Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Ok... 48 hours without needed to reset the 680.
    The re-registry suggestion has either worked or it's a coincedence.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Either way...it's a good thing
    Glad you are doing well with it. My phone has been free from the "gibberish-gremlins" since the re-registry was done. And, with the improvement in either battery life, or the proper metering of the life...life is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Glad you are doing well with it. My phone has been free from the "gibberish-gremlins" since the re-registry was done. And, with the improvement in either battery life, or the proper metering of the life...life is good.
    It sounds like it's time to add some "fun" stuff to your new toy...
  5.    #25  
    I spoke too soon...

I made it 72 hours without a freeze-up. Just a bit ago, I went to turn on my 680 and it froze.

I'm going to work on the three strikes rule. Two more freezes and I pursue other options (a) another 680 b)Blackjack c)750).
    I spoke too soon...

I made it 72 hours without a freeze-up. Just a bit ago, I went to turn on my 680 and it froze.

I'm going to work on the three strikes rule. Two more freezes and I pursue other options (a) another 680 b)Blackjack c)750).
    My 680 has been 100% freeze-free. It has been re-registered...but also is running a 64k "2G" old-school SIM instead of the "fireball" 3G SIM that comes with the Cingular phone. That SIM might be the key...I dunno.

I've had the Blackjack, and it is an OK mobile phone...but you'll be disappointed with the tiny screen and cramped pseudo-qwerty keypad. I really didn't "feel" Windows OS either...but that's just me. The 750 has had more than it's share of quirks...just check the "new posts" every day. LOTS of 750 issues...even moreso than the 680, or so it seems. I'm a newb though...so what do I know? I will also say the price point of the 750 kept me away initially as well.

If worse comes to worse...hope you'll try another 680.
  7.    #27  
    Davist,

I've got the newer Sim card and have heard just the opposite from what your experience is. I've been told that the older cards don't like the 680 as well as the newer ones do.

I'm leaning towards a 680 without the camera right now. I like the looks of the BlackJack but will wish it had a touch screen and a full version of WM5. I agree that the honeymoon might be over with the 750. A lot of bugs coming to the surface.

The 680 is all I need in a smartphone, I just wish it was more stable.
    Try to find the 3G "fireball" sim with 73000G 3021 at the end of the number on the back...
    I want a fireball one. All I have is a standard 64MB SIM.
  10.    #30  
    Second lock up yesterday. They are averaging about 48 hours apart now. This time when I turned on my email application.

One more strike and I think it's either a) a new 680 or b) the Blackjack. I just can't justify the expense of a 750, even though it's tempting.

Oh my Sim card is the 3021 model.
    Second lock up yesterday. They are averaging about 48 hours apart now. This time when I turned on my email application.

One more strike and I think it's either a) a new 680 or b) the Blackjack. I just can't justify the expense of a 750, even though it's tempting.

Oh my Sim card is the 3021 model.
    I would do an exchange for another 680 if I were you...
  12.    #32  
    I'm well beyond the exchange period. I could use Cingular's warranty exchange but they send out refurbished units. Last time I did that I got a phone with 20,000 minutes of use.
    I'm well beyond the exchange period. I could use Cingular's warranty exchange but they send out refurbished units. Last time I did that I got a phone with 20,000 minutes of use.
    I have had success with Cingular when I have had similar problems by calling until I could find a CSR that could sympathize, and arrange for you to get a "conditional upgrade or exchange" and perhaps you can do the same. I had a Motorola RAZR a couple of years ago that was nothing but problems...and they sent me a new one, and allowed me to send the old one back...and I was long past the 30-day grace period. I had to talk to several different CSR's before I got a young woman who was nice enough to get a supervisor to bend the rules a little...and they can do that.

I have also asked for and recieved "conditional upgrades" that allowed me to get another device at a hugely discounted upgrade price. The only downfall to that is that you would have to do another 2-year agreement...and shell out the money for another device. But...at least you'd get a new phone instead of a refurb.

Hope any of that helps...
  14.    #34  
    I go through the business service and getting another new phone shouldn't be a problem. I'm hoping the problem miraculously goes away but if not, I'll do some shopping.
  15.    #35  
    I had the opportunity to test drive a 750 for a couple of days and had forgotten how complex WM can be. I don't know if it's being lazy or not but I like the simplicity of Palm OS.

I like exiting a program and knowing it's shut down. I like going to the home page and tapping on an icon to open a program. I think WM would be more better recieved if it had more of a desktop feel to it and that when you hit the "x" the program shut down.

WM is well suited for some but it exceeds my needs by miles. I'm going to stick with the 680 and if need be, replace it with a new one. The stability issues are my main concern and I really get tired of soft resets, especially when I need to make a call now.

Hopefully, Palm will issue a update soon that will address the 680's quircks. If not, this go around, I'll get the model without the camera and see how the two compare.
    There are NONE of these problems here on the T-mobile side of the fence so you can't really say it's a PALM problem. It's probably more accurately a Cingular version of the Palm 680 problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    There are NONE of these problems here on the T-mobile side of the fence so you can't really say it's a PALM problem. It's probably more accurately a Cingular version of the Palm 680 problem.
    I tend to agree. But somebody here said that they had found out that Cingular is very much aware of things, and they...in partnership with Palm, are working on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    I agree. I don't understand why people keep saying it's a hardware problem when re-registering the device with Cingular or changing the SIM card seems to have worked for the majority of users...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12