Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have had a 650 for 2 years and consider the 680. Should I just switch to the Moto or the BlackJack, I'll surely miss the touch screen.
    ~* Peace
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    i have had a 650 for almost 2 years. I recently got a 680 and a 750. Both has been crashing, and i dont have any 3. party apps.
    I think the 650 crashed harder than the 680. I haven't had the first reset loop with the 680. Or the need to do anything beyond a soft reset.

As far as frequency, I think the 650 had more problems than the 680. I;m experiencing at least one freeze-up with the 680 daily. So far, it's been easily fixed with a soft reset.

Still it's frustrating to have to wait for the 680 to recycle so you can make a call, check email or get on the web. I'm seriously considering the 750 but don't know if that will be any better.
    I had 3 650's that got replaced due to the infamous headphone jack and as I was going to get the 4th replaced they offered to upgrade me because of all the inconveniences to the 680(at no charge) so I did. And well let me tell you it's very stable with various 3rd party apps (I myself have atleast 7 3rd party apps) but the battery life sucks huge ones!!!! You can read multiple post here and other popular treo sites. Other than that it's nice
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I think the 650 crashed harder than the 680. I haven't had the first reset loop with the 680. Or the need to do anything beyond a soft reset.

As far as frequency, I think the 650 had more problems than the 680. I;m experiencing at least one freeze-up with the 680 daily. So far, it's been easily fixed with a soft reset.

Still it's frustrating to have to wait for the 680 to recycle so you can make a call, check email or get on the web. I'm seriously considering the 750 but don't know if that will be any better.
    The 750 crashes as well, but multi tasking is nice, but i like the 680 colours more, especially copper
    I have had no crashes and one freeze (dodgy third party app) with my 680 in 3 months of use. My 650 would crash or freeze or reset at least once a day, usually more. Doubling the RAM seems to have done the trick for me! Couldn't be happier!!
    I've only had mine a week but tend to echo rambo -- no resets. the Bluetooth is better, the phone is smaller, lighter, & nicer-looking -- altogether a perfected 650, I would say. having learned from the 650 was a big help -- I knew exactly what well-behaved apps I wanted & how to set them up (and I think there were only one or two I couldn't move, if that.)

I tend to stay away from apps that 1) are eye candy, 2) like to do things in the background, or 3) mess with contacts and calendar.

very happy, so far.
    Yup. I too had three 650s from Cingular and finally gave up on all three after 6 months for various reasons. One was the horrific instability. They switched me to the 680 and shazaaaam. It's like night and day. Much more stable but a little light on the battery (make sure and apply the Palm battery patch).

IMO, the 680 is head and shoulders above the 650, except in the power department. Still resets on me weekly or so, but the 650 conditioned me so badly, I think this is good.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin View Post
    I have had a 650 for 2 years and consider the 680. Should I just switch to the Moto or the BlackJack, I'll surely miss the touch screen.
    I have had the 680 for a couple of months now. Let me put it this way when it comes stability:

680=Toyota
    650=BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    I have had the 680 for a couple of months now. Let me put it this way when it comes stability:

680=Toyota
    650=BMW

I agree...the 680 should have been the 620.
    SE P900-->Treo 650 (Cingular)-->Qtek 9100-->Treo 650 (Unlocked)-->Treo 680 (Unlocked)-->Treo 650-->ATT Tilt-->Blackberry Curve-->?PRE
    way more stable.. I've been through 1.5 years of T650s.. about 7 have passed through my hands for friends and family... and The T680 defffffinatly has improved stability. choose your applications wisely.
    You can solve 99% of the Treo's problems with a hard reset.
    Although it's by no means the final word on stable apps, do check out the Palmfocus 680 List before you install a new app. These are real-world reviews and hands-on data gathered for each program. If it's on the red list, avoid it and save yourself some headaches.
    like Rambo....680 has been almost 100% stable for me...I could crash my T650 daily (with the same applications....Ptunes, TomTom, Goodlink etc...)...the extra memory is the key for mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post

680=Toyota
    650=BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by cutoffcirc View Post
    I agree...the 680 should have been the 620.
    I'm just curious...did you guys get the 650 when it first came out or awhile after? When it was first released, TC was exploding with threads about how unstable it was. My 650 would reset at least twice a day until I did a custom ROM about a month ago. The theory is that later batches of the 650 were more stable than the earlier released devices. My 680 has only spontaneously reset while beta testing a new app. It's so stable it's almost boring...
    I've used both the 650 and several 680s. I have found the 650 was rock solid. The 680's I've had did have some freeze ups that required soft resets. All were associated with phone operations. I purchased 650 after it had been out for awhile, but I got the 680 when it was relatively new. I would attribute the 680 problems to new product startup. It has been relatively problem free over the past month.

The 680 has been pretty darn stable for me. I had to use Powerrun with my 650 but had it running fairly stable as well. The 750 is actually quarkier than the 680 from what I can tell so far - namely the "disappearing SD card" issue on the 750 is just as bad as the 650 lockups I once had.

As many have eluded to before, its really all about third party apps IMO - the more you run, the more frequently you try them and uninstall them, etc. the more problems you can expect on your phone. Heck...the same is true for just about any Windows computer/laptop for that matter so its not limited to phones.
    My 680 is much more stable than my 650 ever was. It's astonishing, really, how few resets I've experienced.
    I think the crimson ones are much more stable than other colours...
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    I think the crimson ones are much more stable than other colours...

Yes, but the graphite ones have better reception and better voice quality...
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I'm just curious...did you guys get the 650 when it first came out or awhile after? When it was first released, TC was exploding with threads about how unstable it was.
    true, my 650 needed the 2nd official ROM update to become really stable. however, the 680 - after 3 weeks usage - appears to be really stable.
    matro 180->270->600->650->750v->680->Pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast