Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Before reading on, this is a compilation of my various tips and tricks to improve performance of the 680. I have put this together because I am receiving an increasing number of requests for advice, and it seems easiest to put it all here. If you have read my other posts, then there will be nothing much new here, so save yourself the time and effort.

For those that are still reading….There have been many many posts from lots of people with tips and tricks about how to maximise battery life (between charges) on the 680. I know some people are convinced that it is simply underpowered, and does not perform even close to its specifications (4 hrs talk time, 300 hrs standby with phone radio ON) but the fact is, these specs can be achieved (or near enough anyway). My 680 does this and I have seen enough other reports now to know that mine is not an isolated case. My point is that the 680 does seem to have its fair share of problems and bugs, but is not inherently and irreversibly flawed, and if you have problems with your 680s performance, it is possible to fix them. Because I have been pretty vocal about how well my 680 performs, and have provided tips and tricks here and there, I have been receiving lots of requests in various threads, and private messages, for details about what to do. One request was to put these tips all in the one place. My hands hurt from typing, and my family is starting to miss me, and my wife no longer believes I am in here working, so at risk of provoking the serial knockers, I will put all the tips I have here in this one post. For those folks who are keen to try these tips – good luck, I hope it helps and would appreciate you posting your experience. For those folks who want to have a whinge and a gripe, ….come on – have a go ya mugs

So, here we go:

Firstly, if you are already getting several days out of the one charge, and roughly 0.5% battery drain per hour on standby (with phone radio on) then you need not read on and should be happy! If you do go on, you might try loading 'Battery Graph' freeware. I use it all the time and it is very helpful for the following steps.

1. Make sure the battery meter is calibrated:
    I think this is the single most important thing that I did to my 680. The basic idea is to calibrate the battery meter, NOT to condition the battery. This means that the battery meter only registers 0% when the battery is as low as it can go (beyond which point the phone will no longer function). So, you simply need to run it right down, ignore the warnings and requests to recharge it, until it shuts down and cant be restarted. No need to let it run down slowly. Put bejewelled on (if you have it) or do something to keep the power draining faster with the screen on and it will run down pretty quickly. If you can, watch for when it hits 0%, and see how long after that it takes to shut down. Then, fully charge it. That's it! Many have observed that they rapidly approach 0%, only to find it stops at or near 0% and keeps functioning for a surprising amount of time (hours!). This is because the battery meter was not properly calibrated to begin with, and if it happens to you, then you know your meter wasn’t calibrated properly and you can already start to smile. This will also mean the meter was running down faster than it should, and you will think you are getting worse performance than you really are. On the other hand, if your meter gets to 0% and your 680 promptly dies, then your meter was probably fine. It can make a huge difference – more than doubling your 680s performance!. Some people may have done this inadvertently if their 680 completely ran down before they could recharge, but ONLY if it ran down to the point where it wouldn’t function (which is not the same as running down to 0% then recharging). Note, you should not do this repeatedly, because fully draining the battery is not good for its overall lifespan (but every month or less is unlikely to make much of a difference). The basic idea is derived from various websites about LiIon battery performance, such as:
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm,
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

NB There is another trick that is reported to fix the battery meter, but it doesn't! It is known as ‘the battery reset’ where you plug the 680 in, pull the battery, wait a minute, pull the SIM, wait another minute, then put it back together again and charge. This was reputed to be from Palm, but it isn’t, and I think it is as dodgy as it sounds, but each to his own…You may also see this referred to as the SIM chicken dance, Scandinavian SIM Shuffle, etc etc.

For a remarkable case study of someone (davistld01) who had tried the SIM chicken dance, then the approach I described above, read from this thread page http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=138054&page=2

2. Make sure the camera patch is properly installed.
    (particularly if you have one of the earlier 680s). This should be widely known now, but just in case, check this link to see if you need it. http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...eraupdate.html

3. Test your standby battery drain rate.
    If you already know it, and it is in the realm of 0.5% per hour, then don't worry about this step. I think the best way to measure if your 680 is performing with minimal drain rate is when it is in standby mode (phone on, but no active use) because when in use, there will be too much variation depending on how heavy the use and what you are doing. Experience suggests that higher drain in standby mode is probably the cause of most people's dissatisfaction (apart from mdavis ) - it certainly was the cause of mine when I first got my 680 and it would barely last 10 hours with little use. So, if you dont already know your standby drain rate, or if you do know it and it is not lower than 1% per hour (assuming 3 or more signal bars), then try this...

