1.    #1  
    Take this for what it's worth. It's just one observation but it seems to me that Google Maps may drain battery power because it might remain on in the background (updating traffic), when you think it is off. All I know is that I started out with about 22 hours of projected battery life, and then a few hours later I had about 12 hours (total) projected life. I suddenly realized, for the first time, that this coincided with my having used Google Maps with traffic update on. I had no idea whether it turns off automatically, and if not, how to turn it off (there is no button for that), so I just reset the phone, and during the rest of the day the projected (and actual) life climbed back up to about 16 plus hours. I have no idea if what I've observed is real, but it's worth noting, and perhaps others can confirm or deny it.
    If that is true, then it is a glitch with the program & not the phone itself. Google Maps would need to be patched.
  3.    #3  
    I don't think it matters, at least not from my perspective, what the reason is, but whether it exists and what to do about it. If it exists, it seems a reset, and perhaps only a reset, will cure it. But perhaps something else coincided with the program and its not the program at all. I just posted this for the sake of information.
    hmm when i launch it it has to sighn in for me

and the traffic sucks on accuracy im in yellow and and stopped im in red and doing 85

GAH!
    Google Maps does not run in the background.. Now.. There's a chance it might do something which causes more drain and it stays in that state. But it's not the program running doing it.

Any program which runs in the background is going to show up in Palm Internals. I bet you're not going to find it listed.
  6.    #6  
    I could easily be wrong about this. I haven't the slightest idea. It's a typical situation where suddenly different results appeared, and I attributed it to whatever was running at the time.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Google Maps does not run in the background.. Now.. There's a chance it might do something which causes more drain and it stays in that state. But it's not the program running doing it.
    Well, here's what it DOES do: It establishes a data connection, and then doesn't drop it. I know that much because I've been tracking it, but I don't know if the connection is merely open (which should use little, if any at all, power) or transmitting data. According to what you say it shouldn't be, and when I return to the app, it does say it is downloading traffic, as if it had not been doing anything in the interim. On the other hand, if you open the program, it goes through several windows, including choice of route, etc., but when it's left in this state (that is, no other data program initiated, for instance), it is still on the map that I left, but perhaps that means nothing.