1.    #1  

I have a Treo 700P-Verizon and it's worked fine for about 6 months then suddenly stops syncing properly. I have routinely had the same problems appear...about every 6-9 months on my Treo 650, prior to that the Palm T3.

I am so frustrated with this recurring problem. I have to spend 4 hours on that horrible excuse for tech support..and they have me change my user name, and export and then import all the components of the calendar, contacts etc....and then it will all work fine again for 6 months.

I've become so paranoid that I make a backup on the PC and on the Treo before each hot sync just to be sure I have good backup sources for when this blows up again.

When it blows up I'll get either a situation where it just won't sync, or where it will sync and delete some contacts or calendar entries, or where it will put some calendar entries to some date before 1970.

I just wish there was some company I could hire to help me truly figure out what's the problem. Does anyone know of a consultant who is reputable and can help me truly get this resolved? I have thousands of entries in the calendars and contacts records and don't want to have to start from fresh load and re-key these, but may need to in order to get a clean start.

Also when I sync and it works...it takes 2 and a half minutes to sync. The laptop is usually freed up in 15-20 seconds, but then the Treo gyrates on for the next 1-2 minutes. When this last thing happened I got a message at the end "can't open port" and then it scrambled data...so I restored from backups and tried several more times...now I just have to wait until I have 4 hours to set aside to talk to the people from India on tech support.

I have two problems with hotsyncing via USB that are not nearly as bad as yours. Both are readily fixable. I figured I'd mention them in case anyone else is having similar problems.

First every once in a while (about once per month) when I push hotsync nothing will happen on the computer. The 700P will eventually say something like 'timed out trying to connect to your computer'. I simply shutdown and restart my computer and soft reset my 700p. That almost always resolves the problem.

The second problem happens more frequently (about once to twice a week). Hotsync works, but when it get's to the last backup item it hangs. The palm stays at the same screen and hotsync on the PC also stops responding. I also go throught the restart of my PC and soft reset of the 700p. Then I hotsync again.

-Stew
    I'm not sure if this program works on the 700p, but it has on the 600, 650 and 680. You may have a error in some PIM database file. dbScan can help find them if they're there...

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-748.html

sysmg, I had your second problem, hot sync would hang on Calendar sync forever and never complete unless I disconnected the cable. I used dbScan and fixed the files with the errors and all was well.
    I fifth the DBScan solution - it has always worked for me when I was unable to complete a sync. I also make a habit of using it after extensive work on the PIMs.

Ben
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies. I'll check out DB Scan. If anyone has used it with a 700P that would be great to know.
    "First every once in a while (about once per month) when I push hotsync nothing will happen on the computer. The 700P will eventually say something like 'timed out trying to connect to your computer'. I simply shutdown and restart my computer and soft reset my 700p. That almost always resolves the problem."

+1, however I have also had to actually remove the Palm software from my box and reinstall.
  7.    #7  
    WOW - Thank you!!! I got DBScan and it is amazing. It found several records that were corrupted and deleted them and now it's working pretty well.

I saw a post somewhere where someone said to make sure and selected NEITHER once it is installed and that's what I did and it worked. I'm still confused about exactly how to use the program to it's fullest and can't seem to find any instructions except very limited instructions in the help function of the program. Any tips appreciated.

I was experiencing LOOONG delays whenever I edited a contact...that's fixed now after DBScan. YEAH!!!

I was also unable to HotSync...now it works.

I still have a situation where Hotsync on PC finishes in 15-20 seconds...where the Treo 700P takes maybe another 2 minutes..but it does complete ok now. Anyone know why that takes so long?

Really appreciative...didn't have to talk with tech support YEAH!!!!!!!