Leave phone radio on. Turn off BT and IR beam receive (these are active functions that drain power as would be expected, so not really part of standby mode, and typically they don’t need to be on constantly). Measure the battery drain over a period of hours where there is no active use (overnight should do it) by calculating the drop in percentage over time. eg. check the percentage when you go to sleep, and again when you wake up in the morning (before using your 680 for anything else!), and divide the percentage difference by the number of hours between measurements. My results (tested many times) are 0.3-0.5% per hour on standby. Signal strength = 3 bars.

If you get worse than 1% per hour, it is likely that your 680 is not working as efficiently as it can. Depending on how much worse than 1% per hour it is, you might want to try this: Repeat step 3, but this time, perform a soft reset last thing before going to bed, then measure the drain rate overnight in standby mode (making sure the phone radio is back ON). The point is that after the soft reset, you haven’t activated any of the functions/software other than those that are necessary for it to be on (apart from ones that may automatically come on which are harder to exclude). If the soft reset doesn’t make any difference to the drain rate, then you could try the same thing after a hard reset (much more of a hassle though). If these steps allow you to achieve the optimal standby drain rate (0.5% per hour) but then it reverts to a lower standby drain rate the next time you get a chance to test it, then you know that something is preventing you from getting optimal battery life between charges and you can start to eliminate variables…eg. software.

4. Don't get too hung up on the immediate drain after charging.
    The 680 does not register 100% when you unplug the charger. At best, it will drop to 99% (because as soon as you start using it, it is no longer at 100%). In many cases however, it drops below 99%, sometimes down to 90% or less! This is not related to battery meter calibration. This is a real reading, and seems to be because the charger simply does not maintain the charge at 100%. While charging, it will reach 100%, but then start to decline, and it actually seems to decline faster than the standby drain rate. The amount it declines by appears to correlate with the amount of time that passes after it hits 100%. If you were watching for when the light goes green, and then unplugged it, you will probably find it stays at 99%. Remedies: 1. Don't worry about it. 2. Plug it back in again for a few more minutes or however long it takes to go green. A one off loss of a few percent doesn't matter if your 680 is performing well otherwise. This seems to be a bug with the 680 and should be fixed, but I can live with it for the time being.

Several people have claimed that sync cable charging works better than wall adaptor charging. I have not observed this, so cant really comment, except that one explanation may be that the sync cable charges slower, so your TREO reaches 100% later, and therefore drains less before being unplugged. Watch out for other non-680 chargers. Some are incompatible with the 680.

...did I say top 4 tips...???

5. Watch out for the newest/latest (but probably as old as the 680) bug ….TGP.
    This seems to be a bug, similar to the camera problem, where certain patterns of GSM (phone) use trigger a higher battery drain rate that continues until you actively intervene. It is too much to explain here, so please check this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=138460
    Last edited by DIG; 03/06/2007 at 06:26 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY TREO 680 TIPS & TRICKS KING!!!:

Wow, DIG...my fingers ache for ya! Yeah, my phone is still going almost a full 48-hours on a full charge with full use after your meter calibration "trick". Don't know about standby drain percentage, since I don't have a backup phone to use while my Treo is "standing by", but of all that I have done the full drain/full charge has done the best for me. And, obviously it was not about extending the life of the battery...it was about making sure the battery meter was accurately showing how much charge I did have.

But...lets face it, nobody that I have read any reports from here is getting the use time promised by Palm in their product ads. Nobody. Since the meter recalibration, mine is acceptable...but not what I would like it to be. Palm does need to address their false claims and promises, and the complaints of faithful users (I'm a newbie...but there are many out there) that are not getting what they paid for.
  3.    #3  
    Awww shucks....or are you stirring me...???

I just have to add. While I can not imagine actually going 300 hours in standby without using my TREO, I did get 5 full days with light use and various experimental conditions soon after I purchased it (while I was on holiday with little interruption). Some of those conditions drained the battery much faster than my standby rate for several hours. I project (based on my standby rate of <0.5% per hour) that I would get 200+ hours on standby! (and my best standby rate over several hours with strong signal strength has been 0.3% per hour = projected 300 hours). TCK posted that he gets 0.4% on standby. That would project to 250 hours. So, I am not so sure that the spec rate of 4 hours talk time, 300 standby time is that far off. The problem is it is nearly impossible to actually go for 300 hours without using the 680, so it will obviously fall short depending on how much use there is. THere are still bugs that have to be fixed, but I think the 680 does have the ability to get to its specified performance rates, maybe I am alone with that impression....
    i have an alternative way to reset battery meter:

here is one of my suggestions

when your treo is FULLY charged, try to soft reset your treo using a 3rd part app (i have zlauncher so i used this)

this will reset the circuitry of your palm (i read this somewhere, and i really cant remember, but its something very old already and i figured it will do the same to my treo).

how to know if you have successfully done this:
    you will notice that whenever you unplug your treo it will not read 100% or even 99% it will read something like 90-98% and it will drop its charge rather quickly even on stand by:
    1. after unplugging it, it will read 99% (like my treo 650)
    2. will stay at 99% longer (mine stayed for 2-3 hours)

I THINK, this is a faster way to reset the circuitry rather than draining your battery down, which can also be "bad" for a lithium ion battery (of course if done repeatedly and excessivley)

NOTE: i know the only way to soft reset the treo 680 is by removing the battery, pls look for an app that will soft reset your treo 680 without the need to remove the battery since this might interfere with the circuit reset.

NOTE uli: these are based on my personal experienced coupled with some facts (as stated above). but i think its sound naman

another NOTE: my battery lasted 2 full days
    i had 50 sent sms messages
    5-10 min call
    20 min continuous verichat use
    extensive PIM and PDA use (since i was on duty)
    i had BT and IR off, I also have keyshades which turns off the lights of the keyboard
    i was able to sync via BT (which we all know takes a long time)

hope this helps

to add on this:

my treo already came with the camera patch installed. i tried installing it but it wont. my treo is an openline treo gsm non branded

and i still have 24% of bat left at the end of the day
  5. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    DIG Item 4.
    Dont forget I am the only one who gets about 96%, immediately when unplug from power source, after a full nite charge with phone disconnected from network, BT/IR off, mp3 off, screen off etc off.

DIG, looks like I am the sole person experiencing this issue. I have not read this reported anywhere else.

So I believe the decline after unplugging is independent of whether it is running as a PDA only or a smartphone.
    Last edited by tck; 03/06/2007 at 08:53 AM.
    But...lets face it, nobody that I have read any reports from here is getting the use time promised by Palm in their product ads. Nobody.
    Speak for yourself. I live about 10 minutes from work, and charge my 680 with my car charger to and from work, during lunch, etc. I haven't plugged the phone in to charge via a normal "plugged in the wall" charger for at least a month now, and with only about 30 minutes of charging time per day my 680 never drops below 75% on the battery meter. I often don't remember to plug the phone into the car charger some days, and I've gone 3 or 4 days (with normal use) before charging again, the battery meter getting nowhere close to showing empty.
    Quote Originally Posted by tccentex View Post
    Speak for yourself. I live about 10 minutes from work, and charge my 680 with my car charger to and from work, during lunch, etc. I haven't plugged the phone in to charge via a normal "plugged in the wall" charger for at least a month now, and with only about 30 minutes of charging time per day my 680 never drops below 75% on the battery meter. I often don't remember to plug the phone into the car charger some days, and I've gone 3 or 4 days (with normal use) before charging again, the battery meter getting nowhere close to showing empty.

But, you say that you are plugging your "quick" car charger to and from work, during lunch, etc. You are actually "topping off" your battery several times a day. No wonder it never drops below 75%. You never give it a full "melt-down", or so it sounds like. My charge drops much slower from 99% to 60% than from 55% to 10% for whatever reason...

I am talking about from a full-charge off the charger to the meter showing 0%charge...I doubt seriously that many here are experiencing the real-world performance that Palm describes. Maybe I shouldn't talk in absolutes, without taking a poll or whatever...but I would imagine there is some difference between the Palm specs and what most people are really getting.

I'm not bagging on the phone at all...just speculating. I'm pretty satisfied overall with my phones performance.
  8.    #8  
    It is not really feasible to go for 300 hours purely in standby mode to test the specs, however, it is possible to extrapolate from battery graph to estimate the standby time. I have attached a battery graph display from my last 6 days. The vertical light blue lines represent midnight. The dark blue sloping line represents percent battery remaining. I have been using my 680 pretty heavily over this period so there are plenty of points where the slope is steep (testing TGP, calls, SMS, emails, calendar stuff, and the biggest drains are due to my wife's bejewelled activity). I have charged the phone three times during this period. However, if you look at the period just after midnight each day (when I am asleep!), you will see a straight line for 6-8 hours, where the drain rate is slightly lower than 0.5% per hour (extrapolating over the day you would expect a drop of about 10%). Note, this is consistent regardless of whether the charge is at 90% or at 20% and my battery meter is always pretty consistent and predictable. So, a standby drain rate of 10% per day equates to 240 hours of standby. My signal strength fluctuates between 3 and 4 bars, so I could not expect maximum efficiency. This is why I believe that the 680 can achieve 300 hours in standby mode. Note, the phone radio is on the whole time.
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...IMG_2468_2.jpg
    Last edited by DIG; 03/06/2007 at 06:14 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tck View Post
    DIG Item 4.
    Dont forget I am the only one who gets about 96%, immediately when unplug from power source, after a full nite charge with phone disconnected from network, BT/IR off, mp3 off, screen off etc off.

DIG, looks like I am the sole person experiencing this issue. I have not read this reported anywhere else.

So I believe the decline after unplugging is independent of whether it is running as a PDA only or a smartphone.
    Hi tck
    this doesnt really surprise me. I dont think there was any suggestion that the drain after charging was GSM related. I wouldnt be surprised if this happened to all 680s, regardless of whether the phone is on or not. I still think it is not much to worry about however. From the sounds of it, your 680 is performing beautifully.
    Hi,

2 nights ago I let my Treo fully discharge till blank screen. I fully recharged it the whole night and for the first time I got 99% after first unplug and ~1% drain per hour which is normal (according to DIG)

Last night, after 2 days of full use and an amazing remaining 30% to spend, I plugged the phone to recharge. In the morning I got the usual 96% after unplugging.

So my question is: How many times should I let the battery fully drain in order to get my Treo re-calibrated?
  11.    #11  
    Hi xpan.

The drop from 99% immediately after unplugging is not about battery meter calibration. It is a separate issue, basically seems to be a bug where the 680 does not trickle charge to maintain 99%, but instead seems to hit 100, then it simply starts to drain (at an accelerated rate it seems). The longer you leave it on the charger, the lower it gets

So, you dont need to do the drain/charge routine again. You just need to take the treo off the charger as soon as the light goes green, OR, take it off, then plug it back in again to top it up if you are worried about that 3 or 4%. These days with the battery lasting so well, I normally dont worry about that little drop. (see point 4 in the first post).
    You left out the biggest tip of all.. If you want to achieve the highest battery lifetime on your 680, do the following:

1. Stop all background apps, including email, IM, helper programs such as Butler, etc. Easy way to make sure: Hard reset and never use Versamail.

2. Never turn the 680 on.

Those two will definately make your battery life rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    Hi xpan.

The drop from 99% immediately after unplugging is not about battery meter calibration. It is a separate issue, basically seems to be a bug where the 680 does not trickle charge to maintain 99%, but instead seems to hit 100, then it simply starts to drain (at an accelerated rate it seems). The longer you leave it on the charger, the lower it gets

So, you dont need to do the drain/charge routine again. You just need to take the treo off the charger as soon as the light goes green, OR, take it off, then plug it back in again to top it up if you are worried about that 3 or 4%. These days with the battery lasting so well, I normally dont worry about that little drop. (see point 4 in the first post).
    We've been all through this, it simply begins to discharge at a normal rate. LiIon are supposed to be charged this way, not left on a trickle charge. You knew that already, why keep this meme going?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    We've been all through this, it simply begins to discharge at a normal rate. LiIon are supposed to be charged this way, not left on a trickle charge. You knew that already, why keep this meme going?
    Despite your great certainty in your explanation, I'm not convinced. It does not discharge at a normal rate (at least mine doesnt - it discharges significantly faster - and I have posted that before too, so I am not sure why you keep this meme going ). I am also not so sure that this is common to all LiIon battery driven devices. Have you heard anyone say it happens with other TREOs or other phones?

I also dont think there is much to gain from answering someone's question by a virtual roll of the eyes and stamp of the feet while saying "We've been all through this." There are thousands of posts here, and few people have time to go back and read through them all to see what has been covered. Xpan joined in May 07, so it is unlikely that xpan would have read over all the earlier posts. It is just as easy to explain something again as it is to dismiss someone for not having followed the history at Treocentral.
    DIG, do you just miss all the battery controversy?? I think you're experiencing withdrawel again...
    Have you heard anyone say it happens with other TREOs or other phones?
    No, this did not happen to my Treo 650.

It is very strange though. I usually plug my device at 23:30. At 8:00 I unplug and turn on my device using datebk button to see my daily events at Datebk. I use shsh status plugin which shows 96%.

If I plug at 23:30, most probably at 03:00am the device must have been fully charged. I can't believe that having it plugged for another 5 hours the battery drop is about 4-5%...

I've done the drain and full charge 2 times only, and after the 2nd time, it has helped me reach 99% after full charge.

However, like DIG has said before, the 680 is STILL going to give you less than 99% if you keep the charger on for too long.

That doesn't mean you can NEVER reach 99% after full charge like what happened to me before the drain and charge. Now everything is fine, except I have to remember to charge it back up to 99% in the morning, after I charge it overnite (which makes it drop to under 99%).

I think your fine, just remember to pull off the charger in the morning, replug it in, and take it off the charger soon as it turns GREEN.
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling View Post
    I've done the drain and full charge 2 times only, and after the 2nd time, it has helped me reach 99% after full charge.

However, like DIG has said before, the 680 is STILL going to give you less than 99% if you keep the charger on for too long.

That doesn't mean you can NEVER reach 99% after full charge like what happened to me before the drain and charge. Now everything is fine, except I have to remember to charge it back up to 99% in the morning, after I charge it overnite (which makes it drop to under 99%).

I think your fine, just remember to pull off the charger in the morning, replug it in, and take it off the charger soon as it turns GREEN.
    This is what I am doing since day 1.

I have one more question:

Is this a firmware or a hardware issue? Can it ever be fixed with a firmware update?
    Despite your great certainty in your explanation, I'm not convinced. It does not discharge at a normal rate (at least mine doesnt - it discharges significantly faster - and I have posted that before too, so I am not sure why you keep this meme going ). I am also not so sure that this is common to all LiIon battery driven devices. Have you heard anyone say it happens with other TREOs or other phones?

I also dont think there is much to gain from answering someone's question by a virtual roll of the eyes and stamp of the feet while saying "We've been all through this." There are thousands of posts here, and few people have time to go back and read through them all to see what has been covered. Xpan joined in May 07, so it is unlikely that xpan would have read over all the earlier posts. It is just as easy to explain something again as it is to dismiss someone for not having followed the history at Treocentral.
    I've seen my own battery graph graphs, when I ran it... I don't run it typically as it itself causes more delays turning on, off, and very likely more battery usage.

Anywho, I've seen on my own that when the battery stops charging the graph starts dropping and it continues at the same rate even after being unplugged, and is the same or VERY close to the typical discharge rate.

Anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by chenling View Post
    and take it off the charger soon as it turns GREEN.
    Same if it's plugged in or not...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast