1.    #1  
    About a month ago, I set up a thread to ask the question about what else (apart from the old camera problem) triggers the faster than normal battery drain. ie. a drain rate of 2-3% per hour, that required a soft reset to bring it back down to <0.5% (my typical standby drain rate). http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=135642

Lots of interesting observations and comments, pointing to some issues with software etc came in, but nothing that seemed to explain the problem I had observed with my TREO (and therefore difficult for me to test). Thanks to everyone for posting their observations.

Then, along came Glen, who reported what I now refer to as TGP (The Glen Phenomenon), that basically relates to GSM usage triggering (and also fixing, strangely enough) the higher battery drain rate. A link to his original post is here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=135642&page=5

Anyway, I started to test what variables might explain this strange phenomenon, and at least in my case, I think I have identified a pattern/trigger, having tested this several times. Note, my observations are very similar, but not identical to Glen's. Check out his posts to see what he has observed.

My findings with The Glen Phenomenon
    My standby battery drain rate is normally <0.5% per hour.

If I receive (answer) a call, and allow the caller to hang up, doing nothing at my end, my standby battery drain rate increases to 2-3% per hour and stays that way, which obviously makes a big difference over a day. This happened 6/7 times that I tested it over the last few days.

In contrast, if I receive a call, and I hang up at my end, this has no negative impact on my standby drain rate. This was tested at least 5 times.

This problem can be corrected simply by receiving another call. (I did it by calling my TREO from my landline, letting it ring at least once, and hanging up, not even touching the TREO). This worked every time, restoring the standby drain rate to <0.5% per hour. Presumably (I havent tested it) the other way to correct the problem is with a soft reset. I have a tightfitting seidio case and it is a hassle to soft reset now.

I have not seen this happen after receiving an SMS or other GSM usage (yet), but I cant rule it out. Glen has seen this I think.

I have not tested this enough to be sure it happens every time, (and that isnt really important) but i am pretty sure that it is a strong pattern that is likely to repeat.

So, what does this mean???
    Obviously it is a bug with my 680 (and also with Glen's, and possibly everyone's 680s!!!) that is seriously affecting battery drain. I would not be surprised if this is a primary reason why some people have much worse performance than others.

What to do now?
    Based on my observations, I will now make sure to hang up at my end after a call - this should hopefully avoid the problem for the time being. I normally do this anyway, which is possibly why I have rarely seen this problem before. If I notice that it has happened, I will just call my 680 from another phone, let it ring once, and that should fix it.

This should take care of the problem until PALM issues a fix!!. It is quite reminiscent of the camera problem - people got used to not using the camera, PALM paid attention (eventually) and now it is fixed. Hopefully, this too will pass! So, if you also observe this problem (or not), please make sure you post your experience here.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Several other things that cause significant battery drain...
    1: Bluetooth networking. I use a Bluetooth access point at home, and the Treo connects to it to browse the web fast and sync. But the battery drops quickly while I am connected.
    2: Any kind of major GPRS data movement. Downloading a big (few megs) file, streaming audio via Pocket Tunes/Shoutcast, etc will drain the battery fairly quickly
    3: Exchange Active Sync *deliver items as they arrive* This seems to use alot of battery, but I am not sure yet since my own personal battery drain may have had to do with the camera app deal and my hard reset over the weekend.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    Several other things that cause significant battery drain...
    1: Bluetooth networking. I use a Bluetooth access point at home, and the Treo connects to it to browse the web fast and sync. But the battery drops quickly while I am connected.
    2: Any kind of major GPRS data movement. Downloading a big (few megs) file, streaming audio via Pocket Tunes/Shoutcast, etc will drain the battery fairly quickly
    3: Exchange Active Sync *deliver items as they arrive* This seems to use alot of battery, but I am not sure yet since my own personal battery drain may have had to do with the camera app deal and my hard reset over the weekend.

#3 is a PIG! I have switched my synching to every 30 minutes and I can get 2 days out of my 680. If I set the Active Sync to "Deliver items as they arrive" I can get 6-8 hours before no power. Battery graph shows that under those conditions, the phone never goes to sleep.

I'll look out for TGP.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    Yesterday my husband was messing with his Treo 650 and put some new ringtones on it. He tried sending something to my Treo 680 and I wasn't even aware he was doing it. My 680 battery had been at around 80%. When I picked up my Treo to check something on it, the battery was down to 10% and there was a message saying something about the network connection being interrupted while attempting to upload something. The same thing happened a couple of weeks ago when my husband tried to send me a picture he'd taken at work. I told him not to be sending me anymore pics or any kind of media files because it was killing my battery.
    See thread here also (more validation):
    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,42612.330.html
    DIG,

Thanks for the detailed and highly scientific analysis. You lay out the issues and solutions cleanly.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks Bradh and tastypeppers!
    The parallels with the other thread you pointed out are clear. They dont call it the glen phenomenon, but the observations are very similar. Furthermore, I have also noticed the 'white noise' coming from the 680 at times of high battery drain. I think it actually comes from the back speaker, and it happens when buttons (real or screen buttons) are pressed. I noticed it one night when playing bejewelled. Once noticed, it was very obvious, and a soft reset fixed it, as well as the drain. I think if this really is a general problem with the 680, it will explain much of the inconsistency with different folks experience with battery life.
    Something interesting today. I had installed the battery.prc app recently (aka Treo Battery). Mine is version 3.2. My battery was showing a capacity of 1314 mAh (so 100% charge would mean it had matched this capacity) recently.

While playing with a game called Open Chess (freeware, open source), I got a hard freeze. After I pulled the battery to reset, I went into battery.prc about 5 minutes later and noticed that my capacity was now showing as 1188 mAh. Weird, thought me. I hooked up my charge/sync cable, and the unit was charging, and the charge was showing as >1250 mAh, even though the capacity still said 1188, and the % Charged indicator at the top right stayed at 99.99% until the charge hit 1314.831 mAh, at which point the LED turned green and the charge showed 100%.

So I did a software reset (using ZLauncher), and when the device rebooted to the Phone app (it doesn't go to Date/Time prefs like it would if you had done a battery removal reset), I went back into battery.prc and lo and behold my capacity once again showed as 1314 mAh.

I had "assumed" that the % Charge (visible in the Phone app or anywhere else for that matter) was using this 'capacity' value that I see in battery.prc. But that doesn't appear to be the case.
    Fascinating... suddenly after much usage my battery usage went to the toilet (after installing mundu but I could not reprouce that fact...)
    BUT MY BROTHER, while in Europe, using my T680 with BT on all the time is reporting about 80/70% battery at the end of a 12hr day... ???? (I'd be lucky at 75% or the last days I was down to 30% 9hrs later... =/)

Is it the extensive GSM network?

Here at home my phone is constantly *buzzing* or causing that 'speaker' interference but I am in shock with what my brother is telling me about the T680.

But he will details me his usage, etc when he returns...

THANKS for a GREAT job and investigation... I will keep this in mind when he returns with my phone...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    ... Presumably (I havent tested it) the other way to correct the problem is with a soft reset. I have a tightfitting seidio case and it is a hassle to soft reset now.
    It's not a hassle if you install resetme.

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-449.html?ResetMe
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    It's not a hassle if you install resetme.

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-449.html?ResetMe
    Thanks md
    Since that post, I downloaded 'softreset' which I think is pretty similar to resetme...? I have actually experienced a couple of freezes in the last week - not sure why - almost never happened before, but I have installed a fair bit of software so there maybe a problem due to incompatibility, but have had to remove the case to pull the battery. Presumably there is still no other way to soft reset after a freeze with the 680?
    Had my 680 for 5 months and the Camera Patch has helped significantly - BUT - I still experience abnormally high battery drain whilst the phone is muted. ie. When the Mute switch is ON. Have consistently noticed this whilst in long meetings with no activity on the phone in mute mode. Now avoid using mute mode and instead switch the radio off.

Have heard of other similar reports on the forums. Seems quite odd that battery drain would significantly increase whilst the device in in Muted Mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    ... Presumably there is still no other way to soft reset after a freeze with the 680?
    No, there isn't. Freezes are frustrating; Palm, in just one more design triumph, made it impossible to deal with them. The 650 was far superior, once again, if you overcame still another design puzzle by installing the Seidio replacement back with the hole for resetting. It was such a perverse pleasure being able to respond to the continual freezes and crashes by just flipping the set around and resetting through whatever case you had pierced just for that purpose. I always felt like I was in a war with Palm's engineers who just weren't quite up to the task of defeating my ability to eke out some functionality out of the 650. It was a stalemate. With the 680, though, I guess they've shown some mettle.
    BTW, I noticed my battery life seemed to be going downhill, so I let my Treo completely die last night and did the battery-out reset trick (no shenanigans with the SIM card, just battery out, plug in, wait, battery in) and today it's running nicely again.

Perhaps my lunchtime top-off was throwing it. Shouldn't, but so far battery calibration doesn't seem to be a strong point for the 680.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    BTW, I noticed my battery life seemed to be going downhill, so I let my Treo completely die last night and did the battery-out reset trick (no shenanigans with the SIM card, just battery out, plug in, wait, battery in) and today it's running nicely again.

Perhaps my lunchtime top-off was throwing it. Shouldn't, but so far battery calibration doesn't seem to be a strong point for the 680.
    agreed - the calibration seems to be a key problem and it may drift with time. However, mine has been fine since I calibrated it a few months ago - I check every now and then by letting it run down, but it always dies soon after hitting 0%, so it is still reading the battery correctly. I wonder if using more than 1 battery is a problem for the 680 battery meter calibration - I imagine it would be. I only have 1 battery.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I wonder if this power drain issue is addressed with the new software update?

I guess we'll have to wait until the update is available for the unlocked models...
    I've noticed that if BT is ON at reset, this results in TGP. Only way to get back to normal is to switch off BT and reset. Anybody else notice this? This is on a Centro BTW.

Maybe this is why many don't see the heavy battery drain. They simply don't use BT.

I was to write a small utility to analyze/ fix this battery drain problem when I ran into this behaviour.

- mvk
    Game over!
    Maybe centro-specific, but I always had bluetooth on my 680.