much like their Palm OS counterparts, the power button, ringer switch, touchscreen, etc.. if you're used to that.

Don't these companies give you 15 days to try devices out? Give them all a trial run if you can.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    As I posted on another thread, I had very similar problems until about 1 week ago when I did a hard reset and then synced to a fresh PC (no previous palm install). My 680s been working pretty much like a dream since then...
  6. lms
    If you've come to a tolerance of the battery life I'd say don't switch.

I had a 680 and loved everything about it except for the battery life so I returned it and dusted off my 650. I use mine for exactly the same purposes you use yours.

When I was following this forum more, I didn't hear of a lot of unexplained freezes and resets like you're having.

I'd suggest a hard reset and use the phone without any extra apps for a while, and then slowly add one app at a time. if it's still not working, perhaps the phone's bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I've been battling with this decision for about a month and find myself not making a single bit of progress.

I have the 680 and when it's working, I like it. The problem is that it freezes up with regularity. From turning on the phone to checking email it goes into a coma about once a day and always when I need to use the phone NOW. I've adjusted to the bismal battery life but the instability is getting frustrating.

My options... go to the 750, go to the BlackJack or try another 680. The Cingular slider phones are too bulky and I don't want to pay the extra bucks for a Blackberry package.

I use the phone primarily for calender and contact management, email, and internet access.

Any suggestions on an option to get a fairly stable phone? Are any of the options I'm considering better than the other? Am I missing anything? I'm also tempted to go back to the Motorola Razor but I hate going back to the numeric keypad and the smaller screen.
    Copper

My $.02. I faced the same kind of question when I had my 650. (We all remember the instability issues.) I jumped back to a carrying a RAZR for my phone and regular Palm for everything else. What a hassle, keeping two lists of phone numbers synced - not to mention having to carry two devices!

I have also tried using a BlackBerry (My company requires me to use it to get my Notes email.) I don't like it as a phone and the calendar sucks. Plus I miss the applications that I esed with my Palm.

Bottom line, I went back to the T650 and Palm finally came up with an update to get it stable.

I really don't like the short battery life issues with my new T680, but I've learned to live with it.....and I have to believe that Palm will come up with a ROM fix.

If I were you, I'd try to wait it out.
    Dennis G. Esler
  8.    #8  
    Davist... cingular is my carrier. I'm going to give the re-registration a try.

I do like the phone and have been really tempted to get another one without a camera to see if there's a difference. Matter of fact I'd prefer one without a camera but it was available back in December. If I didn't have the fear that I'd be buying another phone with problems, I'd do that.
  9.    #9  
    Ok.
    Called Cingular and they recommended a hard reset. I hate hard resets.
  10.    #10  
    I've now explained the force re-register and the agent feels that it won't work. We're going to try it regardless, in hopes of avoiding a hard reset.

Cingular is very reluctant to admit there are problems with the 680. I mentioned the Sim card issues (old vs. 3G) and they said while they recommend updating the Sim card, they are unaware of any issues with the old.

Fingers crossed.
    Davist... cingular is my carrier. I'm going to give the re-registration a try.

I do like the phone and have been really tempted to get another one without a camera to see if there's a difference. Matter of fact I'd prefer one without a camera but it was available back in December. If I didn't have the fear that I'd be buying another phone with problems, I'd do that.
    December...??? Hmmm...seems like the Cingular Business Services rep offered me the choice of a Treo 680 with or without camera when I called and ordered mine. There was no difference in price...so I went with the camera, although it was probably a dumb move since the app requires a patch and I hardly ever use it anyway. Oh well...

I'd call Cingular and see if the non-camera version is still available. Bet it is.
    Early batches of Treos tend to be less stable...
    coppertop,

I am in the same boat. I took the plunge and ordered the 750 off the premier website for $454 and have been using it for about a week now. PIE is very fast on the 3G service compared to the 680. I have had absolutely no issues with the unit itself, just trying to get used to the WM OS. I really like the layout of the Today screen. Having been a Palm OS user for the past (many) years I can say it is a little more user friendly but the WM is kinda cool. I did try a Dell with the WM OS and did not like it but I do like the 750 so far.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    December...??? Hmmm...seems like the Cingular Business Services rep offered me the choice of a Treo 680 with or without camera when I called and ordered mine. There was no difference in price...so I went with the camera, although it was probably a dumb move since the app requires a patch and I hardly ever use it anyway. Oh well...

I'd call Cingular and see if the non-camera version is still available. Bet it is.
    I was going to go for the non-camera version but they hadn't recieved any when I ordered the 680. I never, ever use the camera and would rather not have it (one more thing to break or booger things up). I'm just not sold on the 750 but if I went that route, it wouldn't have a camera.

The Premiere site has them now and I am tempted to bite the bullet and go for the non-camera model in hopes that the later models are more stable.

I'll give the re-registration a few days and if it doesn't work, maybe go for the non-camera version.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies View Post
    coppertop,

I am in the same boat. I took the plunge and ordered the 750 off the premier website for $454 and have been using it for about a week now. PIE is very fast on the 3G service compared to the 680. I have had absolutely no issues with the unit itself, just trying to get used to the WM OS. I really like the layout of the Today screen. Having been a Palm OS user for the past (many) years I can say it is a little more user friendly but the WM is kinda cool. I did try a Dell with the WM OS and did not like it but I do like the 750 so far.
    I swear everytime I write the 750 off someone comes along and keeps it on the table.

Gadget.... two questions, how's the battery life and do you have problems with programs running in the background crashing the 750?
    The battery life seems pretty good. I can get through the day with email (30 or so) half dozen phone calls, moderate web use and constant calendar and messaging and still have well over 50% left by the end of the day (I check it around 11PM and then put it on the charger). My use is probably light compared to most but I think it is still good.

I have only loaded 3 aps and have not had a single problem. No delays, freezes or anything.

I like the integration with Outlook. For some odd reason when I loaded the software with the 680 on my laptop it caused Outlook to freeze, but the same software on my wifes PC did not. She still has the 680 but really likes the layout and features of the 750. (may be buying another one).

Time will tell. It definitely takes some time getting used to the WM OS but like I said I like it so far.
  17.    #17  
    Before the Treo's were offered in this market, I used a WinMobile PDA but I haven't used a WM Treo yet. The one thing that drove me nuts is forgetting to shut down all the apps once I opened them up.
    yeah agreed. [QUOTE=davistld01;1213449]Who is your service provider? Is your phone box-stock...or are you running a lot of apps? I am a relative newbie...but I hear that not all apps play well with the Palm OS, and not even with each other.

I had the Samsung Blackjack (since you mentioned it...I assume you're with Cingular)...and although it's a good phone, I couldn't get comfy with the Windows Mobile 5 OS at all, hated the little screen, and hated the weirdly laid-out quasi-qwerty keypad. I actually exchanged it for the Treo 680.

The 750 is also a Windows-based phone, and although I considered it at first, the OS and the cost factor kept me away.

I would suggest, if you really like your 680...that you call Cingular Technical Services from a landline and ask them to do a forced re-register of your phone to the network. This took care of an initial instability problem I had...and have not had one since freezing problem since. It may solve your problem also...at least it's worth a try. If that fails to satisfy...tr
    Before the Treo's were offered in this market, I used a WinMobile PDA but I haven't used a WM Treo yet. The one thing that drove me nuts is forgetting to shut down all the apps once I opened them up.
    That can be an issue but you can hit one button that shows what is open and then tap one key to shut all of them down or select individual apps to shut down. I have never shut down all of them. I usually have email, internet and messgaing going all the time and still get the battery life I described above.
  20.    #20  
    Almost 24 hours since the re-registry and no freeze-ups. Finger's crossed again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast