View Poll Results: Would you show up to protest the lack of support for your $649 Treo 700p?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 53.06%
  • No

    23 46.94%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1.    #1  
    I brought up the idea of actually visiting Palm's headquarters earlier this year in the forums and got quite a bit of response from bay area locals. So, with that in mind, here's my plan. I propose that since Palm has promised us a firmware update for the 700p to fix the outstanding issues by the end of Q1 (which happens to be Saturday, March 31, 2007), that if we don't see a patch, firmware update, or any sort of software to alleviate a single one of these issues we've brought up with them, that on Monday, April 2, 2007, we stage something of a peaceful sit in somewhere like the lobby of palm's corporate headquarters in Sunnyvale until we actually get the features on the device that was promised to use almost 10 months before (in May of 2006).

    Being that the supposed EOL of the 700p is now in May, making the life of the product only 1 year, we essentially have not had the phone we were promised for 10 out of the 12 months of this product's life cycle. For those of you a little fuzzy with math, that equates to 83.3% of the products life cycle. Keep in mind that many of us paid anywhere from $550 to $650 for the phone to get it in May right when it came out. Am I the only one who thinks this is unacceptable?

    And to supposedly be coming out with this Palm "Sherlock", if (and I stress IF) it is indeed a hardware replacement for the 700p, and expecting palm loyalists to pay yet another $500 to $600 (or any money at all for that matter) to buy yet another palm device after the communication and support we have yet to receive from palm for our 700p's (in the time frame of almost 9 whole months) is just absurd.

    So, if you feel as I do, and think this might be a good idea, please feel free to add your thoughts. I want to stress though, that if this happens, it has to be peaceful, and we as consumers have to take the high road. The other option is to pool together for some sort of class action lawsuit (if anyone knows a good lawyer who'd work on this) and try to get Palm's attention that way.

    PS - if Palm truly does monitor these forums, and you feel that this is a bad idea, or you (as in Palm) don't want this to happen, please feel free to contact me at merlyn3d@gmail.com and let me know. I find it shocking that as a corporation you don't realize that all we, your loyal customers, want is an open channel of communication and signs of support. The letter to Bob-C, quite frankly, was disappointing, and we have yet to see anything materialize from it other than the date of release being pushed to maybe April (according to a recent interview with a Palm spokesman). Most of us saw it for what it really was, an attempt to dodge some issues, and the use of words to dance around actually committing to fixing anything really. Your responses, especially about us "power users" making up only a small portion of your customer base, only served to alienate some of us, push others to get blackberries and (non-Palm manufactured) windows mobile devices, and those of us who still have a 700p have pretty much lost faith that Palm can even fix the issues we have.
    Last edited by Merlyn_3D; 03/01/2007 at 02:30 AM.
  2. #2  
    I understand and support the idea of showing up--I can't as I'm on East Coast but I think it is a good idea.

    I think the lawyers would get more attention, frankly (and depressingly...;-( )

    Plam are truly amazing me with their lack of respect for and support of a core customer segment--we've been flipped the big bird so far and I can't wait to see if it's actually inserted (!), meaning no update by EOL of product.

    The only thing that would make me stick w/ Plam after this 3-devices-in-6-months 700p experience (and yes, it's still not functional what w/ lag, loop-'o-death, etc..) is the ability to trade in for the next Plam-OS device be it Sherlock or 750p, whatever name they want (how about Functional p ??) at NO CHARGE or at a HUGE discount.

    Reset and backup well, all.

    David
    Last edited by dhbuckley; 03/01/2007 at 08:42 AM. Reason: typos
  3. #3  
    I will be starting a lawsuit in May (1 year since the broken device was created).

    I would love a chance to visit, but always have to plan my visits to Cali around when my girlfriend and I can go.

    The more I think about this, the more I get pissed off. People were hailing this as a carbon copy of a 650 with more memory and a faster radio... and palm found a way to mess that up.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by areyouwishing View Post
    I will be starting a lawsuit in May (1 year since the broken device was created).

    I would love a chance to visit, but always have to plan my visits to Cali around when my girlfriend and I can go.

    The more I think about this, the more I get pissed off. People were hailing this as a carbon copy of a 650 with more memory and a faster radio... and palm found a way to mess that up.
    Do you know a good lawyer?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    I brought up the idea of actually visiting Palm's headquarters earlier this year in the forums and got quite a bit of response from bay area locals. So, with that in mind, here's my plan. I propose that since Palm has promised us a firmware update for the 700p to fix the outstanding issues by the end of Q1 (which happens to be Saturday, March 31, 2007), that if we don't see a patch, firmware update, or any sort of software to alleviate a single one of these issues we've brought up with them, that on Monday, April 2, 2007, we stage something of a peaceful sit in somewhere like the lobby of palm's corporate headquarters in Sunnyvale until we actually get the features on the device that was promised to use almost 10 months before (in May of 2006).
    I'm in, but only if we show up with torches and pitchforks. If someone has access to tar and feathers, please bring that too....
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  6. #6  
    I can't get there physically, but I'd sure as hell join a class-action lawsuit.

    Take it from me, the only thing that will get Palm's attention is hitting them in the pocketbook.

    Which is why, as much as I love the palm system, I probably won't be purchasing another palm device. I paid over $500 for this thing, but palm just doesn't show much care for us consumers.

    A shame, really, considering that I've spent at least as much in software for the Treo as I have in the phone itself. But Palm appears to me to be just as arrogant and contemptuous as Microsoft, and I'm getting rapidly tired of it. I'm preparing to go into combat, and I don't have the time to mess with their attitude.
  7. #7  
    We can call it Palm's across america instead of hands across america. What if we all email customer service at the same time or something since we are so spread out.
  8. #8  
    I'll show up.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    I'm in, but only if we show up with torches and pitchforks. If someone has access to tar and feathers, please bring that too....

    I live in the midwest so I can bring the feathers

    But it's like I said, we buy a car and expect it to work, we by a toaster and expect it to make toast, and a microwave to cook food and washer to wash clothes, why is this any different?

    90% of the product working is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Its like saying my car works for the most part but my AC shuts off in 45min, or my computer freezes and my car locks up. My washer only loads 10 gallons on water and there is a glitch in the brains and no biggy.

    I mean hell, we paid more for this thing then some major appliances cost.

    Hell, I could have bought a cheap 2nd laptop for almost $400. Sure isn't as mobile, but sure as hell would do what I need it to do.

    Seriously, what is wrong with Palm. I dont spend money to pay for mostly working things and I was pissed off months ago and if this release doesn't work I may just fly down there and then they can re-imburse me for my plane ticket too
  10. #10  
    I'm 1 (one) month away from switching to a Sprint Q.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by IDtheTarget View Post
    I can't get there physically, but I'd sure as hell join a class-action lawsuit.

    Take it from me, the only thing that will get Palm's attention is hitting them in the pocketbook.
    Hitting a cash-strapped company in the pocketbook will cause them to focus on the more profitable products and ditch the problem altogether! They would probally find it easier and cheaper to go the WM6 way...allowing someone else to worry about the OS and they make the hardware. Do this and say bye-bye to a Palm OS Treo if you do! Trust me, I have seen a few of these companies do just that...working in Bankruptcy and Class Action for corporations.
    Last edited by BMIC50; 03/01/2007 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Typo, addition
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Hitting a cash-strapped company in the pocketbook will cause them to focus on the more profitable products and ditch the problem altogether! They would probally find it easier and cheaper to go the WM6 way...allowing someone else to worry about the OS and they make the hardware. Do this and say bye-bye to a Palm OS Treo if you do! Trust me, I have seen a few of these companies do just that...working in Bankruptcy and Class Action for corporations.
    Um...if Palm was solely going to pursue windows mobile, it wouldn't have just shelled over $44 million to regain all rights to GarnetOS.
  13. #13  
    There are a few reasons why Palm may have coughed up 44 mil for the rights to Garnet. First, the sale value of Palm probably increases if it has the rights to the OS locked up. Second that comes to mind would be that Access may have no interest in updating the software and Palm may believe that correcting current problems with the Treo would need to include changes to Garnet.

    My second choice is based on the possibility that the carriers could be voicing concerns over the amount of complaints and exchanges they experience with the Treo line. We can complain all we want and Palm can ignore us but if Verizon and Sprint are rattling their sabers, Palm is going to sit up and take notice.
  14. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #14  
    Wow.... you people need to find better uses of your time. Lawsuits... sit-ins.... over a phone???
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  15. #15  
    Well a lot of people spent very good money on this phone & it has not lived up to the promises it made, so I think they have a right to be angry. I personally have had no real problems with mine(nor did I pay full retail), but I'm about 90% techier than most people so I know what to do when it crashes. The average person doesn't. People SHOUDLNT have to be a nerd to get their phones to work right, they just should to begin with. Like I said, my Palms have treated ME well, but I understand people's anger.
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by fleeing the scene of the accident!
  16. #16  
    Even if suing Palm brought an end to the PalmOS.... why should we care? If it doesn't work reliably now & they're not going to fix it then why do you think we would miss it?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  17. #17  
    I bet merlin3d gets all the laidies.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Um...if Palm was solely going to pursue windows mobile, it wouldn't have just shelled over $44 million to regain all rights to GarnetOS.
    Man, regaining exclusive rights to the *NAME* "Palm" only cost them what - $33 million?

    Well, if they are "cash strapped" now... it's not like they were thinking very clearly when they HAD cash... Had they stuck with the dumb name "PalmOne" (or even "Banana") it really wouldn't have mattered much - people would know who they are.

    Palm seems like the guy who goes out on a drinking and partying binge all month and then cries for pity when he's out of money when the rent comes due. We don't buy the devices because they say "Palm" or "PalmOne" or "CatButt"... we buy them because they work. Sometimes.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    Well a lot of people spent very good money on this phone & it has not lived up to the promises it made, so I think they have a right to be angry. I personally have had no real problems with mine(nor did I pay full retail), but I'm about 90% techier than most people so I know what to do when it crashes. The average person doesn't. People SHOUDLNT have to be a nerd to get their phones to work right, they just should to begin with. Like I said, my Palms have treated ME well, but I understand people's anger.
    Kabuki, You have come over to the Dark Side!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Um...if Palm was solely going to pursue windows mobile, it wouldn't have just shelled over $44 million to regain all rights to GarnetOS.
    But if you hit them with a lawsuit, then they would obviously make the best choice financially and drop the whinny palm boys and pursue the platform that has the best future. I am sure they have the 'intent' on improving the Palm OS, hence the purchase of the rights and all. But youre not going to have a Palm OS if they have to shell out money for a Class Action.

    And a lot of people buy a product/service from the name alone...but the name got there somehow by making a product or service that worked (i.e. Apple, Chevrolet, Toyota, Seidio, Johnson & Johnson). That is why when they release a new product, people jump on board. But the product in the end determines whether they keep those faithful! Do we need to teach a market dynamics class up in here?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions