Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    Strange - is it something you see every time? It doesnt happen to me - my battery meter is very consistent - idle drain rate (between midnight and 7AM ish) is the same whether in the top 50 or the bottom 50% (see photo in the 'DIG's 4 tips' thread). I would probably suggest that if it happens every time, it might be worth trying to recalibrate the meter - no idea if that will help, but it is worth a try.
    I've got a day off tomorrow (Thank God!!!) so I will have an opportunity to let it drain again and do a total recharge...just to see if it happens again. I don't guess it couldn't hurt. Might even help...
  2. tck
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    After doing the battery calibration (drain till it turn off) for the second time, here are my observations on the 2nd day :

1) when I unplug immediately when LED turns green (after overnite charging), I get 99%, instead of 98%

2) battery level stays longer at max (ie 99%).

3) at the end of work day, 7pm, battery level is about 70% to 75% compared to 50% to 60%

I make/received :
    - on low days, 0 to 5 1 minute calls*
    - on average days, 20 to 30 1 minute calls
    - on busy days 30 to 40 1 minute calls

Basing on the past two days (about 30 1 minute calls), these are improvements to me. However, I will still charge my unit nightly, as I dont want any surprises on the 2nd day.

I would recommend Treo 680 users to do this battery calibration (drain till it turn off), if you are not satisfied with battery performance.

*My call monitor application will register a 30sec call as 1 minute.
    Last edited by tck; 03/08/2007 at 06:20 AM.
    Mine seems to go up a bit at the last 50%. But that's too anecdotal for me to put much credit in it.
    Not trying to beat the battery issue to death...any more than it has been...

But, I just got a new Crimson 680 from Cingular...to replace my Graphite, and want to get the whole "meter calibration" drain/full-charge routine down from the start since it worked on the Graphite one so well. But, I can't seem to get it to die....

Seriously, from the meter reading 0% last night before midnight...and me ignoring the "low battery" and "extremely low battery" pop-ups asking me to charge...it has gone now almost eight hours and still has power!!! I am amazed at how poorly the meter was set out of the box for accuracy. The Graphite phone held on for an additional four hours as I remember after reading 0%...but eight hours??? I guess I would be thankful if I was stranded somewhere without a charger and this happened...but I really wish it would go ahead and die so I could stick it on a charger and get on with my day!!!

how many volts does your treo record at 100% charge? mine gets about 4.20v and it does well and holds 99% charge over 2 hours without activity with phone on.

i also noticed that sometimes it will just hold 4.13v and it will drain from 99% to 93% very quickly.

what i do is after a FULL charge, with the unit plugged, i soft erset my device and the voltage reading will read 4.20v when it is fully charged again.

how about the others?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    how many volts does your treo record at 100% charge? mine gets about 4.20v and it does well and holds 99% charge over 2 hours without activity with phone on.

i also noticed that sometimes it will just hold 4.13v and it will drain from 99% to 93% very quickly.

what i do is after a FULL charge, with the unit plugged, i soft erset my device and the voltage reading will read 4.20v when it is fully charged again.

how about the others?
    Hey, johnj2803...n00b question here, but how do I check the voltage? When I get done with this charge (if I ever get a chance to ), I'll report back.
    i have zlauncher and i check it there

you can also use filez, which is a freeware app
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Not trying to beat the battery issue to death...any more than it has been...

But, I just got a new Crimson 680 from Cingular...to replace my Graphite, and want to get the whole "meter calibration" drain/full-charge routine down from the start since it worked on the Graphite one so well. But, I can't seem to get it to die....

Seriously, from the meter reading 0% last night before midnight...and me ignoring the "low battery" and "extremely low battery" pop-ups asking me to charge...it has gone now almost eight hours and still has power!!! I am amazed at how poorly the meter was set out of the box for accuracy. The Graphite phone held on for an additional four hours as I remember after reading 0%...but eight hours??? I guess I would be thankful if I was stranded somewhere without a charger and this happened...but I really wish it would go ahead and die so I could stick it on a charger and get on with my day!!!

Battery graph also reports voltage, this is a great program for anyone who is interested in battery performance over time.

