Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    So I just got my new 700p setup exactly like I want it...my concern is always if the device fails that I can be up and running again quickly. So, when my computer backs up the device, it backs up all settings, prgs, etc. so that when I activesync a new Treo with that computer that it puts it all back exactly the way it originally was, software and all correct?

I ask because there is a lot of deleting and messing around to get my work server to not sync my personal calendar into it...so I downloaded the activesync software from palm, and DST update and wanted to make sure that those are automatically reinstalled when I migrate to a new device should I need to. Does this make sense LOL, or am I rambling...

Any help on this would be much appreciated!
    You mean hotsync, not Activesync. Activesync is for Windows mobile devices, not Palm.

Go download NVbackup (it's free) and you can backup your Treo to your card with no worries. I personally use Backupman and it has paid for itself a couple of times already. You can find Backupman for around $12-14. Palmsource has it on sale for $12.95 I believe.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    but the backup prog built into desktop manager does the same thing as the backup progs for our phones correct? So, as long as I almost always have access to my laptop, I don't need these a backup program for my phone? Activesync like program was made by Palm so we could online lookup contacts and sync as items arrive, however, as items arrive seems to mess things up, LUCKILY, I only needed it so I could do online lookup, once an hour is fine for me.
    I use hotsync.

I have done a hard reset to get my treo back to the factory settings, then done a hotsync and put everything right back.

My laptop has a card slot and I backup my card too.
    A device based backup is a better answer than a desktop based backup. The reasons:

1) Device based backup is stored on the card and is there when you need it.
    2) If you use one of the better applications (Resco Backup, NVBackup just to name two), then you have an application that plays very well with other applications.

If given the choice between desktop/device based, the device is definitely the best base.

Ben
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    NVBackup, for me, is the only backup choice.

You can use Resco if you don't mind doing a warm reset before every backup. The only backup program that has worked *for me* in an automagic fashion, has been NVBackup.

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Syncing with a desktop and then having to restore isn't always perfect either (especially if you sync with multiple computers) at least that's my experience. The handheld-based backups seem to restore more accurately.

The bonus of syncing to a computer is if something happens on the go, you have a copy at home. I don't recommend just syncing to a laptop that you carry to all the same places you carry the laptop (if you bag/briefcase get stolen you've lost it all).

NVbackup is great, it runs at 3:30 am every day and keeps the last 7 days of backups for me. Plus, it will backup to a ftp server if you wish.
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Everyone has an opinion.

I sync to my PC at work and my laptop at home. I've been using palm devices since before they were using color, and I've never used any type of backup software, and never once have I ever had a problem or a need for it.

To each his/her own.

To those who have said they only use the backup to card method and never sync, what happens when you lose your card as many people have claimed they have?
    Last edited by pool_shark; 03/03/2007 at 02:18 PM.
    I had used hotsync for years, & played with hard resets to test. I've never had a hotsync restore put 'everything' back like it was. Very, very close, but each time it was missing a little something here or there (data always restored, it was just a pref or three that would be missing). Not that big of a deal, but it never left me with a great feeling that it could do 100%, especially since the missing prefs were almost never the same ones. If I recall there was only one time it seemed to restore perfectly. Of course, even then, there might have been somthing I missed.

I back up the card (which holds phone backups) to multiple places very frequently. So I would have various backups to restore from if I lost a card.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    Everyone has an opinion.

I sync to my PC at work and my laptop at home. I've been using palm devices since before they were using color, and I've never used any type of backup software, and never once have I ever had a problem or a need for it.

To each his/her own.

To those who have said they only use the backup to card method and never sync, what happens when you lose your card as many people have claimed they have?
    I copy the entire contents of my card to my desktop or laptop regularly.

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    What got me to actually begin device backups was a situation where I had hotsynced and ran into some problems and had to do a hard reset. I discovered after re-syncing everything that I had a couple of very important financial databases missing. They weren't in my Palm directory on my machine, and nowhere to be found on my device of course since I had hard reset. Fortunately I had made a copy of my Palm directory a few months prior and I found the file there, but I still had to enter 2 months of transactions back in on the device.

Ever since then, I have used Backupman and run an automated backup every other day in the early morning. You can never be too safe with crucial data.
    Previous post is why you make backups of so called 'backups'. Even though I don't do hotsyncs anymore, the palm directory is still included with the rest of data I auto back up every night on the systems (for if I ever decide to go ahead & hs). I keep multiple copies of those backups, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    Forget just losing the card. How about when you lose the phone with the card?!?

And if you back the card up on your computer, why not sync it while you're there?!?

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    No need to sync it. Don't get any benefit from it.
    I dont bother to hotsync, and use BackupBuddy VFS. Sending that data to an ftp server sounds good, and BackupBuddy has somekinda .net thing that I presume does just that. Probably the best way to go! Bothering with a hotsync is not only cumbersome and time-consuming, but it isnt portable. Regardless if you take your computer with you everywhere you go, its best to have some sort of mobile backup. I have been skipping hotsync's for years now!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    NVBackup, for me, is the only backup choice.

You can use Resco if you don't mind doing a warm reset before every backup. The only backup program that has worked *for me* in an automagic fashion, has been NVBackup.

SMEGGIE
    Hey SMEGGIE

I disagree with your statement.
    I have never had a problem with Resco Backup doing a complete backup of the devise memory, and I never done a warm reset prior to backup. I am sleeping when Resco does the backup and DB Cache flush at 4:00 AM.

I think people have a misconception that the != symbol means the file is not backed up. The != symbol means the file has changed since the last backup.

I recall aprasad brought this up a little while back and was asking about some warm reset software for the Treo based somewhat on this premise that Resco Backup did not do a complete backup without a warm reset.

NVbackup is great, but do remember that it is device, and possibly firmware, specific.