1.    #1  
    Just an FYI for anyone out there who might be wrestling with the same issue I was.

I just picked up a Sony Vaio UX380N UMPC, and was trying to get it to do Bluetooth DUN with my Treo 700p.

I set everything up by the book, could connect fine and set up the DUN connection in Vista. Tried it with and without Shadowmite's hacked PhoneInterfaceLibrary.

One key configuration setting is to make sure you enable ONLY PAP authentication, and have the PC disable encryption. Before that, I was getting Username/Password rejected error messages. After that, I was getting stuck at "Registering your computer on the network" with an eventual "PPP Link Control Protocol Terminated error message". It just wouldn't connect. I tried installing QPST per some instructions on Howard Forums, but I think that's only necessary for the regular VZW phones, to enable EV-DO tethering.

Eventually I gave up and called Verizon to have them add the $15 BroadBand Access Connect (tethering) plan to my account, and it worked perfectly on the first try. Getting about 470kbps down, and 120kbps up.

So I'm finally happy. I wish I could have found a way around paying for the plan, but I don't mind paying $15 (versus the $80 to get a Cingular data plan to use the UX380's built in EDGE transceiver).

Hope this helps anyone else struggling to get DUN working.
    This is a long known fact. Most people use PDANet to do DUN, since the fee from VZW is monthly, and the PDANet software is a onetime. Unless you try to run a server from your laptop and use EXCESSIVE bandwidth, VZW will not really know the difference.

Good luck to you with your new toy.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    This is a long known fact. Most people use PDANet to do DUN, since the fee from VZW is monthly, and the PDANet software is a onetime. Unless you try to run a server from your laptop and use EXCESSIVE bandwidth, VZW will not really know the difference.

Good luck to you with your new toy.
    I saw ridiculous amounts of misinformation then, on this forum and Howard Forums. Every thread I found has a number of people claiming that DUN is working fine with no third party software on either the phone or the laptop.

It would be nice if there was a trustworthy, sticky DUN FAQ with all of the known ways of making it work.

I tried installing the trial of PDANet before adding the BBAC plan, but it requires the hotsync client to be installed, which was a stupid requirement. I'm not going to bother bloating my laptop with something I'll never use to try a piece of third party software that may or may not work well. Oh well. Maybe if the $15 charge gets to me I'll give it a try.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I use usb modem with no 15 fee from verizon and my DUN works fine. Your a fool if you keep paying 15 bucks a month extra.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I use usb modem with no 15 fee from verizon and my DUN works fine. Your a fool if you keep paying 15 bucks a month extra.
    Given how flaky the Treo is with background Apps - you've never had any stability issues related to leaving USB Modem running in background mode?

I might be a fool for being willing to pay a couple bucks for something that just works, but at least I know how to spell "You're"
    I'm not trying to get BT dun working, as I don't have BT on my laptop...but I would very much like to get USB dun working. I tried installing a driver I found from the treo website which stopped the "Found new Hardware" message obtained when in "Modem Link" (VZW 700wx).

Just saw FaFaFooey's post...can someone confirm that PDA net is really a one time fee and VZW won't charge me $15/mo for tethered mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
    I saw ridiculous amounts of misinformation then, on this forum and Howard Forums. Every thread I found has a number of people claiming that DUN is working fine with no third party software on either the phone or the laptop.

It would be nice if there was a trustworthy, sticky DUN FAQ with all of the known ways of making it work.

I tried installing the trial of PDANet before adding the BBAC plan, but it requires the hotsync client to be installed, which was a stupid requirement. I'm not going to bother bloating my laptop with something I'll never use to try a piece of third party software that may or may not work well. Oh well. Maybe if the $15 charge gets to me I'll give it a try.
    Understood. You can remove Hotsync one the PDANet is installed, or disable it. I was just trying to suggest a way to save u some money. I personally would rather have Hotsync and PDANet than Verizon's crap connection manager software, as it interferes with some VPN clients and has other problems.
    Yes, I can confirm that PDAnet works nicely to bypass the recurring Verizon charge. What it effectively does is "dupe" the Verizon network to think that you are simply accessing the internet using Blazer or another Palm-resident browser.

But I also take exception to the "stupid" requirement that the Hotsync manager be installed. Personally, I think its SILLY to have a Palm device and not use Hotsync - if you install Hotsync without installing Palm Desktop (not a requirement) its a pretty skeletal download, in and of itself.
    yeah, it does kinda suck that Hotsync is "Required" to install PDANet, but I guess it is their way to ensure the Palm app gets installed, and not everyone is a genius techy like you. They want to be sure that people are not left wondering how to get the app onto their device.
    Are you speaking of the Palm treo? I'm using a 700wx...does it require activesync to be installed (it is, but just curious)?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Yes, I can confirm that PDAnet works nicely to bypass the recurring Verizon charge. What it effectively does is "dupe" the Verizon network to think that you are simply accessing the internet using Blazer or another Palm-resident browser.

But I also take exception to the "stupid" requirement that the Hotsync manager be installed. Personally, I think its SILLY to have a Palm device and not use Hotsync - if you install Hotsync without installing Palm Desktop (not a requirement) its a pretty skeletal download, in and of itself.
    I use hotsync on my _desktop_. My UMPC is a mobile device, and I want as little crap running on it as possible. Backing up my Palm to my laptop would be pointless.

I'm sure I could get rid of hotsync after the download, but I'd rather not add something (PDANet) running in the background to my laptop and phone if I could avoid it.

USBModem is a little easier to swallow, but I'm leary of upsetting the delicate balance of "works fine" vs "crashes constantly and has all kinds of weird problems" on the Treo

And I'm not using the crap Verizon software - just built in DUN in Vista.

I'll try USBModem and see if it gives me any issues in background mode. I'm still curious, though, how people who claim to have DUN working with no plan, no hacks, and no third-party apps on phone or laptop are doing it.
    I don't have Vista, but if there was a way to set it up in XP without any additional software, that'd be nice...though PDAnet is quite possibly the easiest piece of software I've used, EVER. Install, click "connect" and I'm online on my laptop (and giddy with the newfound abilities )