1.    #1  
    I just got a new 680. I immediately noticed that a lot of things were just a little slower. For example, going through apps in the home menu using the 5-way lagged a little, as did simple things like going through items in a menu. It's just a small amount, but noticeable. You press up in a menu and a fraction after the highlight moves (which itself happens a little slower) you hear the system sound. This was all instantaneous on the 650.

Speedy says the 680 is up to speed. However, palminternals shows something different. After a warm reset on the 650, palminternals shows nothing hooked into the system and a speed test result of 111 ticks and 2 secs. Straight after a hard reset on the 680 it shows 261 ticks and 3 secs, a large increase. With Butler and a few other things on the 650, it goes to 396 and 4 secs. But with just Butler added on the 680 it goes to 814 and 8 secs! Since palminternals simulates button pushes, it kind of backs up the subjective slowness when I'm buttoning around the interface.

Am I seeing normal 680 behaviour? I was expecting it to be a little quicker, not slower!

Thanks for any input.
    It is slightly more sluggish compared to the 650 I agree
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  3.    #3  
    It's weird - given the specs it shouldn't be any different should it?
    Since you're adept with Palm Internals, you tell us.

Hint: There's more stuff doing on in events.
    Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    Yes, I can feel the same sluggish of the 5-way navigations. It is noticable in the built-in Launcher and very noticable in the Preferences.

Even after hard-reset, it's still the same sluggish experience.

It sounds like a patch is required from Palm.
    I was just sent a brand new 680 from Cingular today and the sluggish-ness y'all refer to is the first thing I noticed. Held up my 650 side by side and it's unmistakeable: there's a slight delay when scrolling through apps on the 680. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but when you're coming from a device that has instant responsiveness (650) the delay is annoying. And if it's annoying now (fresh out of the box) I don't think it's going to "grow" on me. Which is unfortunate because I like the 680's form factor. I thought products were supposed to improve with new models? I'm returning my 680 to Cingular tomorrow and keeping my dinged up (but still solid) 650.
    If a little lag is going to make you return it, then have at it..

You might want to compare the dbcache, heap, storage space, and stability first.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftTreo View Post
    I thought products were supposed to improve with new models? I'm returning my 680 to Cingular tomorrow and keeping my dinged up (but still solid) 650.
    Welcome to the Palm world, where there's no upgrade, only sidegrades. Remember T3 -> T5/X? So, the 680 just in the same league ... Sad but true ...