Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    This topic may have been discussed before...but I couldn't find it using "search", soooo...

    Is there any source out there for "debranding" my Cingular Treo 680? I don't mean just removing the logo from the case...but I mean a source that could "flash" the phone with the original Palm software, and replace the Cingular custom software version effectively taking all traces of Cingular from the phone?

    I had a Sony Ericsson w810i for a while, and I used a site called www.wotanserver.com to "flash" the phone with SE software...and took away all that Cingular had programmed into the phone...releasing many new themes, functions, and hidden menus Cingular didn't want their users to have access to...since they didn't instantly direct them to MediaNet or another pay-for-play Cingular vehicle. It made the phone a lot more fun...and functional.

    Has anyone had this done? If so, what would the benefits be (if any) to a full "debranding"?
  2. #2  
    They've accomplished custom ROMs for the 650, but I think they're still stuck with the 680.

    BTW...how did the Sony Ericsson w810i debranding go? I have three of them that I would like to get all the "junk" off of...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    They've accomplished custom ROMs for the 650, but I think they're still stuck with the 680.

    BTW...how did the Sony Ericsson w810i debranding go? I have three of them that I would like to get all the "junk" off of...
    Worked perfectly, without a hiccup. Wotanserver is totally *****-proof (proof is...I did it!! ), and all you have to do is buy a "credit" via Paypal, have a USB cable and a fully-charged battery. Download drivers & the current user file...and you're good to go. It will guide you through the process step-by-step and takes about 30-min. start to finish. You will have fun with all the "new" flash menus and new themes that are suddenly available. You will have to go to the Sony Ericsson site and recieve the Cingular WAP and MMS settings OTA...but the rest is easy.

    The w810i is an awesome phone...best in their line IMHO. I just sold a white one (my last "plain" mobile phone) because I got tired of editing my contacts back and forth between it and my Treo. SE "reads" contacts weird, and totally different from Treo or Motorola, or any other phone I have had.
  4. #4  
    It's a really fun music phone...my 11 year old is never without hers. I would have loved to have gotten a white one...ours are all black. The white was only the unlocked version, right?

    When I purchase a "credit" can I use that to flash all three phones or do I have to use three separate flash programs?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    It's a really fun music phone...my 11 year old is never without hers. I would have loved to have gotten a white one...ours are all black. The white was only the unlocked version, right?

    When I purchase a "credit" can I use that to flash all three phones or do I have to use three separate flash programs?

    You need three seperate "credits". They are like $9.00 Euros, I think...so maybe $11.00usd or something each? Pretty cheap though. Please know, that if the phone is debranded...you will lose your Cingular warranty, if that matters to you at all.
  6. #6  
    With Palm recently promising to fix the security flaw in Cingular 680's but not unlocked ones, you might want to factor this into your decision to de-brand.
  7. #7  
    gah beat me to the punch

    how do i take the case cingular off?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    With Palm recently promising to fix the security flaw in Cingular 680's but not unlocked ones, you might want to factor this into your decision to de-brand.
    That's bizarre. Thanks, Patrick.
  9. #9  
    I bought all four phones from Amazon and Cingular doesn't carry insurance on their "high-end" devices, so warranty is not an issue for me...

Posting Permissions