Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    When I got home, the meter showed the battery at about 20%. I set pTunes to stream an Internet Radio station and set it to keep the display on. When I came back 1.5 hours later, the meter showed 0%. I then read DIG's suggestion and started playing Bejewelled. The Treo was still going strong after 1.5 hours, so I then decided to play Bejewelled with pTunes streaming (there was a noticeable lag in Bejewelled, which I considered a good sign for draining the battery.) After about another 1.5 hours the battery was finally drained to the point where the Treo initiated a shutdown.

Charging the battery now.

-lebedev
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    This morning when I woke up my 680 to check email the battery icon had the red graph way down so I checked and had 19% left connected to AT&T to get emails downloaded 12 opened & read, battery was down to 0% but kept going for another 1/2 hour I did recieve the low battery warning pop up. 680 is 10mos old.original battery
    When we last left our hero he had been playing Bejewelled for 3 hours and listening to Secret Agent Radio (the soundtrack for your stylish, mysterious, dangerous life.) After his trusty robotic sidekick, Treo, shut itself off due to a fully discharged battery, our hero initiated Treo re-charging procedures and went to bed feeling all was right with the world and his Treo.

Lebedev's Treo battery adventures continue...

When I woke up I saw that the display was on and there was a message asking if I wanted to turn the radio on. I turned the radio on, and the Treo put Bejeweled on and pTunes started playing the Internet Radio station I was using the night before in order to drain the battery. Battery Meter showed 99%. I checked my backup log and saw that the Treo's backup occurred at 5am (about 3.5 hours after the self-shutdown).

After about an hour the battery meter was down to 89%. I didn't make any phone calls, the display was off, and bluetooth was off.

I guess I have a few questions.

1a. Should the Treo have turned itself back on during the re-charge, or should I have had to done a reset if everything went normally? 1b. Should backups (and other timed tasks) be disabled so that they don't interfere with the recharge?

2. Is it possible that I need to do a full discharge and recharge more than once to calibrate the meter?

3. This is an ebay bought battery. Is it possible/likely that the problem is with the battery and not the treo?

Thanks,
    -lebedev
  4.    #44  
    Hi lebedev
    The fact that your battery took so long to die after reaching 0% tells you that the meter wasnt calibrated, so that was one problem. If you are suffering from TGP (likely), a soft reset will stop it. Also, make sure that IR beam receive is off. Presumably you switched Bejewelled off and internet radio off prior to the hour where it drained to 89%? I dont think you should need to discharge again. Possibly there is something wrong with the battery, but I wouldnt give up on it just yet. Perhaps try a soft reset right now and see how it goes.
    But he was streaming internet radio--which I find to be extremely energy intensive--and 10% for an hour is not that high for streaming applications. Of course if the battery were twice as large, that would come to 5% an hour, which would be tolerable, but with the existing battery 10% is a ballpark figure for me, and I use one of several new batteries.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    But he was streaming internet radio--which I find to be extremely energy intensive--and 10% for an hour is not that high for streaming applications. Of course if the battery were twice as large, that would come to 5% an hour, which would be tolerable, but with the existing battery 10% is a ballpark figure for me, and I use one of several new batteries.
    Yes, I agree - if he was still streaming then it isnt surprising that he was ripping through the battery. That is why I asked him for clarification on that point
    "...Presumably you switched Bejewelled off and internet radio off prior to the hour where it drained to 89%?..."
    Great tip! After 3 days of regular use and not recharging my device I am at 50%. Previously, I would be around 50% at the end of one day. When I let my treo 680 drain, it stayed at 0% for 45 minutes which suggests my battery meter was not calibrated correctly. I also applied the other pieces of advice: turn down screen brightness, turn off beam receive and make sure my IR keyboard was turned off. Since I applied all of those steps at the same time it is difficult to determine which had the greatest effect. But in the end it really does not matter, as I now have a Treo 680 that lasts 3 plus days without charging.
    Quote Originally Posted by tck View Post
    DIG Item 4.
    Dont forget I am the only one who gets about 96%, immediately when unplug from power source, after a full nite charge with phone disconnected from network, BT/IR off, mp3 off, screen off etc off.

DIG, looks like I am the sole person experiencing this issue. I have not read this reported anywhere else.

So I believe the decline after unplugging is independent of whether it is running as a PDA only or a smartphone.
    No, your not the only one. I've the same issue as you.
  9.    #49  
    I am a bit puzzled. Isnt this what I described in Item 4? This is quite common if not standard with 680s. They drop below 100% (down to as low as 90%) immediately after unplugging.
    I am sorry it has taken me so long to report back, I haven't had the time to continue working on my battery issue since my last post.

Anyway, my first attempt to re-calibrate the battery meter didn't work. The meter would decrease at a rate of about 7% per hour with zero to light usage (radio on, no phone calls, no ptunes or bejewelled.) With phone usage, the meter would drop faster. Generally the meter would go from 100% to around 20% in about 12 hours (2400mAh battery.) Regardless of usage, the meter would eventually get down to 5% and stay there indefinitely.

I didn't have a chance to try another recalibration until recently:

I forgot to charge the phone on Thursday night, and on Friday the phone was still at 5%. I decided to just use the phone normally and not recharge it to see how long it lasted. The phone stayed at 5% until Sunday at around 3pm, at which point I saw it was at 4%. After about half an hour it went to 0% (radio on, no phone calls, no games, etc). It stayed at 0% until about 5:30pm at which point I saw the phone initiate the shutdown procedure. I wasn't able to get to a charger until about 11:30pm. At around 8:30am the next morning (Monday), I reset the phone. Phone showed 99%.

After checking voicemail, and emails, I noticed that the phone now showed 89%. After about an hour the phone was down to about 80%. I talked on the phone for about 1 hour total throughout the day, and otherwise didn't really use it much. By the time I got home (9:00pm, 12.5 hours after taking it off the charger and resetting) it was down to 0%.

I did not charge the phone Monday night. It is now about 12pm Tuesday, and the phone still shows 0%. I guess I will try another calibration to see what happens. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I should do to calibrate the phone with this battery?

For what it is worth, I have had a 1200mAh battery in the phone, and the meter seems to reflect the correct state of that battery (within 10-15 minutes of reaching 0% the phone initiates a shutdown.)

Thanks,

-levedev
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123