Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I'm pushing over 12MB with 1000+ contacts and when I do a search it pauses a good two or so seconds between each letter I type. Also, when I update a contact, it sits for a good minute or two before going back to the main contacts page. This never happened to me with previous palms or even my treo650 gsm. It gets very frustrating when I'm with more then one person who wants to give me their contact info and I need to ask them to hold on for a few more minutes.

anyone?

thanks,
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    Have you tried a hard reset? Make sure to update your contacts with your computer, then do the hard reset to erase everything.. When ever my phone shows any hit of lag or slowing down I do a hard rest and it fixes everything for a month or so.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Thanks, but yes, been there, done that. Even did a restore of nothing other then the datebook, contacts and memos to rule out all second party apps. no joy. :-(
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    That's about 12 KB per contact! You've got pics associated with each?
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I've got pics for some of them. Some taken with the onboard camera, others from other sources. I think I'll go through and look for large images and delete them. Thanks for the push in a good direction.
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    As I understand it -- the full pic is not kept "in" the contact db -- only a thumbnail version is created and housed within the contact. So, if you had originally had linked to 500kb picture for the contact -- that 500kb does not go into the contact -- only the kb asscociated with the created thumbnail. As well, the original pic can be removed from the Treo and the thumbnail stays with the contact. . . .
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    well, that saves me the time of going through 1000+ contacts. :-)

Is there anyone else with a database that large on a treo? I started with palm back in 1996-1997 and have slowly been growing my contacts. I think one of the reasons for a PDA is so that you never have to delete old contacts that are still valid. Hopefully I won't have to do that on this danged 700p

Thanks,
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    FileZ says my contactsDB-PAdd file is 255kb and 604 records, plus two index files at 22kb each. . . . . . . double that and you get half a meg for 1208 records. . . . although the "record" reffered to is probably one line of the contact and not a full contact . . . . times 5 and you are still only at 3mb. . . .

12mb sounds large. . . .
    Run dbscan and see what happens. . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...68&postcount=4
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    My address book is showing 1,730 records at 110K.
    I merged 2 contact databases in my outlook and i have over 2400 contacts with a chunky notes section in each of them. My treo has become unbearable.

Issues:
    1. When a call comes in, the treo tries to match the caller-id with my contact database and I get a caller unknown prompt. But the screen is frozen and I cannot touch it. Then it matches the caller-id and I get only ONE RING to answer the phone before it goes to voicemail.

2. In the last situation, there is enormous lag with key presses. When the call comes in and if i try to answer it, the screen is unresponsive. Then it answers, registers my second touch and hangs up.

3. When I dial a call from my missed call list or contacts, i do not hear anything for 10 seconds. But the call is being placed.

My hardware
    Treo700p, outlook 2003, xp pro sp2

Questions:
    1. Is there a software that will let me keep 2 contact databases. one a light version and one a heavy duty version.

Any other suggestions. I searched the forums and could not find a right answer so posted thsi here as it was related.

thanks
    What size is your contact data base on the Treo?
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    RescoExlporer shows 12298k with 1008 records. dbScan with removing records showed no records to remove.

No matter what, it sounds like I have something wrong, very wrong, with my contact database.
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Is there a way to look at the size of each individual record? Grasping at straws here, but I was thinking that if the keyboard came unlocked in my pocked I could have written a10mb note in one of the contacts. Goodness knows there have been enough times when I pull it out of my pocket to find the screen on and that a new contact of fjfjfjjsjfjsdjf has been created :-)
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    Interesting thought. . . . I do not know of a way to do that.

However, a long way to do that would be to do a search for aa, then bb, then cc . . . . you might find the offending note that way . . . .

Do you use the Palm Desktop or Outlook to sync contacts to? I am wondering if there is a way to look at record size in either of those on the PC. . . . . . .
    I've posted on sokething similar to this before on this forum. Search for 'contacts', 'large' or 'huge' or something like that.

A full photo is not stored, just thumbnail, as Perry indicates. That's why I asked if you had one for each contact.

Each contact = 1 record as far as I've seen. Using sw such as Filez allows you to examine each record. Fairly tedious, even if you're just checking for the size of each. Try it, though. You will become pretty quick at it.

Dbscan is great, but it doesn't catch everything. From what I've experienced, once you've run dbscan on both contactsdb & addressdb (or whatever their names are), they should both contain same # of records, although will be different sizes (dbscan gets rid of deleted entries from addressdb).

Afterthought, add 'DA' to your search.
    Anyone know what a sokething is?
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    Anyone know what a sokething is?
    Something with a krunch to it?
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    I've posted on sokething similar to this before on this forum. Search for 'contacts', 'large' or 'huge' or something like that.

A full photo is not stored, just thumbnail, as Perry indicates. That's why I asked if you had one for each contact.

Each contact = 1 record as far as I've seen. Using sw such as Filez allows you to examine each record. Fairly tedious, even if you're just checking for the size of each. Try it, though. You will become pretty quick at it.

Dbscan is great, but it doesn't catch everything. From what I've experienced, once you've run dbscan on both contactsdb & addressdb (or whatever their names are), they should both contain same # of records, although will be different sizes (dbscan gets rid of deleted entries from addressdb).

Afterthought, add 'DA' to your search.
    Tell, tell . . . how do I do this?
    i have 6700 contact and 2.4MB DB. My caller ID does not work great past the letter D but it is pretty quick. I use TakePhone to do my searching and that works well. I also have Key Contacts on my 700p so i actually have 2 databases installed and neither is too slow. Key is my main DB that sync's with outlook 2003 and the standard palm DB is set so outlook over writes the 700p . this seems to work fine. with quite a few 3rd party programs i still have 45 MB free space.

I would say you have a DB problem some where.

In outlook if you do an advanced find (under tools). at the top choose contacts...then choose the second tab "more choices" at the bottom you can specify find contact with a files size greater than xx KB.

Good luck.