Interesting that your crimson is hanging on for so long. I reckon this might be how the 680 is, straight out of the box (Mine also hung on for a very long time the first time, but not for 8+ hours - are you trying to use it to drain it faster?), and as people use it and get it close to, or at, the false 0% and the battery warnings are flashing (which wouldnt take long if it is that far out of whack), the meter gradually becomes more calibrated each time that happens. This reinforces how worthwhile it is to do the calibration. I havent been checking in for a while - why are you getting a new 680? Did the old one die? It will be interesting to see if your meter works more consistently with this one (ie. drains just as fast in the top 50 as is does in the bottom 50%).
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    I havent been checking in for a while - why are you getting a new 680? Did the old one die?
    Nope, the old one is still ticking...

Truth be known...I just wanted a Crimson one . In fact, I was using my Graphite while the Crimson was charging until just an hour or so ago. It came off the charger at 96%...but I know from past experience that it gets better.

I'll be returning the Graphite as soon as the return labels from Cingular get to my mailbox.
    when i fully charge via usb, usually gets to 99 or 100%...then drains pretty rapidly. occaisional use and a few short phone calls, by the end of the day it's about 75%. playing a short 2 minute video seems to drop it 2%. it's like a minute of video will cost you a percentage of battery life. pretty crappy if you ask me.
    Hi all,

Starting this week I have had a very strange issue with the battery.
    I now go from 99% at about 10pm to less than 75% at 7am.
    No BT or IR running, radio on. Alarm goes off at 6:40am.
    last week and 99% of the time before that I might go down 4% to 95% over the same time period.
    What the fudge is going on. this really really sucks.
    the camera patch is in as it alway's has been. the only difference that I can think of is the time change that happend in Toronto last Sunday morning.

Any thoughts?
    You're getting 36 hours with the radio on, if the battery meter can be trusted (which it can't). You were getting 180 hours, which is not all that credible, so maybe your battery meter was not calibrated originally. The only way to tell for sure is to run it all the way down until it shuts itself off (under the same conditions) and see what the real value is. Otherwise you won't know whether this is a meter problem, a battery problem, or another problem.
    I have been on several non-Treo forums lately, and lots of people are getting way less than 36-hours on their "stupidphones", and are not all that concerned. But, although I know it's an issue...I read a lot of moaning and groaning about not getting over that time out of the battery of the 680. And I have read many post from people who compare it negatively to the 650 they used to carry.

From what I can tell...the battery in the 680 is roughly 1/2 the size of the 650due to it's body being slimmer and more compact. I'm not a rocket scientist, but wouldn't that mean that the battery capacity/life would be less as well?

I am getting a little more than 36-hours from full-charge to 20-30% on my recalibrated meter...and that's with lots of calls during the day, Versamail checking my email every 15-minutes, a smidgen or so of web surfing, etc. for a smartphone...that's pretty good I would think.
    Actually, you don't do that much according to your description. Those of us who use the 680 a lot, as we did the 650, get about 15 hours maximum. The problem is that the phone was not marketed as inferior to the 650, with only one-half the battery life. The natural assumption was that it performed as well as the 650, and perhaps 30 more, but not less. Fifteen hours simply isn't enough to afford those of us who need it the extra margin of getting to the end of the day with no sweat. That is what a lot of the complaints are about, and that's what mine is.
    I'm on my 4th 680, unlocked from palm.com. My first one suffered the "headset jack issue" so that my phone ear/speaker no longer worked (acted like a headset was plugged in, but the jack was empty).

So I got a replacement refurb shipped to me, under warranty. Out of the box, the digitizer was dead in the bottom left corner of the screen, about the size of a postage stamp. So the device was usable, but I couldn't click a lot of "Done/OK" buttons in the bottom left with thumb/stylus. Navigating w/ the 5-way worked fine. So I had a couple of business trips, and in the meantime called Palm for another replacement.

The 2nd replacement (3rd graphite) worked perfect. BUT, in the meantime I heard Palm was discontinuing the colored models, so I bought an unlocked Crimson (which I love, and had wanted, but it was out of stock when I originally bought the 680).

So on to the battery. On my 1st graphite 680, which I had for about 12 weeks, the battery life seemed to get better during the first 5 or 6 weeks. What seemed to help it the most was a couple of full-drain cycles like we're talking in this thread. Then, at the 6-week mark, Palm released the Camera (battery) patch. This put me in Happy Land. The day after installing that patch, I went to Mexico for 5 days, didn't use the phone at all while there but did play a few games on the plane and use PIM functions. Didn't charge the phone at all while there, and after 5 days came home with about a half charge (somewhere between 40 and 60%...don't remember exactly).

Now, with my brand new Crimson, I notice that the battery life is closer to what I had with my graphite in its early days. Unexplained drops of 20% overnight, etc. I've applied the Camera patch, and have done a few SIM-out, Reset while charging cycles, and it's a little better. Today I'm doing a full drain (playing TCPMP vid 'til it dies) and charge, and hoping that will take me back to Happy Land.

The interesting thing (to support the "Battery Meter in the problem" position) is that I'm using the exact same 2 batteries that I was previously using in my graphite. The new battery that came w/ the Crimson went in the box w/ the refurb graphite, and I'm selling it on ebay. Either of these batteries got me about 2 1/2 days of normal usage in my graphite (after the 6-week mark), but are only giving about 1 1/2 days in the Crimson. Hope I get back to Happy Land after a couple deep cycles.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Actually, you don't do that much according to your description. Those of us who use the 680 a lot, as we did the 650, get about 15 hours maximum. The problem is that the phone was not marketed as inferior to the 650, with only one-half the battery life. The natural assumption was that it performed as well as the 650, and perhaps 30 more, but not less. Fifteen hours simply isn't enough to afford those of us who need it the extra margin of getting to the end of the day with no sweat. That is what a lot of the complaints are about, and that's what mine is.
    I guess what I am getting at is the logical, practical aspect of the phone...no matter how it was marketed, or how much was assumed. Here is logic:

Smaller, slimmer form = smaller, slimmer battery
    Smaller, slimmer battery = lower battery capacity, shorter life-span

Yes, I would really like the battery to last 48+ hours...but it doesn't. And, from what I can tell, no matter how much bandwidth is wasted on this forum ranting and complaining about Palm's faults, deceptive marketing, poor planning, or whatever...it's not going to change anything, at least anytime soon. So...once again, here I go with logic again (it's my personality):

If I'm totally unhappy with a phone...I usually sell it and buy another one, rather than continue to be totally unhappy.

But then again...being a smartphone newbie and a Treo one at that...I don't have any benchmark to compare the 680 to. I am pretty happy with mine...
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by andmann View Post
    Hi all,

Starting this week I have had a very strange issue with the battery.
    I now go from 99% at about 10pm to less than 75% at 7am.
    No BT or IR running, radio on. Alarm goes off at 6:40am.
    last week and 99% of the time before that I might go down 4% to 95% over the same time period.
    What the fudge is going on. this really really sucks.
    the camera patch is in as it alway's has been. the only difference that I can think of is the time change that happend in Toronto last Sunday morning.

Any thoughts?
    Have you considered that it may be due to "The Glen Phenomenon"?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=138460
    9 hours draining at 2-3% per hour would give you a 25% drop. Try a soft reset to see if it fixes it. If it does, then I reckon this may be your problem.
    I guess what I am getting at is the logical, practical aspect of the phone...no matter how it was marketed, or how much was assumed. ...
    That seems more like fatalism than logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    That seems more like fatalism than logic.
    No, not fatalism at all. I have a very "it is what it is" outlook on most things. It's not that I don't see how something could be better (most things could), but I don't focus on the negative. I try to accentuate the positive, and accept the negative...by not making it my focal point. And, if I find something that I just am totally bummed by (phone, car...anything), I usually just replace it with something else that is at least more satisfactory.

It just seems to me that the negatives of this device are being beaten to death. But, I understand the nature of forums too. By and large...happy folks lurk and learn. Unhappy folks post a lot.

Of course, there are exceptions...
    No, not fatalism .... I have a very "it is what it is" outlook ...
    Hmmm.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast