Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Oddly enough, I don't seem to be getting nearly the same battery life from my new Crimson 680 as I did with my Graphite one, even though I have done the same "fixes" to it. I have done the OTA battery patch from Palm, I have done two total-drain/full-charge routines, plus I have every everything "OFF" (Bluetooth, beam, etc.) that would drain the battery prematurely. I have actually done everything to my Crimson that I did to my Graphite...except the drain/reset/charge "Chicken Dance", although I might try that next...

I am not a "power user" like many here are, and don't have loads of software apps in the phone yet. I still have 50% or better of charge left right at bedtime each night, which isn't horrible...but not the same 70-75% I had left on my Graphite at the same time. I don't think I could go two full days on a charge in my current status with the Crimson like I could on the Graphite.

I'm not freaking out, but I wouldn't mind some more battery life than what I am getting either. I really love my Crimson, and I am stuck with it now since I returned the Graphite one to Cingular yesterday...so, I need to make this one all it can be!!

Is there something I am not doing, or am missing...?
    Because you are not a heavy user, this suggests that you have a higher standby drain rate (and can determine this by following the suggestions in the first post in the thread). If I were you, I would work this out as it gives you an idea of how your 680 uses up battery with no unnecessary activity. If it is high overnight (more than 1% per hour) after a soft reset just before tucking it into bed, then it is underperforming - and you either have to live with it, work out why (eg. dodgy battery), or send it back. Alternatively, if it is very good after a soft reset (eg. 0.5% per hour overnight), but starts to drop more rapidly during the course of the day, then you should consider The Glen Phenomenon.

Have a listen to the back speaker - is it hissing?
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post

Have a listen to the back speaker - is it hissing?
    Ummm...no. The speaker is not hissing. What does that have to do with anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by stevestr View Post
    It is? That's not how I initially remember it being positioned. The upgrade for the 650 should be a 700. In all the initial Palm PRPRPR $on$ $the$ $680$ $they$ $clearly$ $called$ $this$ $an$ $entry$ $level$ $Treo$ $to$ $get$ $more$ $of$ $the$ $masses$ $interested$ $in$ $the$ $Treo$ $line$.
    I completely agree with you, Stevestr. But a lot of folks here at TC do not see it that way. They are convinced the 680 is a professional phone. I bet if Palm had been smart and released a GSM 700p this wouldn't be an issue and everyone would agree the 680 is an entry level device. Sadly Palm didn't and therefore we don't.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
    Quote Originally Posted by stevestr View Post
    It is? That's not how I initially remember it being positioned. The upgrade for the 650 should be a 700. In all the initial Palm PRPRPR $on$ $the$ $680$ $they$ $clearly$ $called$ $this$ $an$ $entry$ $level$ $Treo$ $to$ $get$ $more$ $of$ $the$ $masses$ $interested$ $in$ $the$ $Treo$ $line$.
    That's simply not so. There is nothing that Palm says that the 700 and not the 680 is an upgrade to the 650, nor, more importantly, that the 680 is less useful than the 650 (in fact they say "expect MORE" about the 680). Their comparison chart and their product descriptions of the 680 says nothing about the 680 being an "entry level Treo."
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    That's simply not so. There is nothing that Palm says that the 700 and not the 680 is an upgrade to the 650, nor, more importantly, that the 680 is less useful than the 650 (in fact they say "expect MORE" about the 680). Their comparison chart and their product descriptions of the 680 says nothing about the 680 being an "entry level Treo."
    it was entry level in terms of the pricing level in comparison to previous Treo's at launch........
  6.    #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Ummm...no. The speaker is not hissing. What does that have to do with anything?
    Occasionally mine does that and it seems to be at times when the battery drain rate is higher than normal (eg. when stricken by the glen phenomenon). I have seen other posts about the back speaker hissing, sometimes only when buttons are pressed. I am wondering if this is a sign that something is active that shouldnt be, hence the higher battery drain. The other day it happened to me and it was quite noticable (I was playing bejewelled at the time). I checked battery graph and the drain rate had been higher than normal (for the whole day). I switched off, then on, the GSM radio, suspecting it may have been the glen phenomenon, and it stopped hissing and the drain rate returned to normal. At this stage, this is just anecdotal evidence, I havent tried to test it more carefully.
    Battery life sucks, plain and simple. There are no silver bullet conditioning, recharging fixes. We got sold a bill of goods. Palm is dead to me - anxiously awaiting either OpenMoko or the iPhone, maybe both!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    Battery life sucks, plain and simple. ... We got sold a bill of goods. ...
    Interesting.
    anyone try the 1380 mAh battery from LIONBATTERY.com?
    Weak and lame, STINKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to charge it literally, at work, at home and in the car. Every day. Runs down in a few hours.
    ~* Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    This is almost certainly NOT the way, the patch works.

The patch installs a new version of a specific camera library into RAM. When the camera application is started (and remember, Palm instructs us to use it at least one time), it loads the new library from RAM and uses that code instead of the broken one in ROM. That's about it. No busy looping or something like that...

Greetings!
    Hello,

I haven't looked inside the new library. I would be interested to see if the new phones that don't need the patch have the same files as a post patch older phone. If it doesn't have the same camera files, then I would think adding the patch could possibly be detrimental. Either way, I try not to patch software that doesn't need it.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    It doesn't follow that a 680 with a new ROM would have the same files as those with the old ROM and the camera update fix.

It is totally routine in software development to issue a patch which is quick to develop and test, then follow it up later with a better, perhaps totally different, solution after more thorough testing has occurred.
    Interesting.
    He's been reading your posts, mdavis. In fact, that's borderline copycat!

Just a follow up to my above post. I have done a full-drain-to-shutdown/reset/full-charge for the second time...and the battery seems to have come up to the level of my past Graphite phone. I had 71% charge left last night at 11:00pm...and that was approximately after 17-or so hours after coming off the charger yesterday morning at 99% charge showing on the meter. Not too bad...

I made 15 or so calls, spent an hour on the internet, replied to five emails, and still had 71% left...that is a definate increase. I think it would probabaly go another day without a charge if I had to.
    Last edited by davistld01; 03/29/2007 at 07:01 AM.
    I had 16.26 hours on mine yesterday, which is probably the most I've ever had--and this is after a couple of months with the 1300 mah battery. I think it may have given me 45 minutes or so extra time. That's not disastrous, even compared with the 650, just bad, so I suppose I should be happy.
    that's funny -- believe it or not, I stayed out too late night before last & my 680 was dead for the long subway ride home, and I started thinking, "that mdavis has a point!"
    Quote Originally Posted by bmeskin View Post
    Weak and lame, STINKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to charge it literally, at work, at home and in the car. Every day. Runs down in a few hours.
    Bullshart. My wifes 680 ran 2 days off the first charge, 3 now. If she forgets, it'll be nearly dead but still alive at 4 days.

I use mine constantly and have online email and IM and it lasts 15h at least. If I top it off during lunch it's down to around 50% when I go to bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I use mine constantly and ... it lasts 15h at least. ....
    This is my experience also. Maybe 16 hours with everything going relatively full blast. I find that, however, only marginally satisfactory. To be honest if I could squeeze--reliably--2 more hours out of each day I would be a happy 680 owner. So we get the same results but apparently not the same satisfaction. I can tell you this is just enough below what the 650 gives to make it a less reliable phone. And, apparently you have the ability to top it off during the day. I don't usually have that option. It is maddening to end a long work day wondering if you're going to make it (as opposed to smiling comfortably at the assurance that you know you'll get home with 2 hours showing).
    Well if you're almost happy, but not quite = get the 1300mAh battery (no change in battery size)...

Or if you're just not pleased at all OR you're a usage freak = spend the $40 and get the 2400mAh (only 4-5mm thicker and 100% more battery life)...

Before ranting and raving about the battery, make sure you have performed the following:

**Apply the camera patch (if necessary)

**Fully charge/discharge the phone at least 2-3 times

**Perform the battery meter reset procedure
    :
    1. Connect your Treo to a wall charger.

2. Remove the battery from the Treo and wait for at least one minute.

3. Remove the SIM card from the device and wait for another minute.

4. Put the battery back into the device (without the SIM card) then let your Treo charge for at least 4 to 6 hours and for this duration:

o
    Do NOT press any key after reinserting the battery.
    o
    Do NOT switch your TREO On or Off either, it will do so automatically after a short time.
    o
    Do NOT enter the SIM card PIN if prompted to do so, just wait!

After doing all of those things, i now have very reasonable battery life. Not even considering an extended battery at this point
    Last edited by kyle16; 03/30/2007 at 08:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle16 View Post
    Well if you're almost happy, but not quite = get the 1300mAh battery ...
    I have the 1300mah battery. It just isn't enough. And if I wanted a fat unattractive phone, I would not have bought the 680.
    I have the 1300mah battery. It just isn't enough. And if I wanted a fat unattractive phone, I would not have bought the 680.
    but then again if you wanted a long battery life phone you wouldn't have bought the 680

i'm hoping that subsequent firmware releases (if they ever get around to them) will extend the battery life a bit further....but we'll see.