Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    Have you considered that it may be due to "The Glen Phenomenon"?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=138460
    9 hours draining at 2-3% per hour would give you a 25% drop. Try a soft reset to see if it fixes it. If it does, then I reckon this may be your problem.
    HI,
    I was thinking about calls that I had I do seem to remember not hanging up on at least one call.. not sure if its the last one though.
    I have called the phone and hung up as suggested in the link you provided.

I will post later today to let you know if it has gone back to normal.

Thanks for you help.

Andmann
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    That is what a lot of the complaints are about, and that's what mine is.
    you don't say!

did you happen to notice where davistld01 remarked

And, if I find something that I just am totally bummed by (phone, car...anything), I usually just replace it with something else that is at least more satisfactory.
    if the 680 made me a tenth as miserable as it seems to be making you, I'd get another device.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield View Post
    ... I'd get another device.
    Okay, now we know what you would do. It's good to share.
    Okay, now we know what you would do. It's good to share.
    hey it's only fair. 999,999,999 more and I'll have caught up with how many messages you've posted about how miserable the battery life makes you.

why not just buy another battery? not a jumbo sized, or for a 650 -- just, another battery, which you keep charged and carry with you on the road. think it's safe to say that might stand a chance of doubling the useable between-charge life of your Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield View Post
    why not just buy another battery? ...
    I have THREE extra batteries.
    i just tried fully draining and fully charging my battery to "calibrate" it and i can report that indeed the drain appears to be less. last night after fully recharging it and turning the phone function off, 9 hours later it still registers at 99% charged. in the past, it would have drained to 90% or so by now. when i drained it i put bluetooth on, beam receive on, and full brightness playing videos until it drained off. it only lasted for about 5-6 minutes after 0% until it died but that still shows calibration was off.

i might have spoken too soon though, as after a 2 minute phone call, the battery is now at 97%. i guess calls really do a lot of drain.

my question is, if i now buy a spare battery, will calibration be off again? is the calibration specific for each battery? or as long as i buy a battery of the same capacity it should be the same?

i imagine if i buy spare 2400 mAH it's going to give me lots of low battery warnings which is going to be annoying. i may just buy the regular capacity spares. if that's the case, where do you recommend buying OEM batteries for cheap? the only problem i see is when swapping out batteries the rebooting process takes FOREVER.
    Last edited by UKingdom; 03/18/2007 at 01:43 PM.
    I have found calibration to be off whenever I replace the battery, but sometimes not seriously, and other times it doesn't matter much because it is just a stopgap for the remaining hours of the day.
    After continued problems with battery life, I went into two Cingular stores, and the reps at both recommended I request a warranty exchange. I have the Seidio slim battery and still am not getting great results. Sometimes fine, other days, really erratic and poor. I was down to 5% at like 20 hours with none other than one 5 minute phone call, no BT or data usage. One hour off the charger with no calls and I'm at 88%. I've done all the tricks, the camera patch, etc. I also only have my screen brightness at 25 %. When I called the warranty department, the rep of course tried to cite all those things, and I was like, hello, been there done that, that's why I'm calling now after 4 months of dealing with this. I've had a 600 and 650, neither of which ever had to be replaced. In fact, I am using my 650 right now. Well, fingers crossed that in my case it is a hardware problem with my specific device. Other people here are getting much, much better battery life that I can live with. So hopefully my replacement device will work better. It should be arriving today or tomorrow.
    after the calibration and one day of good battery life, today for some reason it was awful. it was 86% at the start of the day, and by the end of the day (NO USE AT ALL), it was dead. when i turned it on it was 6%...5 minutes later it wouldn't even turn on. This has never happened before. So either...

1) Calibration was off again
    2) I noticed I had weak to no signal most of the day. Could searching for a signal be a huge drain on battery life? This is the only thing I can come up with. Makes intuitive sense. I am very disappointed by signal reception on this phone. I guess putting the antenna internally made it aesthetically better but not functionally.
    3) It must have accidentally turned on, but even if it did it should autoshutoff.

My guess was maybe it was a combination of all of the 3. but my question to all of you is do you notice increased battery drain in poor signal strength areas or situations?

One thing that made no sense to me too was after it died, I took it home and started charging it up using the wall charger. Upon unplugging it, (it was at 99-100% fully charged), it IMMEDIATELY dropped down to 92%. What the heck is going on? I've never seen a device with so many battery issues!
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by UKingdom View Post
    after the calibration and one day of good battery life, today for some reason it was awful. it was 86% at the start of the day, and by the end of the day (NO USE AT ALL), it was dead. when i turned it on it was 6%...5 minutes later it wouldn't even turn on. This has never happened before. So either...

1) Calibration was off again
    2) I noticed I had weak to no signal most of the day. Could searching for a signal be a huge drain on battery life? This is the only thing I can come up with. Makes intuitive sense. I am very disappointed by signal reception on this phone. I guess putting the antenna internally made it aesthetically better but not functionally.
    3) It must have accidentally turned on, but even if it did it should autoshutoff.

My guess was maybe it was a combination of all of the 3. but my question to all of you is do you notice increased battery drain in poor signal strength areas or situations?

One thing that made no sense to me too was after it died, I took it home and started charging it up using the wall charger. Upon unplugging it, (it was at 99-100% fully charged), it IMMEDIATELY dropped down to 92%. What the heck is going on? I've never seen a device with so many battery issues!
    Hi
    I notice that when I am in a no signal zone with phone radio on, my drain rate is about 1 to 1.5% per hour (compared to 0.5% per hour when I have 3-4 signal bars), so this is a significant difference over the day, but I cant imagine it would cost you 85% in 12 hours or so.

I would suggest you see if this erratic behavior repeats before reaching any conclusions, but one thing to try before your next day is a soft reset, just in case some bug in your 680 is keeping something on all day. Dropping from 6% to dead in 5 minutes is obviously terrible performance. If the soft reset fixes it, you might have a chance to notice what triggers the problem next time if it happens again. Are you using just the one battery or switching between 2?

The drop immediately after charging has been noticed by many. Have a look here for an explanation (check out point number 4 in the first post). http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=138463
    Found out what was cause such a major change in my battery usage.
    Some how, my IR was turned on.. I don't even use it, never have so I have no idea how.

Now today it was back to normal.
    It was 99% at 10:30pm last night, at 7:30am this morning it was at 96% not 80.
    After a couple of phone calls and some PIM work and an alarm it was at 81% at 6pm.

Feww,, I thought something nasty had happened to be blowing as much as it was with the IR on.

Thanks for you pointers..
    I'm into my 4th month of 680-ownership. I think the machine is a vast improvement over the 650 in several ways. But the battery situation is disastrous.

I have followed the many, varied (and all useful) suggestions on these boards, but am still unable to get my battery charged above 97 per cent. Whatever I do, the charge maxes out at 97%, and rapidly runs down during the course of what I would consider a moderate-use day. (Bluetooth, Beam etc are all set to the "off" position...so they're not draining the thing).

There is never a day - no matter how little I use the phone - that I don't have to charge it up overnight. Even on a day when I haven't made a single phone call or used e-mail or SMS.

The bottom line is that Palm either needs to make new, longer-lasting batteries available to everyone via a product recall; or stop making claims about 300 hours in standby mode; or we all have to get used to charging the phone on a constant basis.

Again, I think the phone is terrific. I wouldn't trade it. But the battery situation is a major problem that Palm needs to acknowledge and address.
    Quote Originally Posted by smksat12 View Post
    Again, I think the phone is terrific. I wouldn't trade it. But the battery situation is a major problem that Palm needs to acknowledge and address.
    That seems to be the concensus of the majority of folks here.
    I continue to say that my battery is Fine. About 70% remaining on a light day and about 40% on a really heavy day. Of course if I play bejeweled for an hour somewhere, that will do alot of extra damage but hey, I was using it for an hour.... so what else would I expect.

I do feel bad for the people who do seem to be having real problems though. It sounds more like a carrier specific problem though since I have not seen a single T-mobile person complain about the gibberish and freezing issue. Just thinking out loud......
    Last edited by bigcatny; 03/21/2007 at 09:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by smksat12 View Post
    ... the battery situation is disastrous.

That's true. I don't know about the consensus.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    I continue to say that my battery is Fine.

You're obviously not a consensus sort of cat.

... It sounds more like a carrier specific problem though since I have not seen a single T-mobile person complain about the gibberish and freezing issue. ......
    You seem to be mixing Treos and apples. The battery problem is not carrier specific. It's a Treo problem and plenty of TMO people end up charging every day and carrying one or two spare batteries around. You are also not a heavy user, so this could be just the phone for you. But, although I don't play games, I don't know why playing a game for one single hour could cause what you call "heavy damage." Sounds like the phone (or, its power management) just isn't up to its task.
    You seem to be mixing Treos and apples. The battery problem is not carrier specific. It's a Treo problem and plenty of TMO people end up charging every day and carrying one or two spare batteries around. You are also not a heavy user, so this could be just the phone for you. But, although I don't play games, I don't know why playing a game for one single hour could cause what you call "heavy damage." Sounds like the phone (or, its power management) just isn't up to its task.
    Your right, perhaps I was not specific enough. The t-mo stuff was referring to the gibberish and phone freezing thing NOT the battery thing.

When referring to heavy damage I mean about 10% to 15% battery drain. That's pretty heavy compared to the normal 1-2%/hour normal drain rate.

As for being a heavy user: I think I have a reasonable useage pattern especially for this CONSUMER phone. I pull email every 15 minutes all day, I speak probably about 1 to 2 hours a day and I play games or surf when I'm on the subway or waiting around so at the end of a day, I have about half my battery or more left. For a machine that does as much as this does with a bright color screen, that's very reasonable performance. It certainly lasts longer than my notebooks 6 hour battery and it does almost as much.

What exactly are you doing where your blowing through 2 batteries on a daily basis?

What exactly are you doing where your blowing through 2 batteries on a daily basis?
    Exactly what I did with my 650: email all day long, because I need it for my business. Attachments on and off, Document review and modest composition, Moderate, never heavy, phone usage ( 10-20 calls a day, none more than 5 minutes maximum), weather forecasts, air schedules, google maps for taxis in different cities, P Tunes while waiting for flights, 2 foreign dictionary and thesaurus usage every day, text messages, perhaps 20 per day, and the list goes on.

As a phone, this machine is fine and its battery usage is fine as a phone. But this is not a phone. It is a computer as well, and I do use the computer functions. Finally, you are repeating what others have said as if it were an extra battery (that, is, as if it fixes the problem): this is a "consumer" phone. What phone is not a consumer phone? When you buy it, you've consumes the sale. They are all consumer phones. If you're saying, well, this wasn't meant to be as good as the 650, well, I beg to differ. It's 30 better. If you don't know where that comes from, watch Spinal Tap. But it is 30 better.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    From what I've read on this thread...the battery is the culprit of our fast battery drain and high capacity batteries won't exactly solve our problem. I was thinking of getting the Seido 1300mah battery. (I don't want to get more accessories cause I bought the 2400 size; already bought my wonderful hybrid case from Seido.) I guess I can try the 1300 and return it if it doesn't work for me.
    Handspring Visor 2mb; Visor Prism; Palm i705; Tungsten2; VZW Treo650; TMO Crimson Treo680; iPhone 3g on TMO edge
    Exactly what I did with my 650: email all day long, because I need it for my business. Attachments on and off, Document review and modest composition, Moderate, never heavy, phone usage ( 10-20 calls a day, none more than 5 minutes maximum), weather forecasts, air schedules, google maps for taxis in different cities, P Tunes while waiting for flights, 2 foreign dictionary and thesaurus usage every day, text messages, perhaps 20 per day, and the list goes on.
    I have to say that your usage sounds quite a bit higher than what one might reasonably expect most users to be doing. It's not surprising then that you are blowing through the batteries like nobody's business.

For me, I'm just amazed that they have packed so much capability into something so incredibly small and like the early days of notebooks, obviously battery capacity is still lagging the rest of the technology. That said, if I need to carry around a 1 ounce battery as a trade-off to not needing to haul around 4 or 5 pounds of computer equipment a phone and a palm then I think that's reasonable and so does my shoulder. Of course in my case I don't even need to extra battery so perhaps that just adds to my satisfaction with this device.

Just a thought but have you considered making adjustments to your usage in light of the 30% smaller capacity?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast