View Poll Results: Would you show up to protest the lack of support for your $649 Treo 700p?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 53.06%
  • No

23 46.94%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I paid about 70 for my 700p, I don't know about you guys.

Plus the 2 firmware upgrades for the 650 didn't make much of a difference, in my experience. So I don't know why you put so much stuck on the firmware.
    Much of the difference would've depended upon when you bought the 650 and which upgrades you had to do.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I can't get there physically either but I'm here in spirit. Merlyn, you hit the nail on the head with that 'poweruser comment' HOW RUDE! Palm you suck!
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    What you should do is a "virtual" sit-in! Have all the people who cant be there send and SMS at a designated time to all of you that can be there

Then just wait several hours for the SMS to to actually get to you and for the phone to lock up!

Sorry, couldn't resist! Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Then just wait several hours for the SMS to to actually get to you and for the phone to lock up!

Sorry, couldn't resist! Good luck
    Everybody who participates and encounters a lock-up or reset loop during should kindly and individually ask the receptionist if she knows how to fix their phone.
    I have to laugh at this thread. Sure the palm has its quirks. Sometimes my phone freezes in Messaging or takes a while to hang up after a call. But if any of you had come from a Windows Mobile device, you'd be singing PalmOS's praises :lol:

I've had a pile of PDAs and smartphones, and the 700p far eclipses anything else out there in terms of just working. It sucks that it's not perfect, but given that nobody seems to have the whole "expandable smartphone" thing figured out, I'll take what I can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by gijohn View Post
    I'm 1 (one) month away from switching to a Sprint Q.
    please don't switch to the Q!! If the Q were a Palm touch screen. I would say fine. I just got the 700WX (Sprint switched it out for my Treo 700p, but I am not completely happy with the WX either. Palm interface is so smart but as said else where's in this discussion that they messed it up. The 650 after the updates worked so well and really we all thought we were getting a better radio and more memory. But Palm dropped the ball again! They always have from the Palm V to the 515 (either screen or memory they would hold back). Maybe Nokia or Motorola could buy Palm and Access in one coup and give us the product that we want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    I brought up the idea of actually visiting Palm's headquarters earlier this year in the forums and got quite a bit of response from bay area locals. So, with that in mind, here's my plan. I propose that since Palm has promised us a firmware update for the 700p to fix the outstanding issues by the end of Q1 (which happens to be Saturday, March 31, 2007), that if we don't see a patch, firmware update, or any sort of software to alleviate a single one of these issues we've brought up with them, that on Monday, April 2, 2007, we stage something of a peaceful sit in somewhere like the lobby of palm's corporate headquarters in Sunnyvale until we actually get the features on the device that was promised to use almost 10 months before (in May of 2006).

Being that the supposed EOL of the 700p is now in May, making the life of the product only 1 year, we essentially have not had the phone we were promised for 10 out of the 12 months of this product's life cycle. For those of you a little fuzzy with math, that equates to 83.3% of the products life cycle. Keep in mind that many of us paid anywhere from $550 to $650 for the phone to get it in May right when it came out. Am I the only one who thinks this is unacceptable?

And to supposedly be coming out with this Palm "Sherlock", if (and I stress IF) it is indeed a hardware replacement for the 700p, and expecting palm loyalists to pay yet another $500 to $600 (or any money at all for that matter) to buy yet another palm device after the communication and support we have yet to receive from palm for our 700p's (in the time frame of almost 9 whole months) is just absurd.

So, if you feel as I do, and think this might be a good idea, please feel free to add your thoughts. I want to stress though, that if this happens, it has to be peaceful, and we as consumers have to take the high road. The other option is to pool together for some sort of class action lawsuit (if anyone knows a good lawyer who'd work on this) and try to get Palm's attention that way.

PS - if Palm truly does monitor these forums, and you feel that this is a bad idea, or you (as in Palm) don't want this to happen, please feel free to contact me at merlyn3d@gmail.com and let me know. I find it shocking that as a corporation you don't realize that all we, your loyal customers, want is an open channel of communication and signs of support. The letter to Bob-C, quite frankly, was disappointing, and we have yet to see anything materialize from it other than the date of release being pushed to maybe April (according to a recent interview with a Palm spokesman). Most of us saw it for what it really was, an attempt to dodge some issues, and the use of words to dance around actually committing to fixing anything really. Your responses, especially about us "power users" making up only a small portion of your customer base, only served to alienate some of us, push others to get blackberries and (non-Palm manufactured) windows mobile devices, and those of us who still have a 700p have pretty much lost faith that Palm can even fix the issues we have.
    If I lived on the West Coast I would show up! I wish Jeff Hawkins would meet with Palm loyalist's. That is what made Palm a company that it is or what it should be!
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...12&postcount=8

Well, well, well . . . . . . . this must be the 700P ROM fix . . . . . or if it isn't, it will become the 700P ROM fix.

The ROM update for the 700P will therefore have to be out before 5/14/07 -- for if it isn't -- I will probably not be the first in line to say -- do not give a replacement 700P -- for it will have the same issues -- give me the 755.

(However, I still believe the ROM update will be out in March.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 03/06/2007 at 01:55 PM.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...12&postcount=8

Well, well, well . . . . . . . this must be the 700P ROM fix . . . . . or if it isn't, it will become the 700P ROM fix.

The ROM update for the 700P will therefore have to be out before 5/14/07 -- for if it isn't -- I will probably not be the first in line to say -- do not give a replacement 700P -- for it will have the same issues -- give me the 755.

(However, I still believe the ROM update will be out in March.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Man, I tell you, there had better be a trade-in program where us 700p users only have to pay like $20 to trade up to the 755. Everyone already knows how absurd I think this whole 700p situation is, it's one of Palm's worst mistakes, and if they alienate their users by not upgrading them to a 755 after all the issues they had to endure, then they will lost their users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Man, I tell you, there had better be a trade-in program where us 700p users only have to pay like $20 to trade up to the 755. Everyone already knows how absurd I think this whole 700p situation is, it's one of Palm's worst mistakes, and if they alienate their users by not upgrading them to a 755 after all the issues they had to endure, then they will lost their users.
    I guess I'd better start filling the Customer Service notes with complaints!
    I\'m 1 (one) month away from switching to a Sprint Q.
    Why? The Q is total junk. The 700p has flaws but the Q is worthless.
    Worthless? Could you please elaborate?
    Worthless? Could you please elaborate?
    I have a number of friends with Qs, and they all hate them. Windows Mobile has so many issues, I would be shocked if the Q, or any other phone, "gets it right" and works well with it. Windows Mobile is made for PDAs, and it does a good job there. But the phone integration is ****-poor in my opinion. I had constant issues with numerous XV6700s.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Wow.... you people need to find better uses of your time. Lawsuits... sit-ins.... over a phone???
    For many of us, the Treo is a business device. For those of us in that situation, our time is one of the most important commodities we have.

If you have suffered with the issues the Treo 700p has (for me, most notably is the SMS text-freeze that can cost 3-5 minutes every time it happens before your phone unfreezes), then you understand why many would wish to use our time to hit Palm hard for not supporting their product. Many of us would consider this a great use of our time considering all the lost time/productivity Palm has cost us with a product that does not deliver what it advertises, and then blows off its customer base with vague promises of "we'll get around to fixing it...eventually".

Do you know the reason that corporations can continue to churn out product that fails to meet up to its claims, and still survive? That reason is found in many people like you who tell us to get over it and move on. If we accept what we're given, even for just one model of Treo before going to another product, Palm has made one more sale. If it can be communicated to Palm just how much business they are going to lose through bad publicity, and how many lost sales and frustrated customers they really have, it might change their business strategy. If not, it may at least serve as a warning to others considering their product.

I don't know that I could make it to Sunnyvale --but if this is pulled off, I'd encourage those who attend to ensure that some news coverage is on-hand for the event. It may add fuel to the fire.

EDIT: For all those thinking of switching to a Q --I wouldn't recommend it. After testing it, I found that it's extremely limited in its abilities if you wish to run applications, so if you're used to having apps on your Treo, it's a bad choice. Its version of Windows Mobile is different than a phone like the 700w as well, so it won't even run all Windows Mobile apps, and it doesn't have a built-in Memo Pad, so you'll have to purchase a third-party solution. I found the interface (like many WM devices currently on the market) to be clunky (though not as disorganized as the 700w).

The sad truth is, there is no perfect smartphone out there; the best I've seen so far is the Treo 650 with the 1.05a ROM update. The point to all of this is, though that a product should work as advertised, and if it doesn't, the company should remedy its errors. So far, that hasn't happened with the Treo 700p, and there is no guarantee it will. People have spent money on a product that hasn't worked the way it ought to (or is promoted to) from day one, and that simply isn't fair to them.
    Last edited by LoneWolf15; 03/07/2007 at 09:48 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12