1.    #1  
    These are some awesome, but lesser used, programs for the treo. I'm unsure which versions they cover, but i use them on my 650, and figured I'd share.

Salling clicker. This program allows my treo to connect, via bluetooth, to my PC, where it becomes my remote control for windows media player (the base program that I do all media through, routes to my projector/sound system)

Palm VNC. If you've ever had someone working on your computer without being in your home, you may have been using VNC. They make a mobile app that works quite well with treos. I'd recommend not displaying the background on the treo when connected to your home PC for speed's sake. This lets you see a real time screen shot of your home PC, and use it! I'll be on the road, and see my fiance playing her girl bands, and switch it to something else. Good program for fun and function (sometimes I realize I can start a day long program but i'm already on the road - just log in and turn it on from the car).

PocketDivx. Got a bunch of divx/xvid compressed (".avi") files, you know all those simpsons/family guy 'backups' you make from your DVD's? This program edits them to the appropriate resolution for a treo's screen, so you can have optimal quality playback on your treo (I use TCPMP, "the core pocket media player", for video playback). A video is roughly 50-70mb done this way, depending on audio / video quality (and by video I mean 20 min cartoon, so you can fit a good amount of videos on a 2gb SD card).

Treohelper. This program not only tells me RSSI (signal strength) levels in (almost) real time, but it has some other cool features. One that I love, is that upon receiving a certain text command, that you program, it will lock your phone down and need a password to be opened. So, if I realize I left my treo in a restaurant, I simply text my treo "lockdown", and it locks itself down, and displays my pre-written info (basically cash reward and my email address). Even resetting the phone doesn't unlock it, though I believe hard resets do. But they'd have no idea how to do that unless they really wanted to get in that phone.

KeyguardTime+. This program is awesome. By holding down any button of my choosing (well, you can choose many buttons), it will tell me my battery %, my RSSI level, time of day, etc. So no matter what app i'm in, i can gauge battery%, without trying to poke that battery emblem on the phone page (who uses a stylus anyways?)

filePC2pda. This is a good file transfer program, it allows you to move things between your palm's internal and external memory, back and forth to your computer. A little cumbersome at first, but easy once you've used it a little bit.

Oh btw I believe that these were all FREE programs, except for the salling clicker app, which was like $10-20. Also check out pong and rocket chu, two free, highly addictive games!
    Thanks for the post!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  3.    #3  
    my pleasure
    POcketDivx? Off to google! Thanks!
  5.    #5  
    let me elaborate a little on what I do for the whole media thing, well, videos specifically. (only do this to make copies of your own purchased media, don't pirate

Say you have your family guy DVD. You'll want to compress this with xvid/divx, to make it a smaller file. If you happen to be using programs like napster/kazaa/limewire (maybe not napster anymore, but you get the point), it's probably already compressed with divx/xvid, so you wouldn't need to do this.

If I owned a DVD that needed to be broken down, I'd use DVD decrypter to find the part of the DVD (the particular family guy episode I wanted, for instance), and isolate that out as an IFO file. Then, using AUTOGK (auto gordian knot I believe it stands for), I convert that file to a ".avi" file, which is now xvid/divx compressed. That's the way I keep my media files for home theater viewing through my projector.

To put that file directly onto the treo woudl be giving it way more quality than the treo could display, and a larger file size. So, i take my ".avi", divx/xvid compressed video file, and run it through pocketdivxencoder, setting the resolution at 320X240. You can also tinker wiht the video/audio quality, and it tells you what it's doing to the end file size when doing that. I use htat program to make it the proper resolution, so it's as good a file as my treo's screen can show, no better, no worse. Then I transfer that file through "pc2pda" onto my SD card (if i'm remembering correctly, if you use hte quick install program from the palm programs, it tries modifying the videos you put on it.). These would need to be watched with tcpmp, i don't think the standard player on a treo can play a normal ".avi" video. (btw, all these programs for the video compression/resolution/transferring are free programs, which is good to know. I think the program I use to control windows media player from my treo was the only one mentioned in this thread that cost anything.)
    Do PocketDivX .AVI files play on the Treo? How is the quality compared to FairUse Wizard's OGM files? I've been using FairUse to compress movies for the Treo, then PocketDivX to convert to .AVI, then Windows Media Encoder to convert to .WMV for my kids' MixMax players. It would be great if I could skip a step and still be able to watch movies on all the devices. Also, is there an easy way to get movies to play on the Treo, the MixMax players (WMV only) AND the PSP?
  7.    #7  
    yes, they do play on the treo, but through tcpmp (the core pocket media player). I'm pretty sure that the built in video player won't play them. I don't know that pocketdivxencoder actually makes them ".avi", I know that hte files I feed it have already been compressed to ".avi" (remember, to all ya'll pirates out there, most of what you get from free downloading programs is a xvid/divx encoded ".avi" file already)

you can adjust quality, so using this setup you can tweak it to the perfect resolution (240X320) for your treo's screen. You could put a 'higher quality' resolution in there, but it would be pointless. It would be a larger file, with more pixels, but your treo cannot show them as its screen won't go past 240X320 (yes, the screen on a treo is larger than that, but videos aren't square like the treo's screen, so teh appropriate size is 240X320).

What does fairuse compress them with? Is it making divx files? I'd imagine they're already ".avi" files at that point. I only use the pocketdivxencoder program to make them the proper resolution for my screen on a treo, otherwise they sit on my PC as divx encoded, ".avi", files in their normal resolution (which is for my projector. Putting those files on the treo wouldn't change a thing about how they looked, the files would just be larger. You could put 480X640 resolution files on the treo, but they'll show up on teh screen teh same as a 240X320 file would have, but the 240X320 file will be smaller, so more files will fit on your SD card.)

What's a mixmax player? I don't know what it accepts, but i find that if you're starting at DVD, it was best to first compress it to a smaller, but still large enough, divx compressed ".avi" file. Those are for regular watching, and pocketdivxencoder is for changing resolution (although as I typed that, i noticed the name includes 'divxencoder' lol, so I guess that yeah, it does compress them as divx files. I always used pre-encoded, divx/.avi files, as that's what I hold all media video files as on my PC. I've never tried using a DVD as an input for pocketdivxencoder, i always use my files that are already compressed.)
    FairUse Wizard makes Divx that says it's an .AVI file, but when I try to encode it with Windows Encoder, it doesn't show as the "right" kind of .AVI file. Apparently, there are many types??? The final result in FairUse shows as a .OGM file and they play perfectly on the Treo.

So my problem is, I need FairUse to compress the movie, then I need an .AVI (using PocketDivx) to use WM Encoder. So I end up having to spend hours compressing the movie into three different formats to use on different devices. I haven't even begun to try for my daughter's PSP, yet. I was hoping there would be an easier way to do it.

Oh...and I tried going right from the DVD to PocketDivx, but it split the movie into segments and I didn't know what to choose, to keep it as a complete movie, to encode.

A MixMax player is by Disney. It's an MP3/Video for little kids. It can hold 512mb in internal memory and up to 2gb on an SD card. It's like a video iPod but for much younger children...mine are two and five.
  9.    #9  
    so, you're using fairuse to make a large file compressed with DIVX? If you're doing htat, why are you then trying to encode it with windows encoder? Didn't you already encode it to divx? I'm kind of confused what you're tryign to do, seems you may be trying to encode the same thing twice, which may be giving you problems. Which device is causing you to have to use all these programs? Which player do you have that won't take your standard, divx encoded, .avi files?
    DVDFab gives much better results than PocketDivx. It's not free but the quality speaks for itself. H.264/AAC encoding can't be beat.
    There are a few programs out there that lock or hard reset the Treo via SMS. I'm wondering how secure a lockdown is as compared to a hard reset. Also, since I have everything backed up on my card, anyone who found it would have everything they needed to restore the phone if they really wanted to.

I guess that's why I haven't made the leap to try any of these programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeity View Post
    so, you're using fairuse to make a large file compressed with DIVX? If you're doing htat, why are you then trying to encode it with windows encoder? Didn't you already encode it to divx? I'm kind of confused what you're tryign to do, seems you may be trying to encode the same thing twice, which may be giving you problems. Which device is causing you to have to use all these programs? Which player do you have that won't take your standard, divx encoded, .avi files?
    These Disney things will only take .WMV files coded a certain way and Disney provides no documentation on how to do it. I found a forum that explained the steps to get the correct files, but the only way is to take a file that WM Encoder will accept and encode it. I'm trying to get a DVD to a file readable on the Treo and WM Encoder to skip a step and have a file for the Treo and the MixMax. I haven't even attempted the PSP, but I assume MPEG4 will be a whole additional conversion. Am I explaining it right? It's all so confusing to me, I'm amazed I've even been able to do it in the first place...

The short of it is, I need to get a DVD into Treo, MixMax (WMV) and PSP readable files.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    There are a few programs out there that lock or hard reset the Treo via SMS. I'm wondering how secure a lockdown is as compared to a hard reset. Also, since I have everything backed up on my card, anyone who found it would have everything they needed to restore the phone if they really wanted to.

I guess that's why I haven't made the leap to try any of these programs.
    Why do you keep everything backed up in your SD card, wouldn't it just make sense to back up to the palm software daily, and use your SD card for media, or sell it for money?

If someone found my treo, they'd know they couldn't use it as a cell phone. Also, because it's locked down, they can't use any programs. They'd try resetting it, but it would still be locked. At that point, they'd email me regarding getting the cash reward (I don't list an amount, if they come clean with my phone quickly i'd give something realistic, if they tried getting cash out of me, i'd agree and then just take my phone and give nothing ).

Sure, they could do a zero out reset and get the lock off of the phone. *But*, remember, the odds of them knowing that there are multiple types of resets for a treo are slim to none. If they have a treo they'd know they could reset harder than the reset button, but then they wouldn't have much need for mine (although mine will have a ridiculous, extended range custom antenna, but that's another story).

I guess my point is that most people who would be jerks enough to keep a phone they found instead of turning it back to me, wouldn't realize that there was a way to make the phone functional again. Then they'd decide to get cash instead of keeping a piece of plastic that says "!!!phone locked, email dkfjddkfjfdkjf etc".
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    DVDFab gives much better results than PocketDivx. It's not free but the quality speaks for itself. H.264/AAC encoding can't be beat.
    ? on a treo? I'm not sure how it could be better, pocketdivx puts out 320X240, so what is it improving on? Mine play flawlessly, I'm not sure how they could be improved on that screen (they look the same as when i play higher resolution ones, like the ones i'd run through a projector). Anyways, if there is a difference, i can't imagine it'd be worth the money.. Have you compared them head to head?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeity View Post
    Why do you keep everything backed up in your SD card, wouldn't it just make sense to back up to the palm software daily, and use your SD card for media, or sell it for money?
    You back up to an SD card in case your away from your computer and need to restore in a hurry. If you run into a situation that causes you to hard reset and you have no access to your Palm desktop, you're SOL...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    These Disney things will only take .WMV files coded a certain way and Disney provides no documentation on how to do it. I found a forum that explained the steps to get the correct files, but the only way is to take a file that WM Encoder will accept and encode it. I'm trying to get a DVD to a file readable on the Treo and WM Encoder to skip a step and have a file for the Treo and the MixMax. I haven't even attempted the PSP, but I assume MPEG4 will be a whole additional conversion. Am I explaining it right? It's all so confusing to me, I'm amazed I've even been able to do it in the first place...

The short of it is, I need to get a DVD into Treo, MixMax (WMV) and PSP readable files.
    gotta say that i'm still a bit confused. *but*, you should try a program called audio/video to exe. I got it for free from download.com, and it converts one file type to another file type, or to an executable file, whatever that is. Let's say you use a program to pull a video off of youtube (one that you posted in the first place, that isn't copyrighted, of course. Of course you'd use 'youtube grabber', also free from download.com), you'll find that video can't be played through windows media player, because whatever format they are in on youtube isn't compatible with windows media player. You then take that file and run it through the audio/video to exe, adn choose what format to change it to. I use that to convert things to ".avi" for my needs, but I just checked it, and it allows me to convert to ".wmv" too (and a bunch of other formats, it really is a cool program, especially for free. I cannot comment on its quality because i've never fed it any decent quality stuff). You should check it out, it's been great for my uses, i'm sure it'll work the same to make .wmv files. Let me know how that goes, I'm pretty sure that'll solve the .wmv problem, I just don't know if you'll find a file type that works across all 3 of yours. (btw, the other format you mentioned is supported by the program I'm recommending to you, you can convert to like 10 different file types through this program, it's awesome!)