1.    #1  
    Hi,

After loosing my SD card (for the second time !),
    I started thinking about all the data I keep on it, and
    thought of an app that might come handy - a security
    locker app for the SD card.

This app should encript the data on the card itself, in
    a way that if someone finds it and puts it into another
    Palm, other handheld, or a PC - nothing can be read.

Only a client on MY palm, with my own password,
    can decript it.
    For ease of use - I should be able to set it so I only
    have to enter the password once aday, or every time
    I plug the card in.

Is there such an app ?

Thanks !
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    I havent come across one. You have described my dream security app as well-- something that works the same way that PGP works on a PC. That is, you encrypt (in PGP parlance) a container (which in this case would be the size of the SD card) then put files into it. Then you would just have to enter a PW to open the container and access everything in it.

The app that comes closest to this that I know of (and has PGP-level encryption), is SecureCard from Toysoft, where you can PW protect any SD card directory. This sounds good until you realise that every time you open or close that directory every file must be, respectively, decrypted or encrypted, which makes it unuseably slow for an entire SD card of the sizes we use now.

I asked Danny from Toysoft, who has been steadily improving his security apps over the years, whether there was any chance that a PGP-style app was in the works - the answer was no, but he didnt explain why it was not likely.

I havent exhaustively checked every security app though. In particular I havent bothered thinking about anything that has only low-level encryption.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE View Post
    Hi,

After loosing my SD card (for the second time !),
    I started thinking about all the data I keep on it, and
    thought of an app that might come handy - a security
    locker app for the SD card.

This app should encript the data on the card itself, in
    a way that if someone finds it and puts it into another
    Palm, other handheld, or a PC - nothing can be read.

Only a client on MY palm, with my own password,
    can decript it.
    For ease of use - I should be able to set it so I only
    have to enter the password once aday, or every time
    I plug the card in.

Is there such an app ?

Thanks !
    Wow...you red my mind! I have a good security app for the Treo itself, but I need exactly what you described for the sd card. I found Disk Manager 1.2 but I'm not sure how to use it and its no longer in development: http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-494.html

I'll keep a lookout for something...
    Treo 650 Verizon
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Shimon,

Are you thinking of creating such as app? I think it would do really well, You could call it 4Security.
  5.    #5  
    Hi,

No (not yet).
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman View Post
    Shimon,

Are you thinking of creating such as app? I think it would do really well, You could call it 4Security.
    I would actually call it 2Secure

d-
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    (I think) PA had an article about just such an application a few weeks ago. It might be worth searching through the site or shooting Sammy an email. Again I think it was there.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3 View Post
    (I think) PA had an article about just such an application a few weeks ago. It might be worth searching through the site or shooting Sammy an email. Again I think it was there.
    What's PA?
    Treo 650 Verizon
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abe frohman View Post
    What's PA?
    Palm Addicts? I think.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Palm Addicts is correct. http://palmaddict.typepad.com/
    TealLock used to be able to do this. Don't know if current versions do.
    Quote Originally Posted by duke duke View Post
    I would actually call it 2Secure

d-
    Ah, beat me to it.
    I was actually just responding on another post that many of these programs that use an SMS to lock down or reset the Treos aren't actually all that secure if the Treo still has the card in it and the card has all your backups. I think one of those programs in combination with something like Shimon mentioned would be a winning security app.
    And here it is... maybe:

Security features include serial and infrared lockout, 128-bit data encryption for both memory and external SD/MS/CF cards, and optional data self-destruct modes to deter brute force attacks.

New features in version 6 include protected applications, alarm blocking, activation via SMS text message, screen shortcuts, button shortcuts, persistant card encryption, password permissions, emergency calling, self destruction of card based data, jpeg import capability and an all new streamlined interface
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    And here it is... maybe:
    Reading through the manual, it sounds like it encrypts individual files rather than a container, thus I imagine it will not be suitable for encrypting an entire card's worth of files, like my 8GB monster! Encrypting/decrypting individual files each time you want them/dont want them is a pain IMO.

The app Disk Manager 1.2 mentioned above sounded interesting in concept but the reviews are so bad Im afarid to try it. Anyone else been brave enough with this one?

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    I thought TealLock did this on the fly (encrypt/decrypt) automatically.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    I thought TealLock did this on the fly (encrypt/decrypt) automatically.
    I should have been more precise in my comment. SecureCard also does encryption/decryption on the fly, but it still has to do this for each and every file you want protected. It sounds to me like TealLock works the same way. Therefore if you want to protect an entire (potentially multi-GB) SD card (as the OP requested) this will take so much time that it is unuseable for all but the smallest cards.

What is needed is a program that, with high level security, password protects entry to the card, not each file on the card, just like the gold-standard of PC security (PGP) can do.

If TealLock or any other program does do this properly I'd love to hear of it!

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    I should have been more precise in my comment. SecureCard also does encryption/decryption on the fly, but it still has to do this for each and every file you want protected. It sounds to me like TealLock works the same way. Therefore if you want to protect an entire (potentially multi-GB) SD card (as the OP requested) this will take so much time that it is unuseable for all but the smallest cards.

What is needed is a program that, with high level security, password protects entry to the card, not each file on the card, just like the gold-standard of PC security (PGP) can do.

cheers
    You are absolutely correct. This just takes too long with teallock to be practical...
    Treo 650 Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post

cheers
    I'm not familiar with the inner workings of PGP. But I am a bit confused about this.

If all content on the card is to be protected under every circumstance, e.g. card reader, CardExport, reading the card in Windows, Linux, on the Mac, etc, then all content on the card must be STORED in an encrypted form.
    If that is the case, won't all files have to be unencrypted/encrypted on the fly as the file is read/stored from/to the card?
    What other "gatekeeper" program will avoid doing that? Maybe PGP on the PC appears faster because of the speed of the PC and the interface. It has to be doing the same encryption/decryption for each file as well ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    I'm not familiar with the inner workings of PGP. But I am a bit confused about this. Maybe PGP on the PC appears faster because of the speed of the PC and the interface. It has to be doing the same encryption/decryption for each file as well ...
    I'm not savvy to the inner workings of PGP either, but experience suggests to me that the contents of PGP "containers" are not being encrypted/decrypted on the fly in the same way as in a Palm program like SecureCard. Using the PGPDisk component of PGP, one begins by creating an empty but encrypted "container" --a process that may take hours if the container size is set very large. Once having created, say a 200GB container, the time taken subsequently to open (or close it) then seems completely independent of whether the container is empty or full of files, in that it appears, to me, absolutely "instantaneous".

With SecureCard, one doesn't ever create a container at all. One just specifies an already existing directory whose contents you want to protect. However, there is some parallel with PGP in that it seems to me that the first encryption of the files in the directory takes a longer time than subsequent re-encryptions.

If your PC crashes when a (large, full) PGP container is open, the contents are still encrypted upon restart, whereas in the analogous situation with SecureCard on the Palm, the protected directory's files are unencrypted on reboot, because SecureCard hasnt had time to re-encrypt them.

Also although Danny Wong of Toysoft may have just been glib when I asked him whether SecureCard could ever operate like PGP, his answer at the time seemed to imply that there was a basic difference in the way that the two programs operated.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast