1.    #1  
    Hi,

I am curious - what is the correct way to setup your phone and contacts so that long distance dialing is handled painlessly.

For example: I recieve a call (long distance) I miss it but want to call it back from my call log - there is no 1 prefix... call fails.

I have been loading all my contacts with +1 prefix and for those in the db things work well locally and when travelling

I looked at the phone prefs hoping to find add a "+1" prefix but it only offers "1" prefix which if you use screws up local calls with 'long distance dialing does not apply'

There has to be a better way to handle local & long distance dialing...

Cheers

Mark
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Turning money into noise and the occasional gadget
    Do you mean international calls?

If it's just domestic long distance you don't need a 1 preceding the area code like a landline. I don't dial a 1 when calling long distance from my Sprint 700P.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Have you looked at TakePhone? www.shsh.com. Ben
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Do you mean international calls?

If it's just domestic long distance you don't need a 1 preceding the area code like a landline. I don't dial a 1 when calling long distance from my Sprint 700P.
    Let's keep it simple - North American dialing and predominately Canada. I was lead to understand that the +1 prefix was handy as it is ignored on local calls (the + achieves this) and provides the full string required on long distance calls.

You say a 1 is not req'd for long distance with Sprint - that's interesting and I wonder if that is a Sprint specific feature....

I just tried an LD call without a 1 prefix and it wouldn't handle the call.

It seems to me if the palm dialing prefs had the option for '+1' vs the current '1' then you'd be all set - load your numbers without any prefix & the prefs would add it and therefore returning calls from your call log would work for both local and long distance.

I am off to look at takephone...

Mark
    Last edited by Coolspode; 03/08/2007 at 05:54 PM. Reason: typo
    I think its a Rogers thing. Verizon also does not require the +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    I think its a Rogers thing. Verizon also does not require the +1
    My Sprint Treo 650 and 700P only required that I have the area code and telephone number. . . . . . . no 1 was required for dialing.
    Sprint does NOT require the 1, but there is a setting under the Phone app called 'Dial Preferences'. Go there and make sure you have 'Dialing from North America' checked. I dont have any other boxes checked and I dial all over (even 800 #'s) without any problems.
  8.    #8  
    To all,

I have always had the NA Dialing selected and my phone is on Bell vs Rogers but I would have expect them both to handle calls in a similar fashion - I could be wrong on this .. :-)

I need to check with a buddy in the Canadian telecom business and get to the bottom of this +1 thing - I'll post my findings....

Cheers

Mark