1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I ahve been out of the TreoWorld for quite some time and recently started using my Treo650 (Sprint) again. So far, so good. Been thinking about upgrading to a 700p or WX but waiting to see what the next big device is.

Anyway, I am starting to think I might use my Treo as a GPS for my car, etc. I know basically nothing about GPS and what I need.

Here are my basic questions...

From everyone's experience, what is the best system to go with? I see a lot about TomTom 6....does that come with both the hardware (GPS unit) or just the maps that appear to be on a 1gb card? What all do I need...

Does anyone recommend anything else (another system perhaps...) I heard some work with GoogleMaps...is that true and if so, how is it, where do I get it, etc.

What about the best places to buy this GPS products? Where have you found to be the cheapest and most reliable???

Any advice about this overwhelming subject would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23
    Here are my basic questions...

From everyone's experience, what is the best system to go with? I see a lot about TomTom 6....does that come with both the hardware (GPS unit) or just the maps that appear to be on a 1gb card? What all do I need...
    I vote for TomTom6. I have it on my 700p and my wife uses it on her 650. No problems with either and if you run into any, they have probably been discussed here. I think TT works best on the Palm OS. You can buy it with a GPS or buy the GPS standalone. Just make sure the GPS you get uses SiRF III technology.

Does anyone recommend anything else (another system perhaps...) I heard some work with GoogleMaps...is that true and if so, how is it, where do I get it, etc.
    You cannot use GooleMaps with a GPS on the PalmOS.

What about the best places to buy this GPS products? Where have you found to be the cheapest and most reliable???
    Try the TreoCentral store or www.semsons.com. I used Semsons for TT5 and my GPS. I upgraded to TT6 directly from TomTom inorder to get the upgrade discount.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Marky...

Do they have competitive prices? I am not sure if there are places that sell things cheaper (other than ebay)?
    Yes, semsons is competitively priced but also backed up by very good customer service. You should also check out gpspassion.com. That's kind of a GPS-geek hangout and you can get good recommendations there (that's how I ended up at semsons). In fact, I just bought a new GPS from semsons since my wife appropriated the one I was using with TT5.
    Tomtom 5 is better than TomTom6. Buying a Tomtom5 and upgrade the map to 2006 will give you a perfect GPS navigation system.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I have some points vs TT5.
    a. TT6 has much more improvement features.
    b. Buying TT5 and upgrade the 2006 maps cost more.

@ MarkY: Do you have more Red light camera and Speed Trap on the other states or just the same?

@ matthew23: if you're interested in TT6 and want to have a deep discount price, pls PM me. I have a set of TT6 (software only, brandnew and sealed) which included the latest maps version 665.12xx. Please note there are two versions of TT6 maps out there on the market. Mine is the latest one which called Palmģ GPS Navigator Smartphone Edition 3.
    Last edited by treoluv; 03/05/2007 at 08:32 PM.
    Treo Maniac?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv View Post
    @ MarkY: Do you have more Red light camera and Speed Trap on the other states or just the same?
    Sorry, I can't comment on that since I haven't tried those services. I've only used the weather and traffic alerts.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Telenav (GPS receiver required)
    Earthcomber (GPS reciever not required but very helpful)
    Garmin GPS 10 works great for me.
    I thought TT5 cannot read TT6 maps?! Could it be that the maps are ok but you merely need to activate TT6 maps?

(Mr/Ms) Vixensjlin, Mind sharing why you think TT5 is better then TT6? I have been thinking about upgrading to TT6 but lacking a Pro/Con list, I couldn't decide.

Thanks
    I've been really happy with my TomTom5 bluetooth setup. Check out the bundles at: http://www.buygpsnow.com/tomtom-bundles_116.aspx

-Phil
    I have been happy with TT6 and GlobalSat BT 359 GPS receiver. Highly recommend both. I purchased them from Semsons, and highly recommend that site as well. I ordered these during Christmas time, and they were actually sold out of TT6, but once they had TT6 back in stock (which was in a day or so), they upgrading my shipping to 2nd day air free of charge, so I still got it on time. So as mentioned in previous posts, Semsons customer service is great.

Also, I would recommend the Seidio G2200S car mount. I use this mount and like it because the mount does not cover the speaker on the back of the 650. My GPS setup came with a free vent mount from Arkon, which worked great, but covered the entire back of the 650 including the speaker, which made hearing the TT6 audible directions difficult.

Bob
    I had no idea I could use TT6 maps with TT5. If so I think thatís an excellent idea Since I love the performance of TT5 and donít want to do a full upgrade. Somebody did say itís more expensive but if you already have TT5 the maps should be upgradeable. If not then maybe we are using the wrong software altogether.
    How exactly does this work? Do you just put the TT6 maps on the SD card like you do the TT5 maps
    I noted three new features in TT6, perhaps because I have been looking for them. I missed them since switching from another GPS to TT5. (See #3 below)

But TT6 seem less stable then TT5. It hung on me a few times (particularly at end/start of call, even when I am not using Bluetooth headset).

Given TT6’s stability problem, I am not sure I want to keep it. Anyone else with TT6 have hung problem when phone rang?

TT6 vs TT5

1. TT6 is definitely slower then TT5. Between pages, I can feel a noticeable lack as compare to TT5. I think it is because TT6 uses more color then TT5.

2. There are more eye candies for TT6. For example, the "Show satellite info" use to be plan solid blue bars. Now it is a "3D" blue bar. Other displays are more colorful also. For example, the initial disclaimer page, TT6 has different shades of green as oppose to TT5’s single shade.

3. Three new features I noted:

3.1, ability to navigate to Long/Lat, good thing when you are walking or going to a point off road.

3.2, ability to have 2D map north up. I call this the James Bond view (recall Gold Finger). I like this view a lot when I don't have the exact address. For example, I know I need to go north-east to get to that general area, then I will recognize the roads. With the map locked to north-up, it is easy. At any intersection, I can choose to turn or not by seeing if it takes me northward or eastward. When 2D map has headings-up only, I had a hard time deciding if I should turn to continue my north-east movement.

3.3 pick directly from contacts. I have a lot of format issues with this one. It appears that it wants the address in particular format. The same address when I hand-enter it is ok, but when I pick it from contact, it has an “address can’t be selected”. Also, it is name-only. I tried to use Company name, it wont do. For professional contacts, I have a lot of blank-names for common info for that entire company. (And keep individuals filed under the person’s name, don’t want to maintain the company address 16 times because I have 16 contacts at that facility.) I wish it could select by company or last name or first name, that kind of thing. Better yet would be a plug-in. While in the normal Contacts, like [dial] to dial the phone, have a [Navigate] button to start TT6 and calculate route.

4. May be new features

4.1 There is the “satellite imagery” which is a map of the entire US (about 2000 dots wide, so not high resolution). I didn’t try much of that as the entire US squeezed into 2000 dots wide has no resolution left.

4.2 Another “perhaps” is more voices. I didn’t count, but looks like there is more

4.3 The install to TomTom home also suffer from Microsoftism. Much more eye candies, much more “lets make it for the dummies”, as a result, I think it is cumbersome to use. It insisted on starting Microsoft Active sync for me (I don’t have a PDA anymore, just my palm), it insist on scanning for devices… I personally would find it easier to drag and drop files then struggling with a packager for an hour just for it to select the files to copy for me.

CL
    Last edited by CL Lo; 03/12/2007 at 04:05 PM.
    Another vote for Navigator 6.
    Kenji
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    Do you just put the TT6 maps on the SD card like you do the TT5 maps
    I assume you could do so with Tomtom Home. I haven't found a way to copy the maps directly from the DVD. It might try to update the app to Nav6 but I believe you can prevent it doing so. The tomtom support site for UK has the following comment:

If you currently own NAVIGATOR 5 / MOBILE 5 you can get the newest maps.
    If you own a device which is compatible with NAVIGATOR 6, the latest application for mobile phones, you will also get NAVIGATOR 6. Note that only new maps (version 6.6) can be used with NAVIGATOR 6.

If your device is not compatible with NAVIGATOR 6 you will still be able to buy the newest maps. The maps will work with NAVIGATOR 5/MOBILE 5.

The US site does not have the same comment so I'm not sure what that means. I just went ahead and upgraded to Nav6 since I wanted the other POI access and navigation improvements. I haven't really noticed a big delay in actual operation but it does seem to load slower than Nav5 did. If you haven't already done so, I believe the special upgrade pricing expires this month.