1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I have had some good luck recently speeding up my Treo, using a combination of DBcache and Resco locker. I locked Zlauncher, Ludusp, and a few others and set DBcache to clear out if my NVRAM gets below 7mb. So far, no more crashes and the white screen lag switching between my most used apps is pretty much gone.

Keeping the launcher and most-used apps locked in memory really seems to help things move along.

Anyway, your results may vary...I figured I would post these suggestions. Rock on!
    Resco locker initself and no real noticeable improvement for me (I locked Zlauncher too). Maybe it's the combination with DBcache that is the key....I'll give it a try.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Keeping the flush level at a higher level makes the cleaning of the DB cache faster and more frequently. When I have mine set to around 10 or so, it is quick but too frequent for my tastes. I have the 700p set to clear at 4MB.

Ben
    What I did, aside from what's already mentioned here, is hard reset every couple months & keep the messages purged. I hard reset today & had about 15 extra megs of space after I reinstalled all my apps. That's 15 megs of orphan files & pure crap that was clogging it up before. I'm surprised it ran as good as it did. What I do is keep a folder named "reload" on my card with all the PRCs of the apps I keep in RAM, along with a text file of all my serial numbers, and I keep fileZ installed on the card so I can just transfer the apps to RAM w/o syncing. That makes hard resetting & reinstalling very easy.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I hold my Treo upside down for three minutes and say "abra cadabra".

Warning: More than three minutes has resulted in data loss.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    I hold my Treo upside down for three minutes and say "abra cadabra".

Warning: More than three minutes has resulted in data loss.
    Well, some data loss is handy for a slimmer, trimmer Treo. A lighter Treo will help eleminate Droopy Drawers Syndrome.....

Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    What I did, aside from what's already mentioned here, is hard reset every couple months & keep the messages purged. I hard reset today & had about 15 extra megs of space after I reinstalled all my apps. That's 15 megs of orphan files & pure crap that was clogging it up before. I'm surprised it ran as good as it did. What I do is keep a folder named "reload" on my card with all the PRCs of the apps I keep in RAM, along with a text file of all my serial numbers, and I keep fileZ installed on the card so I can just transfer the apps to RAM w/o syncing. That makes hard resetting & reinstalling very easy.
    What do you do for database stuff: contacts, calendar, settings, etc? I've wanted to do the method you describe but haven't taken the time to discover exactly which files I need to transfer to bring my Treo back to normal usability.
    how do i lock stuff?
  9.    #9  
    Download and install Resco locker (it's free). I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing this if you are a n00b though.
    I just restore the databases with NVbackup or Backupman after I hard reset.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
    You go through and manually select them? Which ones do you restore?

I wish NVBackup had the ability to save selective backups/templates, without having to do it manually each time.
    I understand and downloaded resco locker but I can't figure out the DBcache. Is that a program or where do I go to set the level for it to clear out?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Rawson: NVbackup is free. If that doesn't top your wishlist then buy one that does the feature you need.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    So NVbackup will let me set the dbcache?
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Keeping the flush level at a higher level makes the cleaning of the DB cache faster and more frequently. When I have mine set to around 10 or so, it is quick but too frequent for my tastes. I have the 700p set to clear at 4MB.

Ben

I see theDBCache in files from time to time. How do we edit it?
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    Rawson: NVbackup is free. If that doesn't top your wishlist then buy one that does the feature you need.
    It does top my wishlist, thus it's the one I use. I'll be submitting a feature request to the developer(s) in case they are interested. In the meantime I think I am going to create my own solution by using the FTP export feature and controlling the backup set on my PC.
    At the beginning of this thread it was stated that the 700p can be speed up with resco locker and setting the dbcache. I have downloaded resco locker and now I am curious about dbcache.

Is DBcache a program that can be loaded on my 700p or is it a setting that can be set via another program? or how can I set my dbcache?
    The DBcache in your 700p is a block of memory that can manually be reset. There are programs that can do this, such as Resco Explorer. I'm sure there are others, maybe even free ones, so we'll let some other people chime in with those.
  19.    #19  
    The DBCache tool is a little program that will auto-flush the DB cache based on settings that you dictate to it. For instance, if my dbcache gets below 4mb available, it will automatically flush it for me to free up space for programs and (hopefully) prevent crashes. You can get it at http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

I had an issue recently where my home button would not go back to zlauncher. Actually, it wouldn't do anything. I had to do a hard reset and restore using backupman, and so far so good. I was also getting fatal exception errors with Zlauncher and resets after I installed the DBcache tool and Resco locker together. Since my hard reset, I haven't had any problems though so I'm not sure if RL or DBCache were actually the cause as they are installed now. I did turn off the auto-flush feature on DBcache.

Again, if you're a n00b and don't have some knowledge of PalmOS I would probably just leave these tweaks alone.