1.    #1  
    I have a pop3 account on Outlook which I've also set up in VersaMail on my Palm. I've plugged my settings into both the Palm app itself, and the Mail sync conduit in HotSync.

But the behavior baffles me!

On Outlook, the account pulls the messages from the server (deletes them from the server). On my Palm, it leaves the messages on the server.

When I sync, it never copies any mail from Outlook to my Palm. If Outlook has 10 messages, the server has 0, and my Palm 0, after sync, my Palm still has 0.

However, if I haven't opened Outlook, and there are still messages on the server that Outlook hasn't checked, it syncs those messages! So, if Outlook has 10 messages, the server has 2, and my Palm has 0, after sync, Outlook will have 10, the server will have 2, and the Palm will suddenly have 2.

Lastly, the sync will wipe out any existing email in my Palm inbox. So, if my Palm already had 10 and the server had 2, at the end of the sync, my Palm will only have 2.

I can't fathom this type of setup being normal?
  2.    #2  
    Ttt?
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Pop3 does not sync email. It merely reads emails that are on your server. And using a Treo with Pop3, you'll never see messages that have already been downloaded to Outlook. To really sync, you need Exchange server, then the messages you see on the Treo will be the same as the ones you see in Outlook or in webmail. If you don't have Exchange, the next best thing is to find an email service that uses Imap for email message reading. That allow to a decent job of syncing.

Good luck!
    Mike
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by rener View Post
    Lastly, the sync will wipe out any existing email in my Palm inbox. So, if my Palm already had 10 and the server had 2, at the end of the sync, my Palm will only have 2.
    normal?
    Everything you said seems normal for when using Versamail as a pop3 client except for this quote. Downloading from the server should not delete messages already on the treo.
  5.    #5  
    Yes, it definitely deletes previous mail every sync. I'll check all my settings again, but don't see anything that accounts for it.

I'll look into IMAP, but I worry that leaving all the messages online would at some point (when some glitch happens) begin downloading the entire folder, which at Canadian data plan rates, would force me to sell my house