1.    #1  
    Any advice?

1. once in a while, phone shows "no service - SOS only" in ok service areas. Turning phone off then on resolves it.

2. clock runs slow, after my having shut off automatic network time correction (to conserve battery). After the firmware and camera updates, has anyone found it safe to re-enable automatic time correction?

3. when I dont use internet for a while, internet disconnects, so if I want to go to a web page or send an email have to wait while phone reconnects to internet.

4. after soft resets, network resets to Tmo-internet (I'm signed up for Tmo-Web). If I try to go to a web page, it won't successfully connect, and I have to go to prefs and choose tmoweb
    Last edited by Chowhound; 03/06/2007 at 08:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I also use T-Mobile, and have noticed some of the quirks you mention, although I have never lost service. It is very strong where I live and so far where I have travelled. I found the clock can be put back to network time and it didn't seem to make any difference to my battery (which is great after the initial time it took to "break in"). I think the time-out in your item 3 is normal. I usually disconnect manually after using the Internet. Not sure if that bothers the battery, I've heard both good and bad versions, so I play it safe. Your item 4 is normal for T-mobile. Very annoying. I use T-Zones for my data connection and after my backup is through it will usually do a soft reset as part of its process. Most of the time the network swaps back to Internet and I have to move it back. I have seen this mentioned on other threads, so it is a common annoyance for those of us on T-mobile, but when you consider how much cheaper our unlimited data plans are (at least for T-Zones), I'm not complaining.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, Maris, I really appreciate it.

HOpefully some others with 680 + TMO will speak up re: the remaining mysteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
    Any advice?

1. once in a while, phone shows "no service - SOS only" in ok service areas. Turning phone off then on resolves it.

2. clock runs slow, after my having shut off automatic network time correction (to conserve battery). After the firmware and camera updates, has anyone found it safe to re-enable automatic time correction?

3. when I dont use internet for a while, internet disconnects, so if I want to go to a web page or send an email have to wait while phone reconnects to internet.

4. after soft resets, network resets to Tmo-internet (I'm signed up for Tmo-Web). If I try to go to a web page, it won't successfully connect, and I have to go to prefs and choose tmoweb
    1- I get this is bad signal areas, middle of a building or edge of coverage.
    2- I have automatic enabled, I haven't seen a difference with it enabled or disabled as far as battery drain or stability. Without it enabled I had to adjust the time after every reset-battery change.
    3-No different than any other Treo I have had.
    4-Known issue, I had my plan changed to T-Mobile Internet to resolve it. Hope for fix with the first update.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Ditto to all four of the above. It disconnects on #3 to help save on battery life and connect charges. Not everyone has unlimited data plans.

6.    #6  
    Just to clarify on #1: it's reading "no service - SOS only" in areas with perfect reception (sometimes). Turning phone off then on always brings back perfect reception.

I don't know what makes it lapse, but since I don't keep an eagle eye on signal (in known good areas, e.g. at home), this is making me miss lots of calls. I'ts a big problem....
    loose SIM?
    I experience problems 2 and 4. I just leave the auto time zone on all the time, that fixes no.2. . I hope palm makes a fix for the network settings though. it is irritating.
    Another T-Mobile "quirk", if you want to call it that, is that when you are sent a MMS message (picture message), it appears as only a thumbnail, and not a full-sized picture. It has something to do with not appropriating enough bandwidth, or something like that. I hope this gets fixed soon - it is very frustrating!
  10.    #10  
    why's the damn clock run so slow without network connection? I haven't had a watch run slow since my cheap wind-up in third grade in 1970.
    LOL I think when you signal is lost the treo doesn't know to update the time.
  12.    #12  
    But that's just...insane!
    Last edited by Chowhound; 03/07/2007 at 10:11 AM.
    I've learned not to trust the signal bar. I've seen at times that when it displays "no service - SOS only", I can still make oubound calls. Once the call is established, the display changes to bars.
    I had all these problems with my 680 on the t-mobile network. have t-mobile replace your sim, its' what fixed the problem for me.