1.    #1  
    This is my first Treo 680, actually my first Treo. It seems that I have to reset it everyother day sometimes every day. A soft reset, or I just launch pass thru, whatever the heck that is. After I do that everything works. Is this normal? I do have 3 rd party software on my Treo. I do like the unit, and am not too annoyed by the resetting as long as this is normal. Can someone please educate me?
    You are resetting it or it is resetting itself? Have you loaded any apps on it or is this right out of the box? Why are you having to reset? No one will be able to help you if you don't provide more information about what you are doing with the 680 when it resets...

Okay...I just reread your post and you do have 3rd party apps. Which ones? Random resets are not normal on the 680 unless it's a 3rd party app causing a conflict...
    Expand on why you have to reset. Is this a spontaneous reset where the unit resets automatically? Or is this something you're doing for a specific reason?

Either way, the answer is no, this is not normal. Unless there's a hardware issue, this sort of thing usually indicates a software compatibility issue. I have lots of 3rd party software on my 680 and it's quite stable.

So, did this happen when you first got your Treo? Can you remember when it started happening?

Did you upgrade from another Palm device or did you start everything fresh?

This will get us going in the right direction to resolve your problems.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
  4.    #4  
    I have Audible on my Treo, it will reset sometimes by itself (the Treo) when I am using this software. Other times I have to reset to get the sync to work via bluetooth. Never with the cable. One time I deleted what I thought was a Java application, but I am wondering if some of the files were critical, or perhaps the Palm doesn't let you delete anything that is crtical. I don't know.

Would I benefir by doing a hard reset and reloading everything?

I am synching with a MAC via a program called Mark Space.

Thanks you guys for answering so fast!
    Did you do a clean install to begin with? You should always do a clean install first and only load apps you know are safe for your particular device. Some apps don't play well with others...
    If you deleted the Java app using the Application launcher delete, then it will only delete files associated with what you're deleting. It would be very rare to see it delete something that was needed elsewhere. On the other hand, if you delete using a file manager such as FileZ, you can delete anything and there's no protection.

How much free memory do you have? It sounds like you may be having memory issues. Of course there's more to it than just free RAM. There's also the heap and cache. Unfortunately, I know very little about these.

Are these the only times you get a reset? Audible and BlueTooth HotSync? And I gather that with Audible it's spontaneous while you do the reset to get HotSync to work.

Bob
    I expect a soft reset a day. I don't get that many, but then I get a day where I get two or three resets so I'd say it averagges out to that. I have too many apps to count and to know which may be primarily responsible, but it is in a way a feature of the Treo as well when you think about it in that sense.
  8.    #8  
    What is a clean install?
    A clean install is where you start with the device out of the box and start installing applications one by one. This is as opposed to when you migrate from one device to another and HotSync your last HotSync from the old device to the new device. Even though Palm often suggests this, experience has shown that it's a bad idea. There are ways to retain your data while still doing a clean install.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I expect a soft reset a day. I don't get that many, but then I get a day where I get two or three resets so I'd say it averagges out to that. I have too many apps to count and to know which may be primarily responsible, but it is in a way a feature of the Treo as well when you think about it in that sense.
    I honestly don't want to single you out but I just happened to come across this from a January post of yours:

I did almost everything from Backupman and had no problems at all. I didn't even have the new Desktop version when I later hotsynced. I used the old 650 software for a while and it worked fine. I think there's a lot of panic here over nothing. A couple of things didn't work, and when I used the supplied software it segregated them. Some of them didn't work, and others I put back on and they worked fine. I really have no serious problems in this area at least.
    if you moved applications over from the 650 by restoring them to the 680 from a Backupman set, I wouldn't at all be surprised if your device is unstable.

if my Treo reset more than once a day, I do find it useful enough that I probably wouldn't mind -- 2 or 3 times would quite annoy me, though I could live with it. but the feeling I have about it now is if you install clean apps cleanly, there's nothing at all necessary about resets -- maybe an occasional one due to some connection snafu.
    What wasn't posted, however, is I have no different results so-called "clean installing" and installing as per Palm's manufacturer's instructions, so since I get the same resets and freezes using both, I prefer the easy and simple way that Palm provides, and I live with the freezes and resets that seem to be part of the design, or lack of design.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypotpie View Post
    I have Audible on my Treo, it will reset sometimes by itself (the Treo) when I am using this software. Other times I have to reset to get the sync to work via bluetooth. Never with the cable.
    I use Audible on my Treo 680 all the time and it never resets. I am using version 2.7.1. If you have an older version, that could be one of your problems. The version I use will let you download straight from Audible without having to synch from your computer, which is much faster.

Since you mentioned you deleted some programs that you maybe should not have, perhaps the best solution would be to hard reset and start fresh. I don't have a Mac so cannot advise you how that synchs, but I know there is a problem with Windows computers if you do not use the NEW 680 desktop software. I had a friend who just used his existing hotsynch software and he had weird problems all the time when I had none. When he started over with the new desktop software, everything cleared up and he hasn't reset since.

You might want to load only a few third-party applications at a time, testing your Treo in between to be sure everything is working. That will make it easier to find the incompatible software causing your problems.
    As another point of view, my treo resets maybe once every couple of weeks so I don't agree that resets once a day or more are normal on this unit. I have a few 3rd party apps on it although not audible.
    As another point of view, my treo resets maybe once every couple of weeks so I don't agree that resets once a day or more are normal on this unit.
    Agreed. I've only had one unintentional reset since I got my 680 (3 months ago).
    I think it also may depend upon how much you use the thing. As I go between TT6 GPS usage, heavy document usage, foreign language dictionaries, constant push email, a lot of attachment usage, unzipping files, using pdf's, web use with airline pages, airline schedules, on a daily basis, I kind of expect the occasional reset and less occasional freeze, but it does happen. Those who don't use all these things every day, day in and day out, might not see that.
    I've found eReader especially gives me a reset every other time I use it when i'm on too long...I think the soft resets can come about due to a RAM memory issue too...if you're using a "hevy" app for long it can happen - like a PC freeze that hangs up...but i don't get them too oftern with my 680..maybe one or twice a week and more so when I use certain apps heavily (eReader 2.63, LJP emulator)
    That's so weird. EReader, v2.6.3, never gives me any problems except for the screen flicker that happens every so often while using autoscroll. EReader is my most used program and once I'm in it, I'm there for hours without any resets.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
    I did a hard reset a week or so ago, and synced with a clean PC (no previous palm install), and all my previous problems (freezing when receiving calls, frequent soft-resets, etc.) have disappeared. No more missed calls, and the only soft reset I can recall was once when moving from pTunes to Core Player and back several times in quick succession...
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I use Audible on my Treo 680 all the time and it never resets. I am using version 2.7.1. If you have an older version, that could be one of your problems. The version I use will let you download straight from Audible without having to synch from your computer, which is much faster.
    My Audible crashes ever so often as well. Was using version 2.7.1. Then install version 3.0.1. Same results. But after doing all kinds of scenarios, finaly found out what makes it crash. If Audible is on background mode while you are in phone mode; if you try to pop out the Audible console by pressing a hard key, it will crash. What I did is to disable the Popup Audible Console. Just press the home key until the last few applications pops out and select Audible from there