Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just bought a 700p. It should be here tomorrow or the next day. What do I need to go out and buy to have this unit be as functional as possible? Will it transfer/import things from my Tungsten T5? Thanks for your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by pharada View Post
    I just bought a 700p. It should be here tomorrow or the next day. What do I need to go out and buy to have this unit be as functional as possible? Will it transfer/import things from my Tungsten T5? Thanks for your help!
    You can transfer/import your PIM data, but I wouldn't transfer apps over. You should do a clean install following the instructions from the "clean install" thread in the 650 section.

If you want to be able to listen to music right away or use MP3 ringtones, you will need an SD card right away. What size SD card you need depends on how much music or how many movies you want to carry around...
    I'd look into some egrips (egrips.com)if I were you. They're great. However it may depend on whether you plan to use a case and/or the type of case you use.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I'd get a blue tooth headset too. Holding that bulky thing against your ear can feel weird, especially when it gets hot.

Do not transfer your apps. I bought mine, took it to work and did a sync, taking everything from my tungsten E2. Doing simple things like opening "my treo" caused resets.
    Get SD card
    SD card reader for your computer
    Put on screen protector overlay
    Programs
    Backup program to backup to SD card
    TCMP or Kinoma for movies
    I would suggest you buy either the 2400 or 3200 Seidio battery. You will find it quite nice to be able to have 6+ hours of talk time and days of standby time.

http://store.treocentral.com/content...8-37--1664.htm
    or
    http://store.treocentral.com/content.../8-37--580.htm
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    You can transfer/import your PIM data, but I wouldn't transfer apps over. You should do a clean install following the instructions from the "clean install" thread in the 650 section.

If you want to be able to listen to music right away or use MP3 ringtones, you will need an SD card right away. What size SD card you need depends on how much music or how many movies you want to carry around...
    Thanks so much for your information. I have a question about "SD" cards. Tell me if any of these would work. I have several. Will any of these work?

I have
    a SanDisk Memory StickPro Duo 1.0 Gig 1 1/4 " X 7/8"
    a SanDisk Memory Stick Duo Adaptor
    a SanDisk 256 mb Compact Flash 1 5/8" X 1 1/4"
    a Lexar 1 gb Memory Stick Pro by MagicGate 2" X 3/4"
    a SanDisk 256 mb SD Card 1 1/4" X 7/8"
    a Lexar 256 mb Memory Stick 2" X 3/4"
    2 Lexar 1gb SD Cards 1 1/4" X 7/8"

Thanks for your time!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    I'd look into some egrips (egrips.com)if I were you. They're great. However it may depend on whether you plan to use a case and/or the type of case you use.

Good Luck
    I'll go look and see what an egrip is. Can you tell me whether or not you use a case. If so why, or why not? What does the egrip give you that a case doesn't? Thanks!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    I'd get a blue tooth headset too. Holding that bulky thing against your ear can feel weird, especially when it gets hot.

Do not transfer your apps. I bought mine, took it to work and did a sync, taking everything from my tungsten E2. Doing simple things like opening "my treo" caused resets.
    I have (my third) Motorola Blue Tooth. This one is the H700. Everyone still hates it; say that it sounds like I've got marbles in my mouth. I use it with my Samsung A900. Which Blue tooth do you use and how is it working for you and where did you get it? (price price price)

I'll reinstall all Apps. Thanks!
    The best one I have had so far is the cheapest I have purchased: Blue Ant X3 micro headset. Has a tinny sound; but the volume is good. Ben
  11.    #11  

Ack! I just wrote you a detailed post, but I think I was supposed to click the "Post reply" button.

I have several cards. Please tell me if one of these is "it":

SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo 1 gig (1 3/16" X 3/4")
    SanDisk Memory Stick Duo Adaptor
    2 Lexar SD Cards 1 gig (1 1/4" X 15/16")
    SanDisk 256 mb (1 1/4" X 15/16")
    Lexar Memory Stick 256 MB (2" X 7/8")
    SanDisk 256 mb CompactFlash (1 5/8" X 1 3/8")

Any of these "it"?

Thanks for your help!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The best one I have had so far is the cheapest I have purchased: Blue Ant X3 micro headset. Has a tinny sound; but the volume is good. Ben
    Wireless, I assume. Where did you get it?
  13.    #13  

Ack! I just wrote you a detailed post, but I think I was supposed to click the "Post reply" button.

I have several cards. Please tell me if one of these is "it":

SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo 1 gig (1 3/16" X 3/4")
    SanDisk Memory Stick Duo Adaptor
    Lexar Memory Stick 256 MB (2" X 7/8")
    SanDisk 256 mb CompactFlash (1 5/8" X 1 3/8")

Any of these "it"?

Thanks for your help!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafafoooey View Post
    I would suggest you buy either the 2400 or 3200 Seidio battery. You will find it quite nice to be able to have 6+ hours of talk time and days of standby time.

http://store.treocentral.com/content...8-37--1664.htm
    or
    http://store.treocentral.com/content.../8-37--580.htm
    Did it! Bought the cradle to charge BOTH the phone and an extra battery. Thank you!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo View Post
    Get SD card
    SD card reader for your computer
    Put on screen protector overlay
    Programs
    Backup program to backup to SD card
    TCMP or Kinoma for movies
    Okay, I guess I'll get my SD card question answered somewhere. But what physical size and storage capacity does the Treo P require in its SD cards?

TCMP or Kinoma? Movies????? I get movies? Are you kidding me? So, which do you use? Which is best? Where did you get it?
  16.    #16  
    One other question. Do any of you have keyboards? That's going to be very important tome. I see that ThinkOutside Stowaway has two top models. Is the $129 one so much more wonderful that it makes up for having to double key for numbers? Anybody know?
    Quote Originally Posted by pharada View Post
    I'll go look and see what an egrip is. Can you tell me whether or not you use a case. If so why, or why not? What does the egrip give you that a case doesn't? Thanks!

egrips are placed on the Treo to allow you to grip it properly (rubbery surface.) They have an adhesive backing that are easily removed it needed.

I don't use a case. However if I did, it would probably have to be a loose fitting pouch style so that the treo with egrips can be placed into and remove easily in and out of the case.

Perhaps someone else can comment on the type of case they use with egrips.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I bought one of those Seidio rubberized cases. It's great. It takes away from the look of the Treo, but, also gives it a different look that not many have. The rubbery feeling of the case feels great and I'm not as worried about dropping it, and, the best thing is, it doesn't take up that much more room.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Pharada

Welcome o the wonderful world of Treo! Without further ado, I'd strongly recommend going to Treocentral's store or even better, Seidio online store and look for the Bundled deals. Both stores will sell you something like a starter package that includes pretty much everything you need to get your Treo to the next level (yeah, that was cheezy wasn't it? )

From Treocentral's store, The Smartphone Experts starter Kit is expensive indeed, but it pretty muchs sums up the accesories you may want to have. From those the retractable Sync & charge cable is a great item that has good value and you will find yourself using it quite a bit.

The best thing in the Seidio store is that a few bundles include the extended 2400mAH battery, and that thing is a MUST HAVE. I am looking at their Starter kit and that is a pretty sweet deal. So if you are going to buy an extended battery (and you definitely should!) this bundle is a no-brainer to me.

Any SD card will fit the 700p, in terms of physical size and capacity. It is somewhat recommended to have cards of 1GB or more if you plan to carry around a lot of content, i.e. photos, movies, apps...

On the software side, things you may want to consider:

• Ringtone software to be able to use MP3 files as ringtones. Many options are available, I use mRing but pretty much any other will do.
    • TCPMP is a free software that allows you to watch movies and listen to music. The movie format this thing can handle is much oriented to files from ripped DVD movies that you obviously own and ripped for backup protection (say no to piracy kids!)
    • The 700p comes with a free version of Kinoma player that plays a handful of movies and file formats. The extended version (Kinoma 4EX) can play much more and better yet, can actually play Youtube-type videos directly online or stored in memory.
    • If you don't have a standalone MP3 player (iPod anyone?) You may want to consider upgrading Pocket Tunes that comes free in the phone to the Deluxe version. This allows you to play MP3s from subscription-based websites (i.e. Rhapsody) and in escence, makes your Treo a fully functional MP3 player. If you buy a 4GB SD card that makes your Treo almost an iPod nano contender
    • The phone comes with a handful of free software in the included CD. I'd recommend installing Bejeweled, Solitaire and Palm Files.
    • If you plan to use your phone to check email, a free option is Versamail. It comes pre-installed in the Treo (Sprint) or in the included CD (Verizon). If you are serious about email (say, push email) maybe Chatteremail is a good alternative :P
    • INSTALL GOOGLE MAPS for the Palm OS! period. Well, only install it if you have a data plan. Otherwise... go get a data plan

All this should get you going for now.
    Ok, since no one's answering....

Those are the ones that'll work in your Treo.

For the ringtones, if you want, you can upload AAC via an uploader (I use the one at www.sprintusers.com). This way, you can make your own with your own music. Of course, it's a bit more work than using RingoPro, but, it's also a lot less expensive.

As for an extended battery (I think you bought one already, but, either way), I've never used one and I don't feel like I'll need to buy one. I charge it every night, although, recently, I've forgotten to. I haven't been able to talk as much on it, since I'm working more, but, I also have an car charger to help out when I'm away from home. Again, I saved money and I'm doing just fine.

This savings of money has helped me to purchase software. In my opinion, I would purchase needed software before games. For instance, I tried out Chatter and really liked it, but, I kind of didn't have the cash at that time. Boy, was I mad everytime I went to games and saw Villiage Sim and a few other somewhat expensive games that I really don't play.

I've decided to skip Chatter, though. I really don't need 24/7 notification and access to treocentral forum updates. If I had a job that required me to answer an email rather quickly, that would be my choice of software.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast