Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have been following threads regarding formatting SD cards. I am really confused.

I got a 2gb card very inexpensively, and replaced my 1gb card with it. Before I continue, I must say that I never had any problems with the 1 gb card. I formatted the new 2gb card with my Treo, and everything seems to be ok, except, I cannot download anything to the card. I get an error every time I try to save anything to the card. Also, one of my Bible files for Bible Reader (Olive Tree Software) is about 5 mb and it is painfully slow when using it off the 2gb card.

I'm not sure why I cannot download to the card. Is it because I need to remove it and format it on a pc? If I do this, what would be the optimal formatting command to maximize space and/or maximize speed?

Thanks!

Photios
    Slide the "Lock" switch on the side to unlocked.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I have a cheap-o 2GB card (Kingston) that was exceedingly slow until I formatted it on my PC. (I'd first simply formatted it on the Palm and assumed that doing so was sufficient).

Once I formatted the card on my PC, however, it was like a new card: suddenly everything was snappier, and deleting applications/hotsyncing files to the card--which used to take a loooong time--was near-instantaneous. It made a huge difference.

There are some threads, either in this forum or in "Treo General Chat", that detail how to properly format your card via PC.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Slide the "Lock" switch on the side to unlocked.
    The card is definitely unlocked!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no_basho View Post
    I have a cheap-o 2GB card (Kingston) that was exceedingly slow until I formatted it on my PC. (I'd first simply formatted it on the Palm and assumed that doing so was sufficient).

Once I formatted the card on my PC, however, it was like a new card: suddenly everything was snappier, and deleting applications/hotsyncing files to the card--which used to take a loooong time--was near-instantaneous. It made a huge difference.

There are some threads, either in this forum or in "Treo General Chat", that detail how to properly format your card via PC.
    I read these threads. They were about formatting 4 and 8 gb cards. I'm wondering what to do about a 2gb card...
    Quote Originally Posted by photios View Post
    I read these threads. They were about formatting 4 and 8 gb cards. I'm wondering what to do about a 2gb card...
    It wouldn't hurt it to try the same formatting procedure. They are only talking about the 4gb and 8gb cards in those threads because the threads are about hacks to use higher capacity cards. It doesn't mean the format wouldn't work on lower capacity cards...
    Sorry to hear it wasn't the unlock. That happens to a lot of people with SD cards.

I got a cheaper 2GB SD off of buy.com and this is what I did to speed it up.

1. Put the SD card on your PC using a card reader or USB adapter
    2. Go to a command prompt (Start -> Run -> Cmd)
    3. At the command prompt type format X: /fs:FAT /a:32K

NOTE: X is the driver letter of your SD card

This does a full format (not quick) to FAT16 with 32k clusters. This seems to be the best options for a 2GB SD card.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    second what stroths said. I just bought a new 2GB card for this 680 because the old one -- a highly reputed Sandisk -- was ridiculously slow, for some reason especially when it came to deleting files. after various attempts, I concluded that FAT just works better (though I don't know what cluster size I'm using, I just used the default).