Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle16 View Post
    but then again if you wanted a long battery life phone you wouldn't have bought the 680

Besides being silly, that's nonsense. That's like saying if you didn't want the camera patch you wouldn't have bought the 680. These are defects in design. It was not sold as inferior to the 650, but equal or better. If Palm had said, "not only does it have a smaller battery, but we were unable to design it more efficiently, so beware, this phone does not have sufficient battery power," well, then, you'd be right. I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Besides being silly, that's nonsense. That's like saying if you didn't want the camera patch you wouldn't have bought the 680. These are defects in design. It was not sold as inferior to the 650, but equal or better. If Palm had said, "not only does it have a smaller battery, but we were unable to design it more efficiently, so beware, this phone does not have sufficient battery power," well, then, you'd be right. I suppose.
    but Palm told you from the get-go that it would have 2 less hours of talk-time than the 650 (33%!)....that right there tells me that its either less efficient or its a battery with a lower mAh.....i think in the end its both.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle16 View Post
    but Palm told you from the get-go that it would have 2 less hours of talk-time than the 650 (33%!)....that right there tells me that its either less efficient or its a battery with a lower mAh.....i think in the end its both.
    I'm no expert, obviously. But simple old logic says...

Slimmer, sleeker body = slimmer, sleeker battery to fit slimmer, sleeker body
    Slimmer, sleeker battery = (probably) lower capacity
    Lower capacity = lower battery lifespan

Frankly, I don't know why technology isn't available to produce a 2000+mAh battery with the same size as the OEM battery to aleviate this issue to a great extent. Maybe someday...
    I have run a 680 and a 650 side by side both with 2400mah batteries. After installing the battery patch I get identical results. Now that being said I have had to re-calibrate the battery on the 680 one or twice. So to get the sleaker form factor the battery size had to be reduced. The battery is half the physical size but 2/3 the capacity of the 650. Palm did notify us this change in the talk time. Ugly or not if you need more battery you are outside the norm that this device was designed for and an extended battery is the solution. Palm intended this model for the entry level users. I never heard anything different from Palm. Of the 10 or so people I know outside these forums who did buy the 680 as an entry level Treo the battery life hasn't been a big issue for them. A couple of them get 4-5 days per charge but they use them as a phone and a planner but no email etc. I cannot get through a day on the standard battery either. 12 hours is the max I have ever gotten, but ususally 6-8 hours. So the 2400 does get me through a day now but I value my battery life more than the look. If I ever really want it smaller I can still get by just switching back.

I don't think you are going to see a 2000 mah slim battery, too much heat will be created and no none wants to Treos catching fire.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    I...
    Frankly, I don't know why technology isn't available to produce a 2000+mAh battery with the same size as the OEM battery ......
    Exactly, that's why it's nonsensical to say that we should be experts ourselves. Marketing this as the successor to the 650 says to the customer that they have done that or something similar to it to produce equivalent or better results, not worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    ... Palm intended this model for the entry level users. ....
    No, that's not what they said to their public.
    No, that's not what they said to their public.
    So what they said was Treo 650 users this is an upgrade for you? In multiple interviews Palm has stated this model was designed to have a lower price point, appealing to the feature phone user. In these same interviews they talked about the battey life being less than the 650/700, but needed to make the Treo smaller.

Granted it is the upgrade that GSM 650 users have to choose from but 650/700 users were not who they designed this model for.

I equate this to the Tungsten series where the 650/700 have been the T3,T5,TX the 680 is the E, E2.

One such interview:
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Interviews? Interviews? I don't watch interviews, I buy products. Look at the ads.
  9.    #149  
    A good rule of thumb is to never log in when you have had one too many chardonnays....you would think I should have something better to do on a Friday night... Hope you are all happy out there in TREO land. mdavis...please say something negative, you have been far too pleasant lately. This is not just a feeble attempt to get one of my all time favourite threads back on top either, no sirrey.
    You and I both know that the battery life sucks, and that it sucks because Palm screwed up and sold a piece of crap--as far as the power circuitry and everything else associated with it is concerned. As far as a lot of other features, I have never complained much about the rest. There is an interrelationship, unfortunately. I really like my plantronics stereo headset, but because BT sucks power worse than Chatter, I can't really enjoy it much. To say nothing about the sucky interface and BT app which can't function seamlessly with the phone. It's so pleasant passing through an airport, hanging up the phone, then turning it upside down, pulling off the back, lifting the battery, and battening up again, just to keep the headset working. All the other people in the terminal are just happily pushing buttons and I'm disassembling my entire phone just to say good bye.
  11.    #151  
    You and I both know that the battery life sucks, and that it sucks because Palm screwed up and sold a piece of crap--as far as the power circuitry and everything else associated with it is concerned. As far as a lot of other features, I have never complained much about the rest. There is an interrelationship, unfortunately. I really like my plantronics stereo headset, but because BT sucks power worse than Chatter, I can't really enjoy it much. To say nothing about the sucky interface and BT app which can't function seamlessly with the phone. It's so pleasant passing through an airport, hanging up the phone, then turning it upside down, pulling off the back, lifting the battery, and battening up again, just to keep the headset working. All the other people in the terminal are just happily pushing buttons and I'm disassembling my entire phone just to say good bye.
    ahhh, thankyou.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    So what they said was Treo 650 users this is an upgrade for you? In multiple interviews Palm has stated this model was designed to have a lower price point, appealing to the feature phone user. In these same interviews they talked about the battey life being less than the 650/700, but needed to make the Treo smaller.

Granted it is the upgrade that GSM 650 users have to choose from but 650/700 users were not who they designed this model for.

I equate this to the Tungsten series where the 650/700 have been the T3,T5,TX the 680 is the E, E2.

One such interview:
    I am glad it's a lower price point, but it IS an upgrade.

No antenna
    64M of ram (MUCH more dbcache and heap space)
    64M of flash rom (if anyone ever gets in there to make it useful
    Better form
    Better keyboard
    Yes, it is an upgrade, they said it was an upgrade and they also said, "this will knock the socks off any other smartphone," in the Palm press release from November 12, 2006. I'm not sure what they meant by that but the battery life sucks. I'm not sure what all this other blather is all about. If it isn't an upgrade, despite Palm's "knock the socks off" comment, does that mean the battery life will last longer? Somehow, what you call it just doesn't impress me as much as the niggardly battery life.
    I can take my phone off the charger, literally not even use it, and it goes down to 90% in less than 5 minutes. The rest of the day is hell. Need a charger at work, in the car, at home. Believe me I consider my use "minimal".

I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING THAT EVERYONE HAS ADVISED. BUYER BEWARE.
    ~* Peace
  15.    #155  
    If you have done everything here http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=dig%27s, and your battery drains in less than a day with minimal use, then your phone is faulty and you should return it.
    That's my case... minimal use... it loses 10% an hour... I have hard reset and in piecemeal form re-install my s/w... and I may have to do that again...

MY BRO borrow my phone in europe and THE BATTERY LIFE WAS GREAT...

o_O
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    1. Thanks to DIG. I am going to try his outlined recommendations.

2. To jmg_P1OS21, excuse my ignorance, but why would the battery function be better in Europe.
    ~* Peace
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=142058

I have no idea but that's exactly what my brother experienced with my T680... o_O
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
  19.    #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin View Post
    1. Thanks to DIG. I am going to try his outlined recommendations.

2. To jmg_P1OS21, excuse my ignorance, but why would the battery function be better in Europe.
    Hi, I hope it helps. Please post your experience, particularly what you notice with step 1. ie. Does your TREO cut out when the battery hits 0% or does it hang on.
    After reading this forum for months (and having bought my unlocked graphite Treo on the first possible day), I felt like I had to comment.

I followed the instructions on upgrading from "old" Palm TX to the Treo680. One app I beamed directly from the TX to the Palm -- the Palm keyboard app. However, I didn't use the dang thing between Dec. and mid-March.

>>>When I used the keyboard for the first time on the treo, I discovered the app had been in the "ON" position for roughly four months. My poor TREO had been desperately seeking keyboard. I had thoughtlessly assumed that having beam-receive off would also disable the keyboard.

***In summary, when I turned the keyboard app "OFF," my power usage went from 10%/hour to 20% or less for the whole day.

Well, duh, of course it would. But I figured 10%/hour was not crazy since I had been reading all these posts. I haven't seen anyone else as dumb as I was, so I thought I'd post and let everyone know this is another (possibly overlooked) power drain.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast