Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    What is needed is a program that, with high level security, password protects entry to the card, not each file on the card, just like the gold-standard of PC security (PGP) can do.
    cheers
    Sorry if I'm missing the point here. but password protecting entry to the card only protects against someone trying to read the card the standard way. It doesn't save your data if that data is not encrypted because someone can always go to the next lower level and read the raw data.

How far you go depends on how confidential your data is and where that data resides. For example, I use DataShield to encrypt my sensitive data. Since the database is encrypted, so are the backups of that database. However, I don't encrypt my contacts or calendar because using them would be a pain and I'm not as worried about the data.

On the fly encryption and decryption doesn't have to be a big impact if it's done smartly. For example, if each contacts record were encrypted separately and you provided a password when turning on the machine, then decrypting on use if done at the system level should not impact performance much at all.

Obviously it's going to depend on the data and where it's stored. If you had a large pdf file on your card, encrypting on the fly might be an issue because the structure isn't conducive to record by record encryption. But if you do encrypt that file, how often are you going to read it. Maybe the decryption delay is worth it.

I keep reading about TealLock but it's more than I need so I never bothered to evaluate it.

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbd View Post
    Sorry if I'm missing the point here. but password protecting entry to the card only protects against someone trying to read the card the standard way. It doesn't save your data if that data is not encrypted because someone can always go to the next lower level and read the raw data
    I wish I understood encryption sufficiently to explain things properly! PGP containers perform as if it is only entry that is password protected, in that there seems no apparent on-the-fly encryption/decryption of their contents. Obviously however their contents are fully protected and are not susceptible to the type of "raw data" access you mention. How it achieves that, and whether such is actually possible on a Palm, I have no idea. For my needs, where for example I use a 2GB directory on my Card to help synchronise confidential work files on my office and home comps, on-the-fly Palm encryption programs, at least the ones I've tried to date, are just way too slow.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    What is needed is a program that, with high level security, password protects entry to the card, not each file on the card, just like the gold-standard of PC security (PGP) can do.
    I like the way that is stated. That's what I'd like to see. I have many folders on the card...only one has data in it that could be exploited by a bad person. Toysoft's SecureCard can handle it ok as the folder is not something I need to access on a regular basis. I also have a folder for my full treo backups from NVBackup...but, they're encrypted and can't be read on the pc (not by me anyway).
    Treo 650 Verizon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12