Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    When viewing file listing in Filez select (tap) file in ? then menu e, for edit. Should be clear from there.

Also, you can use a file viewer on a PC to examine the suspect db to find corrupto crappo (but those thumbnails will also look corrupto - so watch out for that).
    bling300c: sounds like a good method; just have to play around with a good size value to narrow it down!
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    ok, I can see that the contactsdb and the addressdb both have the same number of records, and the addressdb is a more managable 57k. Can I blow away the contactsdb and then somehow recreate it from the addressdb?

I also just installed agendus and it seems to have created an act database. Can I rebuild the contactsdb with that?

thanks again
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    ok, it is down to a managable 236k in size. Here's what I did:

1) select a category on PalmDesktop Contacts
    2) highlight all contacts in that group
    3) export all as a single vCard
    4) delete all highlighted contacts
    5) import vCard
    ----Repeat for each category----
    6) in HotSync custom set contacts on desktop to overwrite handheld
    7) syncronize

just that simple. I do use DA so that may very well be the culprit for the ginormous database. Perhaps I'll do this as housecleaning every year.

Thanks to all for the help.
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    wow - 12 MB to 236k... that is amazing.
    Problem with DA was fixed with later versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by finnd View Post
    ok, it is down to a managable 236k in size. Here's what I did:

1) select a category on PalmDesktop Contacts
    2) highlight all contacts in that group
    3) export all as a single vCard
    4) delete all highlighted contacts
    5) import vCard
    ----Repeat for each category----
    6) in HotSync custom set contacts on desktop to overwrite handheld
    7) syncronize

just that simple. I do use DA so that may very well be the culprit for the ginormous database. Perhaps I'll do this as housecleaning every year.

Thanks to all for the help.

Way to go DAN !!!
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I take no credit. I just followed a link another posted here. :-) I am jsut so happy that when I search my contact list now iby typing the first letter of the first name and then the last name, it isn't taking 5 seconds per letter. I can also now edit a contact without waiting for 2 minutes for it to save when I'm done.

THANKS GUYS
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    So - if I understand this correctly...is that just basically re-building your database in order to get rid of corrupt files?

In mine I have like 8 MB in Contacts DB and only about 187 KB in Address DB.

My treo takes almost a minute to save changes to edited contact entries...is this the reason why?

I've run DBScan and a couple of times when I finished that it would save changes lightning fast, but then went back to the delay.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    that is pretty much what it will be doing. and the delay you are seeing is like what i had too. I can tell you my crashes went way down in frequency as well. I am guessing that the whole contactsdb gets read into dbcache which then fills it. Less db cache, less stability?
    Dan Finn
    Verizon 700wx
    Can you clarify for me:

1-What is DA?
    2-How do I use File Z? I have it,but have never figured out much about the program.
    3. Does the fix described work if I do not Hot Sync with Outlook? I think so if I understood correctly. I just use Palm Desktop.
    4- Once you do all this does it stay fixed?

Thanks.
    when exporting the vcard-what should I name the file....or does it matter? Ditto for importing it back.

Please let me know as I want to try this fix.
    Well I tried what was described below and started with a very small category (about 30 entries) and exported it with the name of Task.vcf. Then I deleted the items in that task view, and then I imported the Task.vcf. That worked fine.

Then I tried the same thing with a category that was a little larger and it took a long time (1-2 minutes) and then gave an error. I could not get it to work on any other categories.

What's wrong? Any ideas?

Really want to get this fixed so all input welcome.
    bump
    Well I did the File z thing and find that bunches of my records are sized around 21000. I guess tha means I have to go and delet each of those and re enter them?

Anyone know an easier way? sblanter...can't seem to find the search you've referenced.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12