Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I dont know the answer to that, but it may be a hardware issue. If you listen to Khaytsus, he would have you believe it is not an issue at all (even though people dont seem to think it happens to other TREOs...).
    DIG - may I check with you:

1. If I continue to charge the battery after it's full, will it hurt the battery life over time? I seem to encounter this problem with my laptop. The battery gets worse if I frequently overcharge it - don't know if it'll be the same with Treo batteries.

2. After all those steps you provided, would I be able to make live through the day with 2+ hr phone call per day? You see, I am still agonizing whether or not to get T680 - battery life would be critical since I sometimes have to make long calls.
  3.    #23  
    Hi Dolphin
    1. I dont think so, pretty sure it wont because the charger stops charging, but I am not a battery tech, so I cant say for sure.

2. It depends alot on what else you are using it for, and how much time it is actively used, but I think 2hr phone calls should theoretically use 50% of your battery charge, and if you are a moderate user, the other 50% should last the rest of the day without too much trouble, if you assume your standby drain rate is less than 1%. You should be able to get the standby drain rate to 0.5%
    Many thanks Dig. I appreciate your feedback and tips.

Cheers mate
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I've seen my own battery graph graphs, when I ran it... I don't run it typically as it itself causes more delays turning on, off, and very likely more battery usage.

Anywho, I've seen on my own that when the battery stops charging the graph starts dropping and it continues at the same rate even after being unplugged, and is the same or VERY close to the typical discharge rate.

Anyway...
    I have to correct myself. I checked this a couple of times, intentionally leaving my treo on the charger for several hours, and you are right - when the treo reaches 100%, it does seem to discharge at the normal rate, not an accelerated rate. Apologies for the misinformation.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    [B]Before reading on, this is a compilation of my various tips and tricks to improve performance of the 680.
    If I may, I would like to double check the following:
    For a new battery, you are *not* suggesting that I drain the battery until the phone shuts off then recharge and follow this cycle more than once, correct?
    Regards,

Allan C.
  7.    #27  
    Hi AllanC.
    I AM suggesting that you do it, just NOT more than once in the first instance. You can and should do it every now and then if you feel that your battery drain is getting worse, because the battery meter can become inaccurate.
    DIG
    Hi AllanC.
    I AM suggesting that you do it, just NOT more than once in the first instance. You can and should do it every now and then if you feel that your battery drain is getting worse, because the battery meter can become inaccurate.
    DIG
    Battery University is suggesting every 30 recharges for the *complete* drain.
    Do you tend to agree?
    Also (and please remember that I only have my 680 for a short time) - if I turn the phone portion off by depressing and holding the red power off button and then the display off by depressing (but not holding) the button again should there be any drain at all?
    In other words, if I follow the above procedure, should the battery stay at the same percentage after let's say overnight?
    TIA
    Regards,

Allan C.
  9.    #29  
    I think that Battery University provides a ball park estimate. I only do allow a full drain when I notice that the drain rate seems to be changing noticably. Last time I did it, (a couple of months back), the meter had drifted a little, and recalibrating improved it. I think once every couple of months oughta do it, but monthly wouldnt really hurt. Some people who use the 680 heavily probably do it almost every day...(like mdavis).

Turning the phone radio and the display off reduces the drain rate substantially, but not completely. The treo remains active at a low level because it is still a PDA in that mode, and for example, it can still alert you to alarms etc. I havent tested it but from reports from others, you should probably only see 1 or 2% drop overnight in that state (versus roughly 4 or 5% overnight with phone radio on).
    II havent tested it but from reports from others, you should probably only see 1 or 2% drop overnight in that state (versus roughly 4 or 5% overnight with phone radio on).
    The good news is that my phone remained at 84% after 6 hours on standby.

Actually, the phone is on standby while I am at the office. I use a landline and Outlook during that time and sync with the Treo before I go on the road. Also, I use it personally at night if I am out of the house.
    Yesterday, for example, the Treo was fully charged in the morning and at 84% at 11 pm.
    Based upon the above pattern would you charge the Treo every night or only if it is discharged to a certain percentage?
    If I understood the article at Battery University correctly, I think that they were suggesting that a charge of 40% remaining was optimum in terms of number of charges before LION type batteries needed to be replaced.
    By the way - I will be investing in a car charger.
    Thank you for your input.
    Regards,

Allan C.
  11.    #31  
    It sounds like you could go at least a couple of days without recharging. I usually go 4-5 days, and by the 5th day I am at about 20%. There may be an optimal way to get the most life out of the battery (ie. recharging at 40%), but I am not sure how much of a difference it makes in reality, and batteries are cheap, so I am more concerned about convenience. I like the fact that I dont have to recharge every day and can take the treo away for a weekend without needing to worry about charging.

It sounds like yours is draining at about 1-2% per hour on standby. I think you can probably improve on this. I think the most likely problem you might still have is The Glen Phenomenon. It struck me today, the treo started draining much faster, but I caught it early. Gotta hang up on those callers before they hang up on you. (Could make a song out of that...)
    It sounds like yours is draining at about 1-2% per hour on standby. I think you can probably improve on this. I think the most likely problem you might still have is The Glen Phenomenon. It struck me today, the treo started draining much faster, but I caught it early. Gotta hang up on those callers before they hang up on you. (Could make a song out of that...)
    I think I might have missed something in my explanation.
    Yesterday, I was on the road for several hours.
    Therefore, the radio was on.
    During that time I also used the phone for about 5 minutes.
    In addition, I used the PDA functions for about 10 minutes.

I have not loaded any additional software on the unit yet and am using the built in battery icon to test the status.
    I will leave the screen off and the phone on for most of the day and post the results.
    Regards,

Allan C.
    [QUOTE=DIG;1290760It sounds like yours is draining at about 1-2% per hour on standby. I think you can probably improve on this. I think the most likely problem you might still have is The Glen Phenomenon. It struck me today, the treo started draining much faster, but I caught it early. Gotta hang up on those callers before they hang up on you. (Could make a song out of that...)[/QUOTE]
    The phone sat on my desk for 3 hours and the battery level went from 82 to 80%. This is with the phone *on* and the display *off*. The phone did not ring during that time and no reminders appeared.
    Regards,

Allan C.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by allanc View Post
    The phone sat on my desk for 3 hours and the battery level went from 82 to 80%. This is with the phone *on* and the display *off*. The phone did not ring during that time and no reminders appeared.
    OK, that is pretty fine then. All is well with your treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by tck View Post
    DIG Item 4.
    Dont forget I am the only one who gets about 96%, immediately when unplug from power source, after a full nite charge with phone disconnected from network, BT/IR off, mp3 off, screen off etc off.

DIG, looks like I am the sole person experiencing this issue. I have not read this reported anywhere else.

So I believe the decline after unplugging is independent of whether it is running as a PDA only or a smartphone.
    I did a batter out reset and after, that my Treo 680 shown 90% immediately after removing the power cord. So you aren't the only one I cant remember if this was showing 99% before I looked at this post.

After this, I put ptunes to play internet radio and got the battery down to a point where the screen wouldnt turn on and then charged to 100%. When I pull the power cord at 100%, it showed 94% instead of the original 90%

I kept doing battery resets at the 94% level about 4-5 times and now my treo shows 99% after immediately pulling out the power cords Gotta check today if battery levels after charging are lasting longer than before.
    All that Jazz
    I bought the Seidio 1600mAh battery and life w/ my 680 is good now. No more "battery dance" of wondering whether it will make it through a busy day. Charging overnight is simple, but w/ the 1200 mAh battery, even doing all the stuff recommended in this post, I would sometimes get down to that last 10% (and getting Battery Low warnings) by 5 or 6pm. No more.
    DIG, whatever you did, just want to tell you that it's greatly appreciated by me. I was experiencing erratic battery behaviour, but after following your suggestion of re-calibrating, my 680 nows doesn't seem to want to discharge!

For example, I used to experience a 96% charge after leaving the phone in the cradle to charge overnight. Now it registers 99% the moment I unplug.

Another example, my phone will drain to about 50% by mid-day, now, it registers a 94% by evening!

Thanks a bunch DIG.
  18.    #38  
    Good stuff audiman - thanks for the feedback. I dont visit here that much any more but was pleased to see that my top four tips thread is still helping some people. 94% by evening is about what I would expect, starting from 99% in the morning, assuming you didnt use it much. With minimal use, you should get about 10 days. Of course, this performance will change dramatically depending on how much use it gets.
    I have a new 2400mAh battery which goes from 100% to 10% in a day with minimal use. I want to see if the problem is the meter, so, before bedtime I am am going to drain it down until it turns itself off and charge it overnight. However, with a 2400mAh I have visions of spending hours at 0% waiting for the Treo to finally turn itself off.

Anyone have any tips on quickly draining the battery down to 0%?

Thanks,

-lebedev
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by lebedev View Post
    I have a new 2400mAh battery which goes from 100% to 10% in a day with minimal use. I want to see if the problem is the meter, so, before bedtime I am am going to drain it down until it turns itself off and charge it overnight. However, with a 2400mAh I have visions of spending hours at 0% waiting for the Treo to finally turn itself off.

Anyone have any tips on quickly draining the battery down to 0%?

Thanks,

-lebedev
    One trick is to play bejewelled with screen brightness on full - that drains it pretty fast. Switch on IR, BT, pTunes and/or make a long phone call will all drain battery fast. There is also some software called BatteryTIME that you can use to drain the battery quite quickly, but it isnt really necessary. You may be right - it could potentially stay at 0% for hours. Please post your findings. THe other thing you might have to watch out for is the glen phenomenon, which may be part of your problem.